GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Just as an update, wanted to do everything step-wise.

This morning just had the shop weld on the vibrant 17950 resonator into the recommended location for the Golf R. I had them hold off on the vibrant 1127 muffler and I’m glad I did because it definitely would have made it too quiet.

My setup on my MK7 Golf R:

Stock DP -> vibrant 17950 -> Nameless 3” catback with the dual 5” mufflers

View attachment 248837

Like previously reported by many, the 17950 really is magic. It refined the system and cleaned up every bit of drone at every RPM range outside of the infamous 2500-3500 RPM zone; it calmed it down a bit, but I kind of knew it wouldn’t tackle it completely.

The resonator also tamed the volume about 10-15%, which is great and I don’t want the system any quieter hence not installing the muffler.

I think at this point I’m going to do the calculations for a 1/4 Jpipe resonator to tackle that specific 2500-3500 RPM zone then this will literally be a perfect 3” catback!

Side note:

I’m extremely sensitive to noise and drone (clearly) and if I had to leave it at what it is right now I’d be okay, but I believe I can truly achieve a drone free setup.

Took care of the valves with plug-in valve simulators so no codes on OBD11.

Also from a $$$ aspect, for all parts and installation thus far I’m in $1500 for a “dialed in for me” exhaust, which is reasonable given what other companies are charging for full systems that STILL need editing.

I think this setup is great for anyone with a Golf R who doesn’t want an aftermarket DP/doesn’t plan to go beyond Stage 1.
Did you have any rubbing on the driveshaft at all? That's been the main problem for me with my catback.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
whelp... that sounds so much better than the borla. As soon as this June GME spike hits Jake is going to be getting an email.

My waiting list is currently about three months long, prior to the 2-3 week lead time from payment till delivery. You you want it this summer I’d email sooner than later.

Slow season (during the winter) there’s normally little or no wait prior to the lead time .

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
My waiting list is currently about three months long, prior to the 2-3 week lead time from payment till delivery. You you want it this summer I’d email sooner than later.

Slow season (during the winter) there’s normally little or no wait prior to the lead time .
Just going off of many pics, videos by yourself and videos from others who buy your stuff

your stuff is worth the wait dude. No one could say different.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Made a short interior video.

That bitch sounds so damn good. Out of the factory the GTI sounds like a damn Tesla. There’s no emotion there.

yours isn’t all mousy and it isn’t crazy either. I dig it

may you plz change that clock on the radio. There’s a few better ones. That one irked me 😂

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Just going off of many pics, videos by yourself and videos from others who buy your stuff

your stuff is worth the wait dude. No one could say different.
Worth the wait and worth the price. It sucks that I had to go through the headache with the Borla, but he didn't have the stealth suitcase at the time so at the end of the day, I have no regrets.

That bitch sounds so damn good. Out of the factory the GTI sounds like a damn Tesla. There’s no emotion there.

yours isn’t all mousy and it isn’t crazy either. I dig it

may you plz change that clock on the radio. There’s a few better ones. That one irked me 😂
Thank you. Sounds a bit more gritty ever since I installed the BFI mounts. They compliment the exhaust.

Next customization, change clock face in honor of Keehs return. ;)

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Worth the wait and worth the price. It sucks that I had to go through the headache with the Borla, but he didn't have the stealth suitcase at the time so at the end of the day, I have no regrets.

Thank you. Sounds a bit more gritty ever since I installed the BFI mounts. They compliment the exhaust.

Next customization, change clock face in honor of Keehs return. ;)
Hahahaha

thnx!

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Maybe some of you can give me some perspective. I was cheap and bought a Rev9 exhaust (this was a mistake lol). It didn't fit right and I didn't like the sound, so I took it to a muffler shop and had them hack it up. They welded it directly to the DP, removed the two mufflers in the Y and replaced the small, 2nd resonator with a Borla XS muffler. I don't have any good pictures, so use the below picture for reference. As it sits now, I have the stock DP, then the og Rev9 resonator in the midpipe, the Borla XS muffler in the bend, and then straight through out the Y with no mufflers.
04157b53791ebf4f9a3b5ef975fb8d9c.jpg

I find the volume of this setup fine, but I think it sounds boomy on the interior, without much definition. Lots of deep, monotone humming. It's mostly drone free, but I definitely get some annoying drone between 2k-3k rpm on light throttle. I will shift down when climbing some grades just to get it out of that zone. Is this normal for a stock downpipe catback? I don't know if I'm just picky or it's because of my getto exhaust setup.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
You let them booger weld the midsection directly to your stock downpipe? With a stock down pipe and added muffler to the existing mufflers you have I wouldn’t expect much boomy drone - you may want to get under there and make sure nothing is making contact with the body and causing the actual resonance sound

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
My rev9 fit just fine, personally

I didn’t like how silent it was under 3500 rpm though. But it’s crazy how my experience was totally different.

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
You let them booger weld the midsection directly to your stock downpipe? With a stock down pipe and added muffler to the existing mufflers you have I wouldn’t expect much boomy drone - you may want to get under there and make sure nothing is making contact with the body and causing the actual resonance sound
Like I said, it was a mistake! (Trying to fix a mistake with another mistake really😆) The mid section wasn't quite long enough and so they had to use a small piece to fill the gap to the dp, and that piece is welded directly to it.

The og mufflers in the Y, like you see in the picture, are gone, it's just the resonator in the midpipe and the Borla in the bend now. There isn't any contact I can see. The question is, is the drone between 2k-3k caused by my janky setup or normal? I also have a feeling these engines just don't sound good, which is why inside it just sounds very monotone, without much "thrrrum."

Last edited: