GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What do you do with your added HP and TQ?

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
My cars have all been daily driver / weekend adventure mobiles. I have tuned 3 of them and look forward to tuning my Touareg TDI, when my emissions warranty expires @ 120K miles (currently 35). In my previous GTIs all I “did” with my extra power was get “extra tickets.”

Now, in my emissions-fixed Touareg TDI, I get my thrills out of hypermiling. I enjoy the car for what it is, and drive like a grandma to get 30 mpg (which I am actually able to do). Diesel is still $6.19-6.49 where I live.

Between now and when I get tuned @ 120K, I plan on starting a business which will require the ability to tow a few thousand pounds (and more with time). I am actually really looking forward to towing with the stock tune 3.0TDI and then comparing the differences after tuning, both in mileage and power.

Also, Touaregs drive great for what they are. I think of it as my “big GTI.”

Spade

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen
Mainly track, most of which is Time Trial, not just HPDE.

I use my E46 330i 6MT as daily. Got in the Golf yesterday to go to a Audi Club brewery meet (I rarely go to meets, if I do it must involve beer otherwise I can't spend much time with parked people). Golf absolutely stunk of track tires, salty sweat and soggy socks.

Attachments

• VW Daytona.jpg
    VW Daytona.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 59

tigeo

Autocross Champion
My cars have all been daily driver / weekend adventure mobiles. I have tuned 3 of them and look forward to tuning my Touareg TDI, when my emissions warranty expires @ 120K miles (currently 35). In my previous GTIs all I “did” with my extra power was get “extra tickets.”

Now, in my emissions-fixed Touareg TDI, I get my thrills out of hypermiling. I enjoy the car for what it is, and drive like a grandma to get 30 mpg (which I am actually able to do). Diesel is still $6.19-6.49 where I live.

Between now and when I get tuned @ 120K, I plan on starting a business which will require the ability to tow a few thousand pounds (and more with time). I am actually really looking forward to towing with the stock tune 3.0TDI and then comparing the differences after tuning, both in mileage and power.

You are going to wait for 85K miles to tune it? How long will that take at your annual mileage?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Almost exclusively take it to the tracks in the pacific northwest. There's lots of amazing mountain roads to cruise in but I'm rarely bombing it through them.

DSCF8448.jpg

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
All of the above. Today I was towing a 2000lb trailer on the highway and used it to merge safely.
My same use-case: more power for merge when heavy cargo loaded/towing. APR1 87 is just enough but having odd issues/CEL/codes limp mode/roigh run in idle that disappear when engine shut off/restarted, during/in high ambient temps >90 degrees.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT

Are you saving up for the extra cost of mods/repairs? I love the potential of Toureq TDIs but fear the repair/shop costs especially with "supply chain"...
Why not just find an older PowerWagon and tow with that?

https://www.motortrend.com/features/best-trucks-for-towing/

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Are you saving up for the extra cost of mods/repairs? I love the potential of Toureq TDIs but fear the repair/shop costs especially with "supply chain"...
Why not just find an older PowerWagon and tow with that?

https://www.motortrend.com/features/best-trucks-for-towing/

I bought a 2016 TDI that was stop-saled, so it has an in-service of 5/2019. These cars came with 10 year / 100K mile factory powertrain warranties, so my car is covered until 2029/100K. Also, being a TDI, it gets the Extended Emissions warranty which adds an additional 20K miles on top, so 120K coverage for the turbo, fueling, and emissions stuff.

The car is in immaculate condition, and I plan to invest heavily in proactive maintenance to avoid any unnecessary problems. I got a full health check done on it last week, 4 wheel alignment, oil + fuel filter change, and the shop foreman at New German Performance said it was one of the cleanest Touaregs he has seen, given its age.

I am not too worried about expensive repairs. The car is covered for years and I will delete the emissions system (only unreliable part of the car) when I tick 120K.

Also, this car’s build quality is another level than any other VW. By far the nicest VW ever produced, alongside the Phaeton (both are Piech cars). It is the same platform, factory, transmission, etc as the Porsche Cayenne.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
My same use-case: more power for merge when heavy cargo loaded/towing. APR1 87 is just enough but having odd issues/CEL/codes limp mode/roigh run in idle that disappear when engine shut off/restarted, during/in high ambient temps >90 degrees.

Are you using 87 octane or 91/93? Even though it’s an 87 tune, if you are towing you should absolutely be running premium.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
What situations are causing this? Did you read any codes? Thanks

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
What situations are causing this? Did you read any codes? Thanks
I'm still researching, but as mentioned in another thread, I've worked thru a couple problems...(i'll start own thread to avoid going too far OT here)

Codes:
Here's the text output on last CEL, limp mode. Turning car off and on extinguished the CEL and not had a repeat sinve despite hot heavy use under tow for another 2000 miles.

Obd2:
01 Engine
System description: 1.8l R4 TFSI
Software number: 8V0906264M
Software version: 0001
Hardware number: 06K907425B
Hardware version: H13

Faults:
P10B400 - Monitoring of injector cylinder 4
Malfunction detected
Intermittent
Priority - 2
Malfunction frequency counter - 1
Unlearning counter - 255
km-Mileage - 132733 km
Engine speed - 946.00 1/min
Normed load value - 3.5 %
Vehicle speed - 68 km/h
Coolant temperature - 85 °C
Intake air temperature - 47 °C
Ambient air pressure - 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30 - 13.535 V
Dynamic environmental data - 209628110E0211EC0211DC016411ED2110A60130139C000113981801
date - 2022-06-16 09:40:46

There was some rodent damage to wires back around 30k, wires spliced all good since.

So maybe some electrical connectors need a closer look elsewhere...inc sensors for ECU

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I'm still researching, but as mentioned in another thread, I've worked thru a couple problems...(i'll start own thread to avoid going too far OT here)

Codes:
Here's the text output on last CEL, limp mode. Turning car off and on extinguished the CEL and not had a repeat sinve despite hot heavy use under tow for another 2000 miles.

Obd2:
01 Engine
System description: 1.8l R4 TFSI
Software number: 8V0906264M
Software version: 0001
Hardware number: 06K907425B
Hardware version: H13

Faults:
P10B400 - Monitoring of injector cylinder 4
Malfunction detected
Intermittent
Priority - 2
Malfunction frequency counter - 1
Unlearning counter - 255
km-Mileage - 132733 km
Engine speed - 946.00 1/min
Normed load value - 3.5 %
Vehicle speed - 68 km/h
Coolant temperature - 85 °C
Intake air temperature - 47 °C
Ambient air pressure - 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30 - 13.535 V
Dynamic environmental data - 209628110E0211EC0211DC016411ED2110A60130139C000113981801
date - 2022-06-16 09:40:46

There was some rodent damage to wires back around 30k, wires spliced all good since.

So maybe some electrical connectors need a closer look elsewhere...inc sensors for ECU
I'm not an expert but if I had codes related to injectors, I'd want to get to the bottom of it soon.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
I'm not an expert but if I had codes related to injectors, I'd want to get to the bottom of it soon.
Thanks. Yep I concur but as you can see from the codes this latest CEL isnt specifically related to injectors- as one commenter noted, seems more like electrical issue...odd. So gotta track that down...

Fwiw I did have it looked at by a performance shop via ODIS but they did not pull injectors. Two applications of the VW additive per TSB seems to have "influenced" the earlier injector related codes and CEL, as in: 'none since except the one since - cut n pasted above text from app, above.

My next step is have it looked at again by another local tuner with vagcom. (And do another seperate item, suspension related)

My experience on both vcds long coding and the obd2 translatuon of that is limited, but I'm slowly working thru OBD Eleven app and forums to parse more if possible.

I'm not averse to putting in new injectors here at 82k, and a walnult blast clean even tho a tuner at 72k looked at by boroscope and said "less than usual", and latest Blackstone doesnt indicate issues.

I prefer to understand "why"/"what" vs "plug and chug" by throwing money at parts swaps, and dont mind paying foe expert insight.

An upgrade to intercooler for better IAT and heat soak tolerance for future hot ambient long term towing IS on the list too.

Last edited: