GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
FCPEuro offers VW, Valeo and Bosch...which ones would be the "last wipers you'd ever buy" if all can be purchased locally?
All of them.

Anything you buy from FCP euro comes with a lifetime warranty. That means once you buy a set of wipers you can simply return them, cover the cost of shipping, and get a new set of wiper for no extra cost.

dbaaj

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6sp DBP
Lifetime warranty on everything at fcpeuro, even wear items.

All of them.

Anything you buy from FCP euro comes with a lifetime warranty. That means once you buy a set of wipers you can simply return them, cover the cost of shipping, and get a new set of wiper for no extra cost.
Well, f*ck me running. Thanks for the info fellas. I'm just a little more educated now. Should have slept at a Holiday Inn Express.

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI
Well, f*ck me running. Thanks for the info fellas. I'm just a little more educated now. Should have slept at a Holiday Inn Express.
Yep. FCPEuro is the bomb on that stuff. Just bought new front/rear pads and rotors for my daughter's '19 Rabbit edition. When/IF you need to replace, you have to buy the new part, and you have a 90 day window to ship the old parts back. Admittedly, not going to be cheap to ship rotors back, but certainly cheaper than a new set.

FrgMstr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
19 R 19 GTI 15 GTI
Replaced from wheel bearing on my 2019 Rabbit Edition. Wrote up a review for ShopDAP on it. Will be interesting to see if they approve my review and post it. And I did not even get into having to beat the axle out of the bearing either. Here it is, hopefully for reading enjoyment.

Watch the ShopDAP video on how to replace this, theirs it spot on. That skinny dorky guy with the glasses, I think his name is Mortimer or something similar walks you through it perfectly, but he does make reference to your uninstall experience possibly being more difficult due your car possibly having a bit more oxidation. If by "more difficult" he means something on the level of trying to breed a mountain lion with a honey badger in your bathroom while you are covered in Vaseline, then he is spot on.

I bought a 2019 GTI that was a daily driver from Illinois. As an aside, never be stupid enough to do this. Ever. "You might have a bit more difficulty if you car has oxidation." Also the fact that some wheel "technician" crossthreaded two of the front wheel bolts is the reason for this install, and apparently points out that not only are the roads salty, but tire installers in Illinois are fairly pissed off as well, because there was no way those wheel bolts went back in without a breaker bar. That guy was saltier than any Illinois road assuredly. I have worked on my own cars for 20 years. I have never hit a car so hard or so many times with a ballpeen hammer in my entire life. I finally reached the moment of, "We are fixing this, or this GTI (Cornflower Blue Rabbit edition) is leaving on a flatbed after I put the fire out."

Helpful tips: 1. Deadblow hammers are useless on an Illinois daily driver. 2. Make sure you have at least a 3lb to 86lb ballpeen hammer on hand. 3. Soak everything with penetrating oil for at least 15 weeks. This will make no difference, but you will end up thinking, "Holy cow, imagine how hard this would have been had I not been smart enough to spray Kril-Oil on everything. 4. Make sure you have plenty of tape and kitchen sponges on hand, because you are going to want to wrap the axle splines up with something to prevent damage. As you are swinging your hammer like a Silver Back Gorilla on meth, stuff moves around a lot and you don't want that metal knuckle slamming into your splines repeatedly. Splines wrapped up with kitchen sponges and 23.73 feet of gaffers tape are happy splines, and if you damage the splines while in a fit of rage, it is likely you will use the ballpeen hammer on the person "helping" you, and dealing with that insists on an entirely different protocol that will require going to Walmart at 3:42am and buying plastic sheeting and a shovel....and that is not a good look on a security camera. 5. When the wheel hub finally breaks loose of the bearing housing (leaving it in the knuckle) make sure there is not anything you do not want severely damaged nearby. Also, prepare for the ultimate feeling of defeat, because you will think you have succeeded in your task only to find that you are in a worse spot than you started. At this point, you have truly gotten to "I am going to need a flatbed tow truck." 6. Have plenty of clean shops rags on hand. You will need this to wipe away all your tears at this time. Don't use the shop rags that have penetrating oil on them, you will just cry more, plus you will look like you just smoked out after the police show up because of the multiple noise complaints that were just called in by your neighbors. 7. Get a crowbar. One of those flat skinny one that have very sharp edges that are mostly used to pull nails out by carpenters. Get on the edges of where the fasteners thread into the bearing carrier and beat it like your little brother when he ratted you out to mom about your "magazine" stash. Work around the edges evenly. You will have to uninstall the dust panel to do this. Thankfully those Torx 30 head screws were not installed on Mount Olympus by Zeus himself, and remove fairly easily. 8. Once you see that it is moving out of the knuckle, just pry on it like someone who has no monetary commitment to the car. If you pry on it like you actually care about the vehicle it will not come off. 8. Use Liquid Bandage to glue up the slashing leg wound for when that last prying motion finally pops the bearing out and the very sharp crowbar jams into your thigh just missing your femoral artery. Super Glue works in a pinch but really really really burns. At this point your rage will have blinded you to the pain, so that will not actually matter. 9. That simple brass brush to clean out the housing for the reinstall is not going to cut it here. Electric drill with a wire wheel small enough to fit in the housing is suggested. Remove oxidation, test, remove oxidation, test. Keep repeating this. Remember you cannot put the oxidation back quickly as you remove if you make the housing hole too big.

After all that, put lube on every mating surface. "Mating surface" means where the parts actually touch each other and has nothing to do with plastic sheets. Preferably use a lubrification that is not sodium based. Thanks to Mortimer for the torque specs and instruction in his video. I actually printed up that screen shot with Mortimer and the torque specs and taped it to the garage wall. Not only will this give you much needed information at your bleeding fingertips, it will also give you something to focus your rage on. Torque everything correctly as this is extremely important. Not following torque specs is literally where the saying, "The wheels are falling off," came from. Roll down all the windows and test drive the car. If you start hearing "bad" noises from the newly installed wheel bearing and hub, drive the car directly to the dealership. They are paying top dollar for cars even in as bad of shape as yours is currently.

Thankfully, my installed Front Wheel Bearing worked perfectly for the mile I drove it and did not explode, nor did it burst into flame.

I will update this review at a later date to give actual information on if the Front Wheel Bearing keeps on keeping on. Actually that is a complete fabrication as I intend to somehow go all Men In Black and wipe this entire experience from my memory.

In summation, never buy a daily driver car from Illinois. Nothing against Illinois, my grammy lives there and I love her.

View attachment 243696 View attachment 243697 View attachment 243698 View attachment 243699 View attachment 243700 View attachment 243701 View attachment 243702
Sad to report that my wheel hub assembly review at ShopDAP did not make the cut and they did not post it. :(

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
All of them.

Not how it is suppose to go, but there are always loopholes to everything. You're supposed to buy a replacement, and then send the used ones for a refund. I'm about to do my oil change this weekend and send them the used oil for a refund.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Not how it is suppose to go, but there are always loopholes to everything. You're supposed to buy a replacement, and then send the used ones for a refund. I'm about to do my oil change this weekend and send them the used oil for a refund.
I grossly oversimplified but yes the correct way it goes is:

you buy item from FCP
you buy new item to replace original
you receive new item and rebox old item into new box
you cover shipping back to FCP, if you're local I'd bet you could drop it off in person
FCP credits your new invoice for the cost of the item on your previous invoice

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I grossly oversimplified but yes the correct way it goes is:

you buy item from FCP
you buy new item to replace original
you receive new item and rebox old item into new box
you cover shipping back to FCP, if you're local I'd bet you could drop it off in person
FCP credits your new invoice for the cost of the item on your previous invoice
*You pay with Paypal for $30 credit for return shipping 12x per year.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Admittedly, not going to be cheap to ship rotors back, but certainly cheaper than a new set.

Although too late for your situation....

I saw a video on YT that a guy paid for his oil with Paypal then when it was time to do an oil change, he bought what he needed (using PP again) and then used Paypal to return the item and he got a label from PP to ship back free - so all you are paying for is the parts - no shipping either way. You have to activate a setting in PP to allow this, so watch the video to see how to do this:

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Although too late for your situation....

I saw a video on YT that a guy paid for his oil with Paypal then when it was time to do an oil change, he bought what he needed (using PP again) and then used Paypal to return the item and he got a label from PP to ship back free - so all you are paying for is the parts - no shipping either way. You have to activate a setting in PP to allow this, so watch the video to see how to do this:

This is the way. I literally buy griots microfiber towels and send them back with my oil changes as padding for the box every 6 months or so.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This is the way. I literally buy griots microfiber towels and send them back with my oil changes as padding for the box every 6 months or so.

Damn. You're on a whole other level of gaming the system... I think I need to take a lesson...