GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Why do the labor twice? Makes no sense, but you guys do what you want, it's your money, your car.
It makes sense for me. I only drive 8 miles a day, all flat smooth roads, and never track. If and when the stock shocks go, I have no problem swapping in a more robust setup.
I do appreciate the insight.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Why do the labor twice? Makes no sense, but you guys do what you want, it's your money, your car.

"I don't know what everyone is talking about. My car rides fine with the stock shocks on lowering springs."

5k miles later....

"Ouch owie my shocks!"

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It makes sense for me. I only drive 8 miles a day, all flat smooth roads, and never track. If and when the stock shocks go, I have no problem swapping in a more robust setup.
I do appreciate the insight.

Unfortunately, in those conditions you won't know until a car pulls out in front of you and you plow into them.

Just trust me, it's a night and day difference in handling. Under braking, you'll be straight into the bumpstops, meaning you'll have zero ability to steer. I'm telling you from experience.

Again, you're car, but at best, this only ends with needing better shocks.

Last edited:

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Unfortunately, in those conditions you won't know until a car pulls out in front of you and you plow into them.

Just trust me, it's a night and day difference in handling. Under braking, you'll be straight into the bumpstops, meaning you'll have zero ability to steer. I'm telling you from experience.

Again, you're car, but at best, this only ends with needing better shocks.
That’s a fair point.
Which Koni’s did you go with?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That’s a fair point.
Which Koni’s did you go with?

I did the konis sports. They're a little much for just street driving, but not bad. That's a half turn in rear from full soft and i replaced APR rear springs with a much stiffer spring. They'd likely be acceptable to most if set to full soft with APR. It'll give you room to adjust if you decide to play around autocrossing or tracking in the future.

For 100% street, you know you'll never want stiffer springs, the Bilsteins are probably the better option.

If you do choose the konis, the paint is super thick and a challenge to install. If you choose them, get a real knuckle spreader, clean inside the chuckles really well, apply a little grease to the bottom of the struts and be patient. I even sanded the paint down some before install in the area that goes into the knuckle.

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I did the konis sports. They're a little much for just street driving, but not bad. That's a half turn in rear from full soft and i replaced APR rear springs with a much stiffer spring. They'd likely be acceptable to most if set to full soft with APR. It'll give you room to adjust if you decide to play around autocrossing or tracking in the future.

For 100% street, you know you'll never want stiffer springs, the Bilsteins are probably the better option.

If you do choose the konis, the paint is super thick and a challenge to install. If you choose them, get a real knuckle spreader, clean inside the chuckles really well, apply a little grease to the bottom of the struts and be patient. I even sanded the paint down some before install in the area that goes into the knuckle.
I appreciate the thorough response! I’ll likely look into the bilsteins.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Worked on the Tiguan again this weekend…

Got the 2nd pair of wheel adapters in and had the tires swapped over to the 10.5” - real tight fitting the 10.5” up front lol- I’ve got 5mm between the wheel and the shock body and as you can see the outer lips already poking at that point. and Installed the new to me fortune auto 510 coil overs (10k fronts,8k rears right now)
03945D5F-D2A1-4536-85F8-6F235563249E.jpeg
65A827A7-7518-4088-9284-B1BE9BDE7970.jpeg
FAEA7865-FBCD-4254-B947-99EF980D5583.jpeg

still going to dial in the heights some more and square up the rear - camber to get the poke to match the fronts better.

But so far - wow to these ride amazing, I was expecting it to be much stiffer, (former setup was 205lbs progressive fronts and 230 rears) but the quality and specs valving of the shocks make it’s still very smooth and crazy predicable and controlled, even with all seasons and oem sway bars it’s flat through a pushing turn. *and yay no more rubbing or crashing thuds on the bumpstops.

*also used the punch on these as well for access to the plates.

00A7A346-D1AB-42DF-83B6-92DC400A54EC.jpeg
2089B937-E3ED-4EF7-BD23-2E20B0ECCAB6.jpeg
95E978CF-E914-486E-B63A-2039CE7BA72A.jpeg

Current stance pics *final buffering

55B594DC-F708-4026-8B85-43A61DF01A5C.jpeg
5E41A7FB-611E-4A05-9C24-F9A7F374FB28.jpeg
CE8D6167-0511-4983-8E4D-5D24C488E729.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
A lowered SUV looks so wrong to me...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
It's the uncanny resemblance to a wagon.

Which, I mean, technically he just has a shorter wagon...
So should have gotten a WRX wagon instead lol