GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Mine thinks I ruined the car with the motor mounts. With the gti she hated the smf and clutch, now with the R in dsg, she hates the nvh. I am considering stepping down to the stage 1 inserts. I am at 500 miles now on the stage 2 and it has calmed down some, but not much.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Mine thinks I ruined the car with the motor mounts. With the gti she hated the smf and clutch, now with the R in dsg, she hates the nvh. I am considering stepping down to the stage 1 inserts. I am at 500 miles now on the stage 2 and it has calmed down some, but not much.
I would think anything beyond stage 1 is unnecessary for a street car.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I would think anything beyond stage 1 is unnecessary for a street car.
I drag race it about twice a month, and was getting alot of wheel hop. I will say that stage 2 solved that problem, but dont know if it is worth it.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Stage 1 mounts are fine, still enough NVH for her to notice. I haven't experienced wheel hop in a while, but I did install a front strut bar and lower bracing some time ago.

Her reaction when I first installed a dp to Borla S Type catback...yikes! Even that system got to me after a while. The "WTF" look on her face though...priceless.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Stage 1 mounts are fine, still enough NVH for her to notice. I haven't experienced wheel hop in a while, but I did install a front strut bar and lower bracing some time ago.

Her reaction when I first installed a dp to Borla S Type catback...yikes! Even that system got to me after a while. The "WTF" look on her face though...priceless.
I've gotten that look many times. Lol

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Anything with a DP without a resonator is stupid loud. It booms the cabin, causes everything to rattle. I didn't believe anyone here when they said that and I paired a Neuspeed catback to my Unitronic downpipe. I loved the noise, but not the vibrations; I ended up selling the catback.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I had the Borla resonator, it was useless after I installed the dp. I got Jake's vibrant midpipe and that helped the rasp, and drone, but it was still too loud and once it was on load, guh, it was unbearable. It fun for a little while.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Spent more time detailing the Scion XD I've had for 1 day than i have my Golf in 8 years.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
As the owner of a car equipped with a SMF, I agree with your wife. It sucks.
Installed stage 1 mounts before doing the clutch and the car sounded great. With the SMF, it is loud and grating inside. Like she said: a "metal on metal" sound. That is while driving, which doesn't include the clickety-clack sound of a broken sewing machine at idle.

The other issue is daily driveability and the questionable need for the advantages of a SMF on such a car. I'm sure it would be great on a road course, but like a straight piped exhaust, is the small benefit worth the aggravation of living with the downsides? Not for me.

I live in a hilly area, with lots of intersections right at the crest. Departing a steep hill from a dead stop really sucks. The lightweight flywheel's lack of inertia requires revving the car up a lot more than normal and it's a fine line between bogging it and spinning the tires.

And using reverse is just comically bad. The ridiculously tall gearing, coupled with the need to rev the engine higher is a terrible combination. There is no good way to crawl in reverse. As soon as you let out the clutch, the car is going too fast and you have to brake. Rinse and repeat several times for each occasion. Backing up hills with a SMF in this car? HAHAHAHA!

The gear ratio is all on VW. I mean, is reverse in this car designed for movie stunt drivers?

I 100% regret getting a SMF.

/ end rant

Last edited: