GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Okay so here goes my attempt at a review:

Mk7 GTI, 6 speed MT. Coming from EQT stage 1, and I have also had APR's stage 1.

This turbo is very impressive and smooth. It was installed on Tuesday, and I have only done 1 highway run, and the drive back to my house, so its a short term review.

Obviously everyone is talking about how the power curve is clearly in the upper end, and it is, but I don't think that is a bad thing. It feels great. Stage 1 on the IS20 felt like it would just jerk around, and was a little more wild on the low end, but this completely tames that. This is a very smooth low end, and I am incredibly impressed with that.

Now getting on the highway is a lot of fun. Honestly, the power kind of sneaks up on you, and you look down and you're going 120mph and the car is still climbing like it was at 70mph. You can definitely feel the acceleration, it just takes a little bit and then you're in the real power band.

Overall, I'm very happy with this, no regrets, and for $1500 how can you go wrong? I'm having a lot of fun driving this, and I'll try and make a long term review once I get some real miles on it.

Just the kind of review I was looking for. MT coming from Stg1. Sounds like it's worth it in the end since everything feels smoother. I'll admit, while I like the lower range high tq of stg1, it is pretty janky. I've never said it was a smooth experience but appreciated the welcomed power in comparison to stock and staying emission compliant. I think I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Update

Just on a personal note, I'll be out of the office eventually (We're having another baby). But don't fret. If I'm gone when the update comes, the support team is likely going to take care of just calling each person and dealer that has flashed software. That way you'll get the update details directly from them, and we'll have all communication with the dealer fleshed out so there's no worries about getting charged for labor.

Looking very much so like we'll also have some European support shortly too!
Congrats Arin! I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone else, but all the info and communication with us about everything so far has been very much appreciated. It's rare these days to find a company that is as transparent as you guys and willing to help its customers get the best result possible. Especially since you have so many other platforms you guys support as well.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
One thing I want to mention that's super important that @riceburner touched on in his post.. Those with the DTR installed already, please check your wastegate voltages! It's very possible your voltages are too low which makes the wastegate too tight and possibly makes you throw a soft code for the wastegate. It will be a soft code so no CEL, however the soft codes on these cars still can limit HP for safety reasons. I've had and felt this happen before several times.

I really think some cars out there may have this issue and not even know it.

Here are some docs on how to check this and fix it.
http://mygolfmk7.com/2019/08/wastegate-first-adaptation-charge-pressure-actuator-p2563/
https://www.goapr.com/blog/post/is38_wastegate_settings/

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
I'm sure people would be happy to take your donations for a dyno day and/or a dragy setup.
You can do either for the price paid to go for a revision at an APR approved shop. If that amount of money was an issue then reconsider spending $1500 plus additions on a new turbo.

Nhjosh182

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Volkswagen GTI
You can do either for the price paid to go for a revision at an APR approved shop. If that amount of money was an issue then reconsider spending $1500 plus additions on a new turbo.
Who says it’s money related? Some people have things like jobs, significant others, dogs, other hobbies, etc. They sell a turbo and tune that you can drive away with and not have to worry about revisions or going to dynos.

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
Just the kind of review I was looking for. MT coming from Stg1. Sounds like it's worth it in the end since everything feels smoother. I'll admit, while I like the lower range high tq of stg1, it is pretty janky. I've never said it was a smooth experience but appreciated the welcomed power in comparison to stock and staying emission compliant. I think I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this.
Having drove APR DTR (DSG), Stage 1 High Torque (DSG), and Stage 1 Low Torque (6MT), the power curve is identical to the low torque in its delivery until 5000 rpm, where the DTR has a smooth but rapid surge to redline.

Stage 1 LT/ DTR turns replaces the shove with a linear surge until redline; you get a pull of torque rather than it being vomited out at 3000 rpm with the party over by 5500 😂

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Ostateballer

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI S PP/LP
V6N3WHq.jpg