GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best intercooler for a gti

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
In our experience with tuning almost every combination of hardware out there, the Do88 intercooler is one of the top performers that we come across.

Of course, some 1 off custom FMIC setups may perform better, but in the realm of stock location intercoolers, Do88 really knocks it out of the park. And as others mentioned, the benefit vs. cost is really well stacked in their favor.

The IE V1 intercooler was great if you ran an upgraded main radiator as it was slightly thinner than their V2 and some other intercoolers on the market, but V2 was definitely a significant improvement in the cooling department. Without back-to-back test data on the same vehicle under similar conditions, it's hard to make an accurate comparison against the Do88.

That said, Do88 is still our preference in the grand scheme of things having seen many different hardware setups.

Please see my reply above.

I see that you have edited your claim. (y)

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Is the stock location Magic still the best bang for the buck?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Is the stock location Magic still the best bang for the buck?
Direct fit, yeah. It's one of the biggest and still can be had for around 500 shipped. They have newer tube and fin models though, so double check you're getting the style you want.

I also think they have a newer design that's thinner.. maybe that's the tube and fin style though. The thread kinda died out awhile ago.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Anyone have experience or knowledge on the Bar-Tek intercooler for this platform? I bought my car used and I’m fairly certain that is the intercooler I have. There are zero markings on it that I can see except some stamped numbers on the bottom:

B4F9AED9-D73F-4F9D-9A7F-893AF2ACF641.jpeg

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The best intercooler is any aftermarket intercooler. Just get one and put it on right away.

Don't be like @GTIfan99 and put it in your living room. It doesn't work too well installed that way.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The best intercooler is any aftermarket intercooler. Just get one and put it on right away.

Don't be like @GTIfan99 and put it in your living room. It doesn't work too well installed that way.

Yeah, but his living room never gets more than 10 degrees above room temperature, since it was installed there.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Yeah, but his living room never gets more than 10 degrees above room temperature, since it was installed there.

I'm going to put a front mount in front of my ac unit 🙃

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Direct fit, yeah. It's one of the biggest and still can be had for around 500 shipped. They have newer tube and fin models though, so double check you're getting the style you want.

I also think they have a newer design that's thinner.. maybe that's the tube and fin style though. The thread kinda died out awhile ago.

I read somewhere that the tube and fin is supposed to dissipate heat better than the bar and plate...but companies use the bar and plate because its more durable and can take hits better on FMIC's. If there is any truth to that...then maybe a tube a fin would be better for a stock location IC since its behind the AC condenser and isn't subject to rocks like an FMIC would be?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I read somewhere that the tube and fin is supposed to dissipate heat better than the bar and plate...but companies use the bar and plate because its more durable and can take hits better on FMIC's. If there is any truth to that...then maybe a tube a fin would be better for a stock location IC since its behind the AC condenser and isn't subject to rocks like an FMIC would be?
Possible. I was always told tube and fin for fluid, bar and plate for gas/air. This could be very outdated information based on current tech.