GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coil overs or shocks and springs?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It's not about "preload". Its about getting the ride height exactly where I want it. I had a Mk3 back in 1998...and I went through three different sets of springs. None gave me the ride height I wanted. Ended up with coilovers. Since then...that's what I used if I wanted to lower my car.
Preload is how you adjust ride height on those. Some folks are happy to save the 200 because they don't care about exact ride height adjustments was my comment. But yes if that's something the OP wants by all means the B14 is a quality set.

Last edited:

GTI_JoEy

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE 6SPD M
2020 Mk7.5 SE 6MT and currently stage 2 on stock suspension. Would like to know exactly what combo I could get for my car, whether it’s Eibach, or h&r I just need to be pointed in the right direction for which shock/strut I should get to pair with those springs. Not getting coils as this is my DD. I know this has been beaten to death but I keep googling and get so many different options that I just don’t know which route to take.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
2020 Mk7.5 SE 6MT and currently stage 2 on stock suspension. Would like to know exactly what combo I could get for my car, whether it’s Eibach, or h&r I just need to be pointed in the right direction for which shock/strut I should get to pair with those springs. Not getting coils as this is my DD. I know this has been beaten to death but I keep googling and get so many different options that I just don’t know which route to take.
For either Eibach or H&R - it's the Bilstein B8 or the Koni Sport (yellow).

GTI_JoEy

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE 6SPD M
For either Eibach or H&R - it's the Bilstein B8 or the Koni Sport (yellow).
Yes, this I know, but as I keep searching and putting my cars details I keep getting “does not fit, so honestly idk what to choose or where to look anymore.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yes, this I know, but as I keep searching and putting my cars details I keep getting “does not fit, so honestly idk what to choose or where to look anymore.
Keep in mind your 2021 GTI is the same as all the MK7 GTIs w/r to the suspension components and they just don't list the 2021 is my guess.

Product Search Results - BILSTEIN

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I think he has a 2020, but I've been able to find springs for mine without issues. This is just from FCP Euro, but even Tire Rack pulls up springs and coilovers that fit.

Joey, I used to frequent the Yonker's area a lot when I lived in Washington Heights in my younger days. Keep me updated with whatever setup you choose. These NY roads are rough and I've been holding off till I ran into some lowered GTI owners for feedback. I've narrowed my choice to either Bilstein B8's paired with H&R OE Sport Springs, or Bilstein B14's. Of course, that's "if" I decide to lower my GTI. Good luck.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-lowering-spring-kit-h-r-54787-55
1645647222984.png

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT

Also, do you have DCC? I believe it was an option on the 2020 SE models as it’s standard on the Autobahns

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I think he has a 2020, but I've been able to find springs for mine without issues. This is just from FCP Euro, but even Tire Rack pulls up springs and coilovers that fit.

Joey, I used to frequent the Yonker's area a lot when I lived in Washington Heights in my younger days. Keep me updated with whatever setup you choose. These NY roads are rough and I've been holding off till I ran into some lowered GTI owners for feedback. I've narrowed my choice to either Bilstein B8's paired with H&R OE Sport Springs, or Bilstein B14's. Of course, that's "if" I decide to lower my GTI. Good luck.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-lowering-spring-kit-h-r-54787-55
View attachment 240407
Got it - doesn't matter - MK7 is MK7 w/r to springs/dampers on the GTI but as stated, DCC or not is the only difference between the models.

JLBGTI13

Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Given the title of this thread, I think my question is related. I autox my daily '17 SE PP so I'm debating springs/shock upgrade vs. coilovers.
I'm wondering if the added expense for the adjustability is necessary ? Any feedback is appreciated. TIA

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Given the title of this thread, I think my question is related. I autox my daily '17 SE PP so I'm debating springs/shock upgrade vs. coilovers.
I'm wondering if the added expense for the adjustability is necessary ? Any feedback is appreciated. TIA
Necessary? No.

I AX with koni yellows. They're good for DD and AX.

Coilovers may help with fine tuning height vs available travel but imo you are better off getting alignment improved and front rear roll resiatance set to match your alignment.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
How do they ride on shitty roads?

I drove through a really choppy highway at around 80mph. At least for me...it wasn't too bad considering they are coilovers. It was rough...I'm not going to BS you...but it wasn't a jarring ride like some coilovers I've experienced.

Everyone has different tolerances. What I may find compliant...you might not.

If you have shitty roads...you're probably better off with some DG springs and larger volume tires.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I drove through a really choppy highway at around 80mph. At least for me...it wasn't too bad considering they are coilovers. It was rough...I'm not going to BS you...but it wasn't a jarring ride like some coilovers I've experienced.

Everyone has different tolerances. What I may find compliant...you might not.

If you have shitty roads...you're probably better off with some DG springs and larger volume tires.

NY is riddled with shitty roads, which is what's been holding me back from lowering. Been mostly adding reinforcements, got 18x8.5 wheels fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 @ 235's.

Not familiar with DG springs, but I've been going back and forth with the idea of staying at stock height, or a mild drop. 🤷‍♂️