GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

P00AF00 Wastegate

jjeziora

I’m just not a huge is38 fan due to the self seating insert that tends to eat itself when pushed.
You order the cobb ap and work with a tuner over email. unitronic is underpowered and has no resale value. you dont need a local tuner, almost no one uses a local tuner anymore.
cold or not an intercooler is always beneficial.
Thanks for the help. So I would buy an EQT or TPC + DP + Accessport, have someone install the new turbo + DP to start. Maybe IC next year. Then have someone remote tune for me. I see that EQT offers that if I went with a vortex. Otherwise with TPC I would have to find someone else who would tune my TPC turbo. Since I drive a DSG, I would also need a DSG tune I guess, so maybe another reason to go with EQT?

And the issue with the insert that you refer to, means you're saying that the other options would actually also be more reliable likely?

Cheers

jjeziora

Ok great - Thanks. I managed to find another place that deals with EQT/TPC and accessport not just Unitronic and IHI turbos. Will probably deal with them. They also mentioned they could definitely confirm if we actually need to replace the turbo which is a plus, so feeling more confident about a proper fix one way or another.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks for the help. So I would buy an EQT or TPC + DP + Accessport, have someone install the new turbo + DP to start. Maybe IC next year. Then have someone remote tune for me. I see that EQT offers that if I went with a vortex. Otherwise with TPC I would have to find someone else who would tune my TPC turbo. Since I drive a DSG, I would also need a DSG tune I guess, so maybe another reason to go with EQT?

And the issue with the insert that you refer to, means you're saying that the other options would actually also be more reliable likely?

Cheers
If you have an Access Port and get the TPC turbo you can still get a tune from any company that tunes on the Access Port including EQT. That's what I did when I got my TPC20 and then a remote dyno tune from EQT.

jjeziora

If you have an Access Port and get the TPC turbo you can still get a tune from any company that tunes on the Access Port including EQT. That's what I did when I got my TPC20 and then a remote dyno tune from EQT.
Ok cool, so you had EQT tune your TPC20 via remote dyno. So you would just need somewhere that you could pay to use the dyno for that.

How has your experience been overall with that? Any issues? I believe I have read some of your threads as well IIRC earlier this year when I was previously looking into all of this.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ok cool, so you had EQT tune your TPC20 via remote dyno. So you would just need somewhere that you could pay to use the dyno for that.

How has your experience been overall with that? Any issues? I believe I have read some of your threads as well IIRC earlier this year when I was previously looking into all of this.
Yes you find a dyno place that knows the Access Port and he will log it and send the log to EQT for revision. Mine was done in 3 hours and it was 8 revisions. It eliminates logging on the street, risking tickets and possibly taking a month or so for the final revised tune.

jjeziora

Haha I'm guessing you prefer doing your own logging!
Yes you find a dyno place that knows the Access Port and he will log it and send the log to EQT for revision. Mine was done in 3 hours and it was 8 revisions. It eliminates logging on the street, risking tickets and possibly taking a month or so for the final revised tune.
Appreciate the help. Does sound faster for sure, would have to look into where and how much this would cost.

jjeziora

Do my own “tuning” as well!
Haha yeah I was just looking at your thread and realized I had read most of it previously. I remember it now. Cool stuff, my car is cosmetically the same with stock wheels and suspension, plus also non-PP and 2015 model. Mine is Pure white though.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

Cheers
You most definitely need an IC before you go big turbo. I'm local to you - if you have any questions etc.. I'd be more than glad to help out, meet up, offer you candy from my van , whatever.

jjeziora

You most definitely need an IC before you go big turbo. I'm local to you - if you have any questions etc.. I'd be more than glad to help out, meet up, offer you candy from my van , whatever.
Lol candy sounds good! I actually noticed that you were from Toronto as I went through a bunch of threads throughout the day. Was already considering messaging you to pick your brain, so I appreciate you reaching out. You seem to know a lot more than me.

CollinK101

I had my GTI sitting on jacks for almost a month due to a backorder on a replacement wheel for my cracked wheel. Started it up this morning to a different sounding startup than normal but I expected that as it had not been started in a few weeks. As I was driving to work I noticed the EPC light come on but hadn't noticed any issues whatsoever so I didn't think of it too much. When I went to overtake someone I noticed that my boost was basically nonexistent. I am thinking I have the same issue as OP. Hoping some PB Blaster and lube will get me fixed up. This is the most promising-looking thread on this code as all the other ones say bad turbo and don't have any similar symptoms, unlike this thread.

TLDR: I have the same exact symptoms as OP and I will try penetrating fluid when I get home. Hopefully, this fixes my issues and I can get lube on the joints before Wisconsin's winter.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Thank you for this post!! This fixed my issue.

I usually drive my car near daily but I had Covid for 1.5 weeks so I didn't move the car, once I went to drive it I had this issue. EPC light + "Front assist not available" pops up and instant limp mode/loss of power. Car won't die, but feels like its about to. Turning the car off and on fixed it 50% of the time. Once the car was warmed up, I never had an issue and could stomp on the throttle without even a slight hesitation. If the car was cold and I got outside 3000 rpm the EPC light would pop and power would be cut. OBD11 scan comes up P00AF00 - supercharger boost control A module performance.

I reached to the wastegate and had to use all of my force (hindsight probably wasn't a wise idea haha) to move the rod so I could confirm that mine was at least corroded to the point it wasn't moving when the car was cold. When the car warmed up, the arm seemed to move fine as I wouldn't get the EPC light or power loss. After soaking the joints in WD-40 for a couple days, it now moves in and out like butter. I ordered some nickel-based anti seize to slab on there as well.
Life saver, I was dreading the $1000+ bill.

AlltrackIdiot

Car(s)
2017 VW ALLTRACK
Hey guys, I’ve got a 2017 Alltrack with an is38 that just threw the p00af code. Ive found that I’m able to move the waste gate actuator by hand, and it’ll stay in whatever position I leave it in.. does that sound normal or does that sound like I’ve got a bad actuator? I’ve heard the springs in them break, and I’m assuming the normal behavior should be for it to return open when off.

Also, when I move the waste gate actuator, I should be seeing a change in voltage right? My charge pressure uncond voltage through vagcom stays rock solid when moving it by hand.

Both of these things points me to bad actuator. Side note, my waste gate flapper seems a little loose. But I never got any over or under boost condition faults, it was running perfect until I got on it on the free way to pass, and was met with no boost pressure and the epic light.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!