GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Pedal Freeplay

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Anyone have any opinions on adjusting clutch pedal freeplay after breaking in a new clutch?

I just broke in my SB stage 3 daily clutch kit and here's what I noticed:
-before break-in (fresh out of the shop), the clutch pedal had strong resistance and on takeoff in 1st, clutch grabbed when pedal was very close to the floor. Almost all engagement and disengagement of the clutch occurred when pedal was very close to the floor.
-after break-in (I did 850 miles of stop n go even though SB says 550 miles of stop n go is enough to break-in), the clutch pedal is back to stock resistance and on takeoff in 1st, clutch grabs when pedal is much higher from the floor

Does the change in where the clutch grabs with respect to pedal position have anything to do with freeplay, or are those independent things?

SB instructions say to adjust freeplay at 750 miles of break-in and again at 1500 miles of break-in. How exactly should I be adjusting it? Seems like I could do it myself but idk what they mean and which way to adjust it. Should I do it myself? Is it going to make the clutch grab when the pedal is close to the floor like when it was fresh out of the shop? Is this absolutely necessary too?

Curious about what others have done.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I don’t know the answer do the Mk7 platform, but I had to adjust hydraulic throw out bearings on my Muncie transmission via shims between the TOB and the transmission case. Even then there is a particular margin of space that must be maintained to prevent destroying the bearing.

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
After rereading their instructions, they actually say, "Adjust free travel on your new clutch at 750 mi and 1500 miles". Now I'm wondering if free travel is the same thing as freeplay.

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
I don’t know the answer do the Mk7 platform, but I had to adjust hydraulic throw out bearings on my Muncie transmission via shims between the TOB and the transmission case. Even then there is a particular margin of space that must be maintained to prevent destroying the bearing.
It’s that last sentence that makes me think twice before touching something like this lol, but I feel like what you adjusted is different than what I need to do…I’m not sure

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yeah the free play is the travel front the top to where the clutch starts to engage, I’m
Pretty sure our clutch pedal assembly won’t let us adjust that. (Probably their boiler plate instructions. As far as the engagement location near the floor that’s normal for it to be super low at first it’s a mixture of the mating surfaces being fresh and more so the clutch fingers being fresh and highly tensioned till it’s been through it’s range and bunch of times. Your current engagement point it’s where it’s going to stay till the disc wears down as it move up. You can add a clutch stop now if you want to not have to press the pedal farther than it needs to be if you want though .

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE