GOLFMKV

Used GTI prices are nearly as high as those for new MK7.5s

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
While this is prob true most of the time, I'm pretty sure that auto manuf. have learned a thing or two here.

Trickling in cars allows them to basically charge whatever they want. People will pay it. Same goes for the dealerships.

I hope we get a flood of cars coming our way. Lord knows I'm looking. I just don't see that happening anytime soon.
I would agree with that at this point.

The message you're quoting is 9 months old so I was feeling more optimistic then 😂

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Heres my 2020 gti for sale at the dealer I traded to - its a bit under MSRP and under market price for an autobhan GTI

https://www.keyacuranh.com/used/Vol...Golf+GTI-3b763bb50a0e0a930e8aef9d1c8faa7d.htm

It also has Baun IC, Intake Upgrades, superpro RSB and OEM TCR diffuser, Authentic Oettinger spoiler painted by a killer body shop on there.

Price wise MSRP was around $38k, I paid 30.3k for it in July 2020, I traded it to the dealer for $30k even. But this is basically a perfect condition car for a pretty good price compared to a few months ago.

cb1111

Heres my 2020 gti for sale at the dealer I traded to - its a bit under MSRP and under market price for an autobhan GTI

https://www.keyacuranh.com/used/Vol...Golf+GTI-3b763bb50a0e0a930e8aef9d1c8faa7d.htm

It also has Baun IC, Intake Upgrades, superpro RSB and OEM TCR diffuser, Authentic Oettinger spoiler painted by a killer body shop on there.

Price wise MSRP was around $38k, I paid 30.3k for it in July 2020, I traded it to the dealer for $30k even. But this is basically a perfect condition car for a pretty good price compared to a few months ago.
Actually, that's pretty cheap (these days)

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Buying a car now unless you absolutely have to is just crazy. When car prices go back to normal so many people are going to be under water.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Buying a car now unless you absolutely have to is just crazy. When car prices go back to normal so many people are going to be under water.
Yup, been saying this for a long time now. putting 10k down on a car isn’t shit when you’re paying taxes on the car plus $8k+ Markup. When the depreciation hits no one is going to be able to get out of the cars they’ve bought during this time.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
84mo loan at 7.5% for a 30k car that they paid $42k for. Will be worth $17k in a year.
Yikes, doing the math makes it sound worse than crazy.

cb1111

84mo loan at 7.5% for a 30k car that they paid $42k for. Will be worth $17k in a year.
Not really a good example. In a year, your "investment in the car is $30k plus 7.5% or about $34.4. Thereafter, your investment goes up while the value continues to go down.

It is also a bit of a stretch to state that the car will lose 50% of its value in the first year. In actuality, the average new car loses about 20% of its value in the first year and then about 15% every year thereafter.

You can also look at the residuals on a lease to give you a rough estimate of what the car would be worth in 3 years.

Of course, all of this is a bit turned upside down with current conditions

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
There sure are an awful lot of assumptions being made here. In no way am I convinced that the prices of cars will ever return to pre pandemic figures. Why would they? Car companies have learned that they can charge whatever they want.
Absolutely correct.

Anyone saying there will be a crash in auto prices "when this is over" is just ignorant of the situation. There is 0 chance the market resets even after cars become available new again.

The supply chain crisis isnt ending anytime soon, there is going to be another 2-3 years of dealers sitting on 10-20% of the inventory they used to carry.

I wouldn't be surprised if this period swings the entire US car buying market into direct brand to consumer sales. These dealers cant survive selling 10 cars a month.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I wouldn't be surprised if this period swings the entire US car buying market into direct brand to consumer sales. These dealers cant survive selling 10 cars a month.
And consumers are tired of ADM. Dealers are their own worst enemy. Won't miss them at all. My two local dealers are both asking for $10k ADM on Golf R's. Guess who I'm not getting one from?