Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I did a thing.
Screenshot_20220520-203431_Simos Tools.jpg

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'll pitch in $20 for a dyno comparison between a 4" and 3" downpipe on the same car with all other things being identical.

Sure you have plenty of time between fixing planes and the side gig.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'll pitch in $20 for a dyno comparison between a 4" and 3" downpipe on the same car with all other things being identical.

Sure you have plenty of time between fixing planes and the side gig.

Slow season is November-March so it’s definitely a possibility then. If nothing else it would make for a good YouTube video I’ll stand to make $1 on haha.

At some point I’ll be offering the same upper 4” DP with a FWD specific lower piece & optional 3.5” Midpipe so my is38 GTI could be the test subject for that.

I mean, who doesn’t want a beefcake 4” DP with a 4.5” 850hp rated emissions compliant GESI Gen2 cat. (I’m joking, very few people spend what the cat alone costs let alone what the DP & MP combo goes for).
5195AC88-C1B6-42AA-9399-50FD1363ABDB.jpeg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

On a is38 OTS tuned car like mine I’d suspect that’s in the neighborhood.

But, I’d also suspect significantly decreased WG duty cycle and lower EGT (greater headroom) on a pro tuned & or high horsepower setup.

These cars tend to run on obnoxiously tight A/R hot side exhaust housings, which in turn creates high drive pressure & EGT (neither of which are monitored BTW, but absolutely could & should be by those pushing the limits of this platform as they’re both critical to understanding the efficiency of any forced induction setup.

In layman’s terms, you don’t need a 4” Downpipe, but for guys pushing the limits the added flow would make more of a difference the more power they make (same linear gains with a larger CBE as well).

Also, since I was given the opportunity to develop Golf R parts I figured I’d kill three birds with one stone and make it 4”, as that’ll later trickle down to cover a GTI 4” option as well (and still a compliant option for the more mild Rs that don’t need 4”, but will benefit slightly non the less).

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I guess i would be more interested in the curve and the boost threshold rather than outright power

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
I mean, who doesn’t want a beefcake 4” DP with a 4.5” 850hp rated emissions compliant GESI Gen2 cat. (I’m joking, very few people spend what the cat alone costs let alone what the DP & MP combo goes for).View attachment 250109
It’s well worth it 👍👍👍 same dyno , tune & turbo over other Mk7/7.5 @15kw peak more 👍

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Shouldn't like because of the accident, but like the white bumper on the red. Harlequin

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I think you will also see a slight change in the HP/TQ curve.

I agree the curves would slide left so you’d see a lot more overall gains under the curve than peak numbers.

We’re about to find out, the car the prototype is being built on is going Vortex standard with a HPFP, so we won’t have before data for it in particular, but a wealth of information on that setup with 3” DPs to compare it to.

Also, the development car is getting my full TBE so it’ll remain 3.5” all the way till the rear suspension, where it’ll drop down to 3” out all four tips