GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Conner, you come to VIR and I’ll come to Laguna Seca 🤝 😆
Hah! That’s why I’m heading to Barber Motorsports Park next weekend for the first time. Got a track buddy in Atlanta and I gave him a choice of Road Atlanta or Barber. And he chose Barber. So that my first track away from VIR. I’m looking forward to Barber. Still want to do Road Atlanta, but want to get my carbon cleaning done and injectors cleaned and tested. Lots of wide open throttle at RA.

Laguna is on the list along with Watkins Glen.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
@Ronnie_B Dude you are smoking me through Hogpen!! By 5-6mph. I gain or can generally gap cars coming down through roller coaster onto the front straight. You are acing that section.

You are matching my Vmax down the front straight at 136mph but are doing so before the 6-brake marker while I’m driving hard down the 5-4 brake marker. The same on the back straight. You’re hitting 142mph at the 4-3 brake marker while I’m braking at the 2.5-2 brake marker. The Mk6 has shorter gearing than the MK7 and seems to be making some time. Especially down the straights. I’m driving deeper and I’m only just matching your Vmax down the straights. Your lines are all good. We are running the same lines. The only place that I’m gaining on you is the entry to Nascar/T3. You are still coasting into the brake zone. Overall I’m gaining a second on you in Sector 2. And the a few tenths up through the essess in Sector 3. Fairly even through sector 4 down the back straight. Scooch up your brake marker a couple car lengths and you have me beat. You have me by half a second down through roller coaster into the last sector.

We are using two different Harry’s LapTimer maps. So sector 1 and the last sector do not match. All the others are the same 2 thru 4.

You are haulin ass my friend.

Last edited:

jimchennnn

Car(s)
2016 Gti
@Mini7
Hey, what's up man, great track thread you have going on here, I am new to the MK7 platform went through your thread and it's super helpful.

Quick question, do you still street/daily drive the MK7 as it currently sits, if so how's the suspension compliance on the street? I am planning on going 9k front and 12k rear spring rate, but kinda concerned it's gonna be super bumpy on the street.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
My car is still my daily driver. I know every bump and hole to avoid on my commute so it isn’t too bad. I’d say it all depends on the quality of the roads where you live. The ride is firm but well controlled by my Ohlins. Currently running 8 clicks from hard in the front/5 clicks rear. Raised or recessed manhole covers suck. As do some abrupt bridge transitions.

I have gotten used to my car with each suspension mod. The BFI engine and transmission mount was the most noticeable NVH mod.

Get your shocks valved appropriately for the springs. Go with a 7” spring with a helper/assist. Front and rear.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I have gotten used to my car with each suspension mod. The BFI engine and transmission mount was the most noticeable NVH mod.

Get your shocks valved appropriately for the springs. Go with a 7” spring with a helper/assist. Front and rear.
That's interesting. I'd have figured it would be the camber plates or LCA. I can barely tell my BFIs are there once the car is moving. Ohlins doing work!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The BFI mounts were noticeable in terms of added vibration being transmitted. Mostly during the cold start cycle. Not really noticeable under way.

For me Camber plates are not an issue no discernable difference between fixed camber plates. I had the O34’s before moving to Vorshlag. If fixed style camber plates are too noisy for you them going full metal will not be an option.
On smooth roads, superpro bushings or even spherical bearings will not be bad. On good concrete they sound like noisy tires. On crappy roads and surfaces the harshness comes through to the cabin for sure.

About to install the Verkline LCA’s and expect the NVH to increase. At this point I’m ALL IN. Working on getting the suspension dialed in for the track. Once all of this is installed, I will focus on setup to get the handling balance the way I want. With the 30mm front track increase in “track spec”, I’m hoping the Verkline will give the communication and sharp turn-in I’m looking for from the front of the car.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What is your fender to ground measurement? I’m at 26” FTG which is a moderate 5/8” drop. A 1.5” drop is a significant drop in my opinion. Ride height drop can be subjective.

Id think you will be OK, especially if you have the ability to dial in some camber.
I'm at 25 1/4 front and rear with 255 40 17 on 18 x 8.5 45mm offset with no rub, -1.8 front and -1.4 rear right now. I was at -2.4 front and -1.8 rear before I backed off the front neg camber I dialed in with slotting the strut towers, springs were contracting strut tower when got any amount of steering angle. Made horrible noises. Quiet as a church mouse now. I was worried about the rear, but I have a 6k spring now, and no rub. I have a buddy with a little bit lower ride height and 255 35 18 RT660's that rubbed horribly in the rear on compression. There are so many variables that go into the will it or won't it rub question.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
The BFI mounts were noticeable in terms of added vibration being transmitted. Mostly during the cold start cycle. Not really noticeable under way.

For me Camber plates are not an issue no discernable difference between fixed camber plates. I had the O34’s before moving to Vorshlag. If fixed style camber plates are too noisy for you them going full metal will not be an option.
On smooth roads, superpro bushings or even spherical bearings will not be bad. On good concrete they sound like noisy tires. On crappy roads and surfaces the harshness comes through to the cabin for sure.

About to install the Verkline LCA’s and expect the NVH to increase. At this point I’m ALL IN. Working on getting the suspension dialed in for the track. Once all of this is installed, I will focus on setup to get the handling balance the way I want. With the 30mm front track increase in “track spec”, I’m hoping the Verkline will give the communication and sharp turn-in I’m looking for from the front of the car.
I also am going to be doing some BFI mounts soon, I appreciate your insight on that.

I'm very much considering going kinda all in on the track prep on my wagon, working remotely not I don't really "daily drive" it any more, so it's not too much of a concern on NVH or anything..

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I'm at 25 1/4 front and rear with 255 40 17 on 18 x 8.5 45mm offset with no rub, -1.8 front and -1.4 rear right now. I was at -2.4 front and -1.8 rear before I backed off the front neg camber I dialed in with slotting the strut towers, springs were contracting strut tower when got any amount of steering angle. Made horrible noises. Quiet as a church mouse now. I was worried about the rear, but I have a 6k spring now, and no rub. I have a buddy with a little bit lower ride height and 255 35 18 RT660's that rubbed horribly in the rear on compression. There are so many variables that go into the will it or won't it rub question.
What are your front spring rates at?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What are your front spring rates at?
Stock is claimed to be 175 lbs, I'm using APR front springs, which are claimed 15% to 20% stiffer. So roughly 200 ish, but both are progressive. I cut the front bumpstop 3/4 of an inch. Though APR also claims .5 to .75 inch drop, when it's actually a full inch or more, so the spring rate is to be taken with a grain of salt.

I have 336 lbs linear Swift springs (6k) in the rear with Eibach assist springs.

I'm thinking about going to 265 35 18 on 9 inch wheels and have a set of R front springs in the garage. Since my rear setup is height adjustable, it'll give me an easy path to a little extra ride height and clearance and the R rate is claimed 195 lbs.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion

I'm just using stock LCAs with solid rubber bushings and that added a surprising amount of road feedback. Camber plates are just about the only heim joint that would be worth it to me, if I'm ditching the stock mounts I'd at least want to get adjustability out of it.
Did the Vorshlag plates eat up any strut travel that you noticed?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
My car is still my daily driver. I know every bump and hole to avoid on my commute so it isn’t too bad. I’d say it all depends on the quality of the roads where you live. The ride is firm but well controlled by my Ohlins. Currently running 8 clicks from hard in the front/5 clicks rear. Raised or recessed manhole covers suck. As do some abrupt bridge transitions.

HOLY STIFF SHOCK SETTINGS!

For real though, I run probably 15-20 clicks off from full stiff on my ohlins. I don't remember if you have a re-valve, so maybe it's different for you, but for me, those shock settings would rattle my teeth on the midwest crap roads.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Stock is claimed to be 175 lbs, I'm using APR front springs, which are claimed 15% to 20% stiffer. So roughly 200 ish, but both are progressive. I cut the front bumpstop 3/4 of an inch. Though APR also claims .5 to .75 inch drop, when it's actually a full inch or more, so the spring rate is to be taken with a grain of salt.

I have 336 lbs linear Swift springs (6k) in the rear with Eibach assist springs.

I'm thinking about going to 265 35 18 on 9 inch wheels and have a set of R front springs in the garage. Since my rear setup is height adjustable, it'll give me an easy path to a little extra ride height and clearance and the R rate is claimed 195 lbs.
Right rear fuel filler pipe will come into play with a 265. What tire are you thinking of running?

I need to find a good HPDE tire that can handle a 25-30min session once I have used up my R888R’s. I really don’t like them. Still prefer NT01’s but they do not make a 255 in 18”. There are faster tires out there over a couple laps. NT01’s are super consistent and can hang in for a full session and don’t heat cycle out.

The RT660’s run wider than most other tires. Is that correct?