GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Critique my lap! Autocross @ Canaan Motor Club

vt_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn PP
I'd love feedback on my driving line. Today's event was the SCC of Vermont's autocross at Canaan Motor Club, and the SCCNH event is coming up in a few weeks. Temps today were miserably in the mid 50s and my RT660s were struggling for traction early on... I ended up airing down quite a bit to get to a point where I wasn't sliding around. My car is a bone stock Mk7 GTI (autobahn w/ PP). This was my fourth event with the car and I feel pretty comfortable with how it behaves... now I just need to learn how to drive!

I'll appreciate any feedback - here's the link: Video Link

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Looks like a fun course but you're leaving a ton of time on the track. You should have launched the car at the start, leaving seconds on the table by not using the full track during corners, you want to track out to the farthest point of the track to maximize speed during your corner exit. Keep at it!

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Looks like a fun course.

Whatever is bouncing around in your car on your turns, secure it or take it out.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Aside from what has already been said: You’re very smooth, which is a great place to start! Work on being on the throttle for a little longer, and braking later and harder. You’ll easily pick up a few seconds with just that.

I’m no pro, but this is simple advice that helped me.

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
Never been to Canaan but I’m feeling like this is a restricting auto cross style thing they have going on. Only thing I’ll mention is I don’t hear any tire squealing!!!!

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
My observations:
  1. On the sections without cones, you're driving in the middle of the track, with no apex or track out. Bagel's videos show a much faster line through the corners at Canaan.
  2. You're getting caught up behind the cones on the slaloms. It's particularly noticeable on the back straight before T5.
  3. Your car doesn't appear to be at the limit - you can go quite a bit faster around corners before you run out of traction.

vt_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn PP
Thanks for the advice everyone. To address a few of your comments:

I don’t know what that knocking sound is… the car is empty. Might be the camera mount but I’ll see if I can track that down.

I’m having trouble launching - I mostly just get wheel hop which is pretty unnerving and makes me feel like I’m breaking the car. I’d consider a dog one/motor mount upgrade but that will kick me out of stock class. Any tips or ideas here?

I appreciate the guidance about using more of the track and taking a perhaps wider but faster line through the sweeping corners. I’ll definitely be thinking about that next time.

Bagel, watching your runs was really helpful!

Kep, what do you mean when you say I’m getting caught behind the cones?

thanks again, everyone.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
You want to turn early (stay ahead) so that you can backside/late apex elements (think of trying to touch the cone with your back wheel, not front). By getting your turning done early, you don't have to "drive around" cones as much which also helps open up the exit of many elements.

36E87B3B-8D02-4F2F-98E1-AC0BC199B68A.jpeg