GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Caliper painting questions

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Wanted to ask those of you who have painted your calipers which paint you'd recommend?

Planning on VHT exhaust primer followed with either VHT or just G2 paint as they don't recommend primer. Both seem to have good results and hold up well, but I'm curious how first hand results and use have been.

For those that used G2, did you brush it on or use a disposable aerosol can to apply it?

Thinking of decal stickers over stencils as clear coat is recommended with stencils and seems to get iffy on calipers and turning yellow. Some claim you have to let the clear cure for a week before install.. Decals with no clear seem to hold up well from my reading, but would love to hear feedback and clear used for those that have. 2K and VHT clear seem to be the most popular.

Pictures welcomed and thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MaxM97

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SEL 6MT
E16D0F25-815C-4625-A303-2FF5A69A3E9A.jpeg
35230ECB-48FF-4050-9DF8-ECAC52FB35BB.jpeg
E4BFD47B-4641-4AC3-B658-0C2107DE4453.jpeg

I used VHT Primer, Paint, and Clear with decals under the clear. They came out pretty well for my first time, with only a few runs. I cured them per the instructions on the back of the can after I finished each step. The paint was a little soft though, I have a few small nicks on them that happened during install.

Attachments

• D727459C-C541-440C-8E34-9CD5331AA75E.jpeg
    D727459C-C541-440C-8E34-9CD5331AA75E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I used G2 and have a thread around here somewhere with pics. I daily the car and it has held up well. I am hoping the weather holds out this week so I can wash it. I used badgeskins decals with no clear and brushed on the paint.

I’m holding off on a final review after some time has passed and I can see results after they have been put through the paces. Initial results look very promising.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
View attachment 249306View attachment 249307View attachment 249309
I used VHT Primer, Paint, and Clear with decals under the clear. They came out pretty well for my first time, with only a few runs. I cured them per the instructions on the back of the can after I finished each step. The paint was a little soft though, I have a few small nicks on them that happened during install.
Looks great. How has the clear held up so far?

Did you bake them, or do the 2 hour dry and install and final cure on the car? I assume since you used clear you baked. Was it messy at all if so?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I used G2 and have a thread around here somewhere with pics. I daily the car and it has held up well. I am hoping the weather holds out this week so I can wash it. I used badgeskins decals with no clear and brushed on the paint.

I’m holding off on a final review after some time has passed and I can see results after they have been put through the paces. Initial results look very promising.
Awesome write up, I must of missed it when I was searching the forum.

Did you color match or use their generic blue kit? Leaning toward that color for the 986 calipers.

I've got a wire caliper brush, and someone recommended getting some spare paint brushes for G2 at home depot for like 3 bucks each.

Did you just prep with brake cleaner and the provided wipes? I'll be doing them off the car so I can do multiple cleans of needed.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Awesome write up, I must of missed it when I was searching the forum.

Did you color match or use their generic blue kit? Leaning toward that color for the 986 calipers.

I've got a wire caliper brush, and someone recommended getting some spare paint brushes for G2 at home depot for like 3 bucks each.

Did you just prep with brake cleaner and the provided wipes? I'll be doing them off the car so I can do multiple cleans of needed.
Thanks.

Generic blue. I am impatient and figured it would be close enough. If you’re not matching body color, then it doesn’t matter.

Yes. Get some inexpensive artist paint brushes. The acid brush isn’t great.

no. I used some degreaser and cut it with water and scrubbed with a toothbrush. Tasted awful after. I used 400 grit and wet sanded to scuff the paint lightly to give it some tooth. I then used the brake clean and wiped them down. Then I painted.

MaxM97

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SEL 6MT
Looks great. How has the clear held up so far?

Did you bake them, or do the 2 hour dry and install and final cure on the car? I assume since you used clear you baked. Was it messy at all if so?
They’re holding up great, other than the nick I put in them when I was bleeding them.
I baked after paint and a second bake after clear. Not any more messy than traditional spray paint. When you bake them your kitchen will smell like a paint booth though…

a$ap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I've used VHT in the past and G2. VHT comes out with a better finish. G2 seems to be more durable and holds up better to pressure washer.
IMO I would choose G2. Only up close can you see the difference in finish. I would still clear coat over decal as well.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I used the G2 kit custom color matched to my Silk Blue Alltrack. This is after almost 3 years while changing my pads and rotors:

I painted them while they were on the car. I think it would have turned out better if I painted level so the paint could even out. I'm still relatively pleased with it.

I forgot to add that I brushed it on. To any critics out there, I know it's far from perfect, but at least demonstrates that the paint itself has held up nicely after 3 years.

IMG_20190630_174726.jpg

Last edited:

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I used the G2 kit custom color matched to my Silk Blue Alltrack. This is after almost 3 years while changing my pads and rotors:

I painted them while they were on the car. I think it would have turned out better if I painted level so the paint could even out. I'm still relatively pleased with it.

I forgot to add that I brushed it on. To any critics out there, I know it's far from perfect, but at least demonstrates that the paint itself has held up nicely after 3 years.

View attachment 249617
These look great. Any pics with the car?