GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will_s Night Blue GTI daily turned track build

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Wow Randy Pobst! Would be really interesting if he took your car out for a few laps and see what he could do as well. Great lap times and good to see you are getting a lot of seat time.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Wow Randy Pobst! Would be really interesting if he took your car out for a few laps and see what he could do as well. Great lap times and good to see you are getting a lot of seat time.
I was definitely hoping there was a way to talk him into taking our Will's car and mine out.. Maybe next time!

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Added a new car to the fleet last night. This 2003 330ci has done 235k miles but has been well maintained by the previous 2 owners. It will serve as a fun weekend car and scratch the itch I’ve had for an BMW straight six after I sold my E36 328i a few years back. Needs a few cosmetic things, and probably brakes/clutch in a few thousand miles, but overall in good shape.

86BD4901-7446-488C-94B7-44B5D7625459.jpeg
F362B0DB-0B8C-44F9-B850-4292AA532269.jpeg
0BF5B32C-7E59-4384-A6A9-5911407B6DCE.jpeg
4B8D9626-99DF-4646-9024-2D533958E16F.jpeg

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Well, this week I put down a deposit on my next car, a GR86 in Neptune (premium package w/ MT). I told the dealer I would also take the car in Red, Silver, or Trueno (dark) blue. Its going to be minimum 3 month wait, likely closer to 6, but I figured best to get the deposit in now.

As such I will begin slowly parting out the GTI, keeping the necessary stuff for tracking for as long as possible. I have some parts of the car and ready to go now and will be posting lots of stuff for sale in the coming weeks. Let me know if you want dibs on anything. Things that will be coming off the car and approximate prices:

Racingline Oil Cooler - BNIB - $425 (ready now)
Verus Diffuser - good condition - $400 (ready now)
BEC MK7.5 Golf R reps w/ built in LED - good condition - $300
PP Grille w/ Chrome strip - free
Rear wiper delete - free
Schroth Quick Fit Pro - great condition - $300
Stoptech ST60 w/ 355 rotors - I will clean change any needed parts before selling - $1500
Apex SM10 17x9 ET 42 - will likely come with used 200tw tires - $900 (tbd depending on state of tires)
Aerofabb rear spoiler extension - $50
Cobb AP w/ EQT St2 91oct - $600
ECS FMIC - $250
BFI Catch Can - $300
Baun Performance V1 Downpipe - $250
EQT Coilovers (normal) - $800

Probably some more stuff I forgot about.

I'm in search of the following parts to help w/ stock conversion:

OEM Halogen headlights for 15-17 GTI
OEM non-PP grill 15-17 GTI
OEM Austin wheels
OEM springs/dampers

This is going to be a fairly slow process as I will do aesthetic things first then performance mods last. Trying to do at least 3 more track days with the car, but might do 5-6 depending on how long the GR86 takes to come in. Reason I'm switching? Want to be better at RWD and driving stick. I think the GR86 will help me develop as a driver better than the GTI, and at the moment I don't use the practicality the GTI affords that often. I bike to work and pretty much just drive the car to the gym or on weekends. I thought about buying an SS 1LE but would prefer to save some cash for future expenses and have lower running costs.
BEC MK7.5 Golf R reps w/ built in LED - good condition - $300
PP Grille w/ Chrome strip - free
Rear wiper delete - free
Schroth Quick Fit Pro - great condition - $300
Apex SM10 17x9 ET 42 - will likely come with used 200tw tires - $900 (tbd depending on state of tires)

Just seeing this…interested in above if you come down to SoCal area for whatever reason. Have some stock pieces to swap if needed.

Just saying…
https://www.toyota.com/search-inven...teriorcolor/0WCH/interiorcolor/AM20?from=2022

Last edited:

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Yes, and great, I’ll reach out when it’s ready to go.
Hey man, hope you're doing well - I think I'm going a different direction with the downpipe. Good luck with everything!

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Well, we traded our BRZ for a new MK8 today :)

It is a 22 GTI SE, 6spd, plaid, Orxy White. Got it for $500 under MRSP and a good deal on the trade in value of the BRZ.

No mods planned yet other than tint. Maybe some wheels/tires. Will be a daily as the incoming GR86 will takeover track duties. Initial thoughts: everything is much better in person than in photos, and the tech has been very easy to use so far.

FADA12A7-386C-4050-9AE1-AD2FDC84E033.jpeg
A60869D1-81C9-494B-89BE-27BCEC4F9B61.jpeg
269B3581-405B-4E5A-9EDC-F406FBFCA266.jpeg

Fungshui

I can give you (free) the OEM business radio and telephone module if you want them.
Added a new car to the fleet last night. This 2003 330ci has done 235k miles but has been well maintained by the previous 2 owners. It will serve as a fun weekend car and scratch the itch I’ve had for an BMW straight six after I sold my E36 328i a few years back. Needs a few cosmetic things, and probably brakes/clutch in a few thousand miles, but overall in good shape.

View attachment 248322View attachment 248324View attachment 248323View attachment 248325

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Well, this weekend I sold the GTI :(

I bought the car new in September 2017. Thanks to dieselgate and the pending 7.5 refresh, GTI's were hilariously cheap. I got nearly 8k off MSRP, picking it up for $21.9k. It was the first new car I'd ever purchased and, aside from a cheap BMW my friend talked me into, the first car I bought myself that I really felt invested in.

5B7B8C77-57E1-40F8-BA8D-23533B5CC133.jpeg

The first two years I drove it were full of lots of road trips, canyon blasts and commuting. I did a lot of basic mods: wheels/tires, APR stage 1 tune, lowering springs, muffler delete, rear sway bar, cheap aesthetic stuff. The car was quick in a straight line, fun on a canyon road, and a decent commuter, but at the time I didn't have plans of tracking it. I got a few speeding tickets being young and dumb, but eventually realized that driving fast on public roads just didn't really feel safe or appeal to me anymore.

91FBBDA5-622D-4EA0-8EBD-491FC92E9269.jpeg
3D2BB87B-4A0D-4A1D-93BA-74096404E666.jpeg
A163043C-40A0-4CFE-A5EF-D86DCA8EABB9.jpeg
20680596-5F8B-40C5-9EF6-644BA32897D8.jpeg

In late 2019/early 2020 my friend introduced me to autocross. I was always a fan of racing growing up, so it was something I'd always told myself I'd do, but never gotten around to it. After joining him a few times up at Thunderhill, I decided what I really wanted to do was track the car, so then my build goals took on a totally different form.
2B827589-E91B-4D46-8CE8-DBE3D43F1857.jpeg

My first track day was June of 2020, running the Thunderhill 5 mile course. The car had a pretty basic setup. APR Stage 1, FMIC, Eibach RSB, APR Springs/Bilstein B8's w/ SuperPro camber plates, 235/40/18 Apex Advan V601, and Macan brakes w/ Ferodo DS2500. After my first track day, I detuned the car to stock power, thinking it would help me learn better, and also help with heat soak. I did my next few track days with that setup, and it was probably good to learn on a slightly less grippy tire and with lower power. I ran Thunderhill East, Laguna Seca and Sonoma once or twice each. I think my lap times were about 2:16 for T-Hill, 1:55 for Laguna and 2:04 for Sonoma. I remember thinking it would be hard to beat Cliff's times (a couple seconds faster per track) but that was my main goal.
387C1232-F52B-4CA2-87ED-BF5342E156BA.jpeg

In late 2020, around Nov/Dec, I swapped my old suspension out for EQT Coilovers, had the strut towers enlarged, and moved from 235s on a 8" wheel to 255's on a 9" wheel. I also added a JB4 to get a bit more power back. Through 2021, with more experience and a better setup, the lap times started to fall. I got below 2:10 at Thunderhill, around 1:47 at Laguna, and below 2:00 at Sonoma. The added power of the JB4 was nice, but I still was having issues with oil temps, so I decided to take a look at EQT's tuning, since in addition to having the extra power, I saw they also modified the cooling tables to help cool the car faster.
BF595B9C-E8D4-46B0-A941-8513CD546577.jpeg

The final iteration of my track build was complete by the end of 2021. Still on EQT coilovers, but now with nearly 330hp thanks to the EQT Stage 2 tune, a full harness/HANS device, Stoptech ST60 brakes, and grippy Falken RT660 tires. I set personal bests at Thunderhill East and West, both of which I believe are still records for MK6/7 GTIs. Although I wasn't able to make it back to Laguna and Sonoma with the setup, I believe my old times are still records there, and I'm confident I could've taken off 1-2s at each. The car still had some cooling issues, which I would've taken on this year, but ultimately I made the decision to sell the car and move on to a GR86. I think after the two years of tracking it I just realized that it wasn't the best platform to continuously be sinking money into, and I really wanted to learn to be quick with RWD and a stick, the opposite of what I had been driving. With used car values being so high, it ended up being a no brainer. I put the car back to stock and sold it to Carmax for 19k, less than 3k what I paid for it 5 years and 56.5k miles ago.

My final best times:
Thunderhill East (bypass): 2:02.33
Thunderhill West: 1:25.65
Laguna Seca: 1:44.06 (Hankook RS4)
Sonoma: 1:55.27 (Hankook RS4, JB4 power)

Some other fun stats:
18 track days
4 autocrosses
141mph in Mexico
1000+ miles in a day (12hr driving)
6 different sets of wheels
4 times blowing intercooler hoses off
3 speeding tickets
3 moves
2 jobs
$$$$$$ far too much money spent
Once hauled my entire 6 person dining room table, chairs and benches (still don’t know how that fit) with room to spare

616DB3FF-6768-4D63-A66E-8FFAEA6CC5D2.jpeg
29CA9EBE-6122-44DA-85DF-C3EFCCDF8BB7.jpeg

Overall - I couldn't be happier with my ownership experience. The car never let me down or gave me any issues (that I didn't cause), and it was just an incredibly reliable and practical car. If I learned anything, it’s to develop a vision for the car first, then buy the highest quality parts you can afford. IE, just do it right the first time around. Thanks to this community, I met lots of great people, got to track and work on the cars with them, and made friendships that will endure beyond my ownership of this car. I think the biggest highlight of the last few years was having 13 (!) GTIs/Rs assembled at Laguna Seca for a track day last year. That was a fantastic day and probably the biggest gathering of Golf's at a track that has happened on the West Cost in a while. At the end of the day I just wasn't using the car's utility, and with a new MK8 in the fleet, I could spare something less practical. I actually just got news today that my '23 GR86, premium MT in Neptune blue is on the way, so I should be getting it in about a month. Luckily, I still have a GTI to drive, when I inevitably miss the MK7.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Well with Randy Pobst as your instructor, of course you broke all records 😁

Awesome journey. Come back and share your 86 progress

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Will, I appreciate your help in guiding me as I learned to track my own GTI this past year. Best of luck in the GR86.
Bern

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Nice color. Looks like Cornflower blue.

Keep us updated. GolfMK7 is like a mafia , you can join but you can never leave