GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Class action lawsuit letter (Waterpump)

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
as Jake mentioned. It may not (shouldn't) matter. However it can and much is up to your dealer and their attitude. I would not rally hesitate to bring it in but you need to have a conversation with them and what you've done. Let them know your concerns, bribe them with quality donuts if you want

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
as Jake mentioned. It may not (shouldn't) matter. However it can and much is up to your dealer and their attitude. I would not rally hesitate to bring it in but you need to have a conversation with them and what you've done. Let them know your concerns, bribe them with quality donuts if you want
It's not up to the dealer. It's up to VW. The problem is that people don't seem to know this and take the dealers word. Again, insist that they submit the claim to VW. VW has specific criteria for what they will cover on a TD1 car. For my aux pump, the criteria was "was the pump or cooling system altered or modified".

That's it. It is not up to the dealer. You don't have a warranty with the dealer.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
A dealer has discretion on suggesting a scan is needed. You want them on your side treating them nicely can help

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Luckily I have 4+ dealers within a half hour so I have a few chances, but my main decision point right now is whether to...
  1. Go to a dealer now (before June 10), pay out of pocket, and submit for reimbursement.
  2. Go to another shop now (before June 10), pay out of pocket, and submit for reimbursement.
  3. Go to a dealer later (after June 10) and hope that this extended warranty covers it.
I'm leaning toward #3 at this point, as it avoids the paperwork and any other headaches with reimbursement. But the other options (especially option 2) are a bit more "immune" to possible TD1 concerns. And then there's the fact that the parts/labor are the same regardless of whether the failure is with the thermostat or water pump (i.e., they replace both at the same time), but in my particular case a dealer has already diagnosed it as a leaking thermostat, so maybe what I really need to do is start fresh (i.e. don't continue based on the diagnosis) and ask for a new water pump as more of a customer concern than a diagnosed failure?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
A dealer has discretion on suggesting a scan is needed. You want them on your side treating them nicely can help
I treated them nicely, bought 2 GTI's there, do my service there, and they still acted like asshats.

At the end of the day,, dealer has little say over something like a water pump.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
But the other options (especially option 2) are a bit more "immune" to possible TD1 concerns.
Why does it matter? If the car is TD1 it's TD1. There's like a 3% chance you're going to have a catastrophic engine failure. And I would say there's even less of a chance you're going to need that warranty for something in the future that wouldn't be flagged TD1 before VWoA approved the work.

I would go after June 10th and ask what they recommend based off of your former diagnosis. In my case they replaced the thermostat and the water pump together. The thermostat was stuck open and leaking. They also found a way to throw it a Recirculation Flap Motor for a completely unrelated issue.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Why does it matter? If the car is TD1 it's TD1. There's like a 3% chance you're going to have a catastrophic engine failure. And I would say there's even less of a chance you're going to need that warranty for something in the future that wouldn't be flagged TD1 before VWoA approved the work.
I'm already out of warranty (5yr/60k powertrain expired earlier this year) so the only warranty job I'll ever have is this water pump. When I say TD1, I just mean not getting a free water pump, nothing more. I have not yet had any warranty work denied (I've never had any powertrain issues) so any flagging hasn't happened yet.
I would go after June 10th and ask what they recommend based off of your former diagnosis.
Thanks!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Theres no reason not to have a water pump replaced under warranty, regardless of being tuned or stock.

There’s no scan required to diagnosis a leaking WP, thus it’s a non issue.

I personally haven’t had any water pump issues on my GTI (120,000 miles, owned since new) or my GLI (21,000 miles & owned since new), but I do know of dozens who’ve had the warranty work performed no questions asked on modded cars.

Idk what you guys think you’re saving by not having them fix this common issue for free, but TD1 would only apply to something like throwing a rod or melting a piston…your stage whatever tune doesn’t mean you can’t have them warranty interior rattles, crack sun roof, leaking water pump or anything else that has absolutely nothing to do with the tune.
I don't get it either - had several things fixed under warranty with no drama. The water pump leaking wasn't fixed as they said it wouldn't leak under pressure, of course it finally took a dump out of warranty so out of pocket...not really a big deal but if VW ever does make good on it I'll get my money back.

cb1111

I had an interesting discussion with someone who works recalls on the Federal side and her comment was that a waterpump shouldn't require a scan, but there is also nothing to stop a dealer from running a scan - which might result in a TD-1.

This shouldn't affect eligibility for getting a TSB/Service Action done under warranty (and certainly wouldn't affect a recall), but it might you jump through hoops with VW.

Dealers that routinely run scans when not required by a TSB/Service Action are usually very risk averse and will err on the side of caution and will deny warranty service if there is any question. That means that you'll need to call VW.

She didn't know anything about a waterpump class action/settlement/recall/TSB although, as a VW owner (a modded GTI) she knows all about VW waterpumps.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
It is powertrain - but the question is if VW requires a scan of the car for this repair. I'll try to get some clarity.

It was my understanding that 'powertrain' was any lubricated part.

Considering this is a known issue, I fail to see why they would scan it.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

All of the concern with scanning and TD1 etc. is really unfounded here w/r to the water pump issue - so many folks have had them replaced under warranty that are tuned/modified. You just have to "fight for your right" so to say if a dealer is giving you grief about it.

cb1111

All of the concern with scanning and TD1 etc. is really unfounded here w/r to the water pump issue - so many folks have had them replaced under warranty that are tuned/modified. You just have to "fight for your right" so to say if a dealer is giving you grief about it.
Correct. Some dealers have had chargebacks from VW so they've become very risk averse and will initially deny virtually any claim.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
this is why you need to talk to dealer. You need to make sure they don't scan it....some dealers will work with you some are just tools

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Dealer scanned for failed aux pump on my car.