GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
That is an interesting design choice too. Wonder what their reasoning is? Also, why does the GTI power fall off at the top where as the R doesn't?
I'll let one of the guys that actually tunes these things confirm, but I thought that with this size turbo, you're tuning around the HPFP in the mid rpm range and the LPFP at the top of the RPM range if you don't upgrade them.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
still here, i @ Arin@APR and he ignored me. i called apr and told them it whistles like crazy and they had no answer for me. its the worst part about this thing. if i knew it was going to sound like an f-250 i wouldnt of bought the thing
buys aftermarket turbo, is upset when it sounds like an aftermarket turbo. lolwut. Another episode of things you will only read on a vw forum.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion

The R has a different stock HPFP and LPFP? That's what I'm questioning. Just curious why the curve is different. I understand the measured power differences since the R is AWD, but why does the R curve flatten out up top but the GTI briefly peaks and then starts going back down again?

I guess looking at these more the R curve kinda does the same, it's just not as pronounced. Could just be how they translated their dyno charts to this graphic.

Last edited:

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
R has different head, intake cam and injectors. Raising the airflow up top exacerbates these differences, the gti is likely scaled back to stay in the safety margin.

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie
buys aftermarket turbo, is upset when it sounds like an aftermarket turbo. lolwut. Another episode of things you will only read on a vw forum.
Makes comments on shit they know nothing about, check. I bought the kit as soon as it was released and Apr didn't provide any sound clips or dynos. You're correct it's my fault for buying a product without fully researching it, but is it ok with you if I have some concerns?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
RageFaceNo-5ae79bcd3128340037321cb4.jpg

Last edited:

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
The R has a different stock HPFP and LPFP? That's what I'm questioning. Just curious why the curve is different. I understand the measured power differences since the R is AWD, but why does the R curve flatten out up top but the GTI briefly peaks and then starts going back down again?

I guess looking at these more the R curve kinda does the same, it's just not as pronounced. Could just be how they translated their dyno charts to this graphic.

Well before we speculate…the graphs aren’t scaled equally on x or y…

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
Makes comments on shit they know nothing about, check. I bought the kit as soon as it was released and Apr didn't provide any sound clips or dynos. You're correct it's my fault for buying a product without fully researching it, but is it ok with you if I have some concerns?
Oh the irony of this comment. My guy, what you are saying doesn't make any sense. ALL the aftermarket large turbo upgrades make more noise. Going into a large turbo upgrade and being mad that it makes more noise is like dating a stripper and being mad you're not the first guy she's been with. What were you expecting?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
...is like dating a stripper and being mad you're not the first guy she's been with. What were you expecting?
Wait, what?!?!?!
This is making some reaching assumptions. A stripper doesn't necessarily need to be loose as well. They could just be doing it to get through school or something, not because they are a nympho. I think if you replace "stripper" with "man or woman of the night," then sure.

I realize this doesn't add anything useful, but I just wanted to keep the off-topic-ness going strong in here.