GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Peeling/Bubbling tape in sunroof track

amsr

Ready to race!
The inside tray area in front of the mesh for my sunroof appears to have what looks like some sort of plastic or electrical tape applied to it. I noticed recently that it’s bubbling and peeling in some spots. Has anyone else noticed this? I haven’t noticed any leaks.

Car is a 2017 GTI SE with 64k miles.

Last edited:

amsr

Ready to race!
AB89F4C4-402C-4A60-B619-7649AD63EA3E.jpeg

CD0FECED-1A9C-4F04-901D-25C8ED20E87A.jpeg

FC71C541-81BC-4F58-98C1-D1803DD74AB9.jpeg

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
I have the same problem on my car. I noticed it when I was test driving the car and asked the dealer about it. They said it’s normal. My guess is that it is part of the sunroof bezel cracking issues and this is their mitigation. VW thought it was cheaper to put tape on new builds to prevent cracking rather than a costly redesign of the roof assembly. Are you still in warranty?

amsr

Ready to race!
I have the same problem on my car. I noticed it when I was test driving the car and asked the dealer about it. They said it’s normal. My guess is that it is part of the sunroof bezel cracking issues and this is their mitigation. VW thought it was cheaper to put tape on new builds to prevent cracking rather than a costly redesign of the roof assembly. Are you still in warranty?
No not in warranty. I have an extended warranty. Maybe they will cover it?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
State your VIN and you will have your answer.

amsr

Ready to race!
Yeah I figured it out. Looks like my VIN is after this TSB. But I still have the tape? I guess it was applied at the factory?

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
AFAIK they started applying the tape from the factory. Wouldn't hurt to replace with fresh tape. Or just leave it if you dont have any leaks lol.

amsr

Ready to race!
The dealer is going to re-apply it per the TSB on the issue. Its not leaking AFIAK but the dealer tech said they did a ton of the tape kits during the 2015-2017 period and haven't seen anyone come back to complain so far so they think its a good idea to fix the tape since it seems to have worked (at least in my case). I guess in theory they could discover a crack under the tape when they remove it, but they haven't seen that. I guess I'll find out!

amsr

Ready to race!
They replace the tape and apparently it was not cracked underneath. Still, it’s not very confidence inspiring.

The VW drive easy extended warranty denied coverage claiming that it was a cosmetic issue. Interestingly they say they would’ve covered it if it had caused a leak. So an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, unless you are this warranty that would rather pay for a new sunroof frame and water damage vs a roll of tape.