GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best intercooler for a gti

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Interesting :unsure:

Forge pipes are pricey and the Majesty pipes need to be hacked to fit OEM IC. I wonder if there are any decent pipes that would fit this setup.
the G-Plus tubes fit OEM IC. no problems with the clamps either. but the temp sensor mount on the other hand...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hey, his installation methods are clearly working great, look at all the 1st places on the wall.
One of those even has one of my old STIs on it. Giggity giggity. Lol.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI

Attachments

• PXL_20220521_132811144.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220521_132811144.MP.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 73

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
So it seems it works pretty well.

Seems like a decent solution and easier to install.

Maybe I'll add one to my mistimoto and have all the cool air to myself.
But will it go on the same wall or opposite wall of your office? What will provide optimal office cooling?

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
There are links on the page above the charts that go to the intercooler tests, the data is not from other people. When you check out an individual test you'll find that they were done as you recommend.

I don't disagree with the advice to just pick one, they generally seem to perform about the same. I had only asked what you would suggest for getting better data since you said the tests do not replicate real-world.

In the links you've pointed out, there's a discrepancy in data which lead me to believe there's third party data included. His data for IE v1 and IE v2 claims to have 4 and 9 observations, respectively, but his IAT table have 19 and 12 data points, respectively. Did he decide to reinstall the intercoolers and do more pulls? Where did these extra 15 pulls on v1 and 3 on v2 come from? If Jeff was doing all the pulls, why did he use such a haphazard amount of pulls for each intercooler? Even in his IE v1 vs v2 test, Jeff said he did more pulls on the v2 which affected IAT data. I'm not saying the data is irrelevant or useless, I'm saying it should not be used as "proof" one intercooler is better than another.

At this point, I'm sure I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to mine. I'll just leave it what it is.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
In the links you've pointed out, there's a discrepancy in data which lead me to believe there's third party data included.
What reason do you have for taking this leap? It's easier to assume the guy is just not as perfect and consistent as he should be. I would assume there's more data for the IEv1 because maybe that's what he ran on his own time, and had more data for.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Thx. That’s what I figured. I was trying to see if there was a loophole with upgrading to a stock looking intercooler. And keeping the warranty.
Upgrading your IC will not void your warranty. I have yet to hear that happening to anybody. If your dealership tries pulling that bullshit, contact VWoA and tell them about it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Upgrading your IC will not void your warranty. I have yet to hear that happening to anybody. If your dealership tries pulling that bullshit, contact VWoA and tell them about it.

Dealer tried to deny my aux water pump, claiming I voided my warranty because of the tune. I told them my warranty isn't with them, it's with VWoA and to submit the claim. VW approved it.

Why dealers want to make themselves the bad guy, I'll never know. Let VW deny it and customer is mad at VW, not you.

Makes no sense.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
If you get a stock replacement it would be really difficult to even tell anything has been swapped, unless they're getting in there.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
In the links you've pointed out, there's a discrepancy in data which lead me to believe there's third party data included. His data for IE v1 and IE v2 claims to have 4 and 9 observations, respectively, but his IAT table have 19 and 12 data points, respectively. Did he decide to reinstall the intercoolers and do more pulls? Where did these extra 15 pulls on v1 and 3 on v2 come from? If Jeff was doing all the pulls, why did he use such a haphazard amount of pulls for each intercooler? Even in his IE v1 vs v2 test, Jeff said he did more pulls on the v2 which affected IAT data. I'm not saying the data is irrelevant or useless, I'm saying it should not be used as "proof" one intercooler is better than another.

At this point, I'm sure I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to mine. I'll just leave it what it is.
He is Jeff…. Got banned and created that user name to jump in posts and say “prove it” and argue with folks.

Makes for needing to take a double take when @GTIfan99 jumps in threads about catch cans 😂

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
He is Jeff…. Got banned and created that user name to jump in posts and say “prove it” and argue with folks.

Makes for needing to take a double take when @GTIfan99 jumps in threads about catch cans 😂

My CC/BL combo works awesome. Catches nothing on the street, 1/3 of the can fills per 60 min of track driving.

I will say, I don't think BM or BL work any better than the other. I think there's a huge quality control issue, as it seems to be luck of the draw if your PCV will smoke bad under hard right turns under braking.

And you brought this all on yourself. You didn't have to say CC three times and summon me.

Last edited: