GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

mk7 camber/caster adjustment/settings for non track use??

should i buy suspension related stuff even if i dont need it/use it.

• yes, it never hurts to have a better performing car

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • no, you are going overboard and wasting money and time

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
So with all things we do, we can never leave well enough alone. I have looked through some posts to try to ascertain some suspension related questions.

For a weekend car, never to see the track, are negative camber and caster a real concern?, will adding camber plates& fixing the roll center really make any determinable difference?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-whiteline-parts/front-strut-mount-kit/kca476~wtl/

and a roll center kit https://whitelineperformance.com/products/kca472-roll-centre-bump-steer-correction-kit
^ purchased for lowering spring install.

with my area being built incredibly flat,straight,boring and all left and right 90* turns. (no mountains,curves,canyons) will i see any real benefit to adding some correction for negative camber and positive caster. i have no intention on doing auto cross or track days, there maybe some twisties i can find throughout a day trip some where, but its fairly boring here in the central valley of CA.

for a car that 99.85789 % of the time goes in a straight line, *highway* and may see some curves on a trip to the coast/beach, or mountains.. 3 times a year

is it fruitful to concern myself with camber/caster adjustment?

. or just make sure they are in spec with the alignment and dont worry about it.

2017 mk7 gti
AUTOBAHN
PP/LP
DSG

TLDR:

should i worry about shit I really wont benefit from? yes.... no.....

caster?

camber?

suspension/car plan/set up as follows

fixed Camber plates (-1.0 camber +0.05 caster)

Roll center kit- already purchased -(.05 camber)

VWR springs- already purchased.

Rear trailing arm bushings.

Rear upper control arms (camber adjustment)

25/26 mm RSB w/end links.

245/40/18 nitto nt05 front- installed

245/40/18 UHP AS rear- installed

I would like to create a capable machine that is able to be driven hard and is set up correctly/ to perform better, even if I do not drive it to its limits.

DONT FORGET TO VOTE ON THE POLL!!!1!!11OMGBBQSAUCE

Last edited:

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
Leave the camber alone for a street car. You'll lose straight line stability and it's not worth it unless it's a track car. Caster kits are definitely and nice improvement to the turn in feedback

thanks jay, i appreciate the feed back, the roll center kit was purchased just for the lowering springs, but all the extras were an added bonus i guess, how ever. I do not want to sacrifice any performance ability the car currently has for additional performance the car will never see/use.

a rear sway bar and links is still on the list, but it seems like it should be pretty sufficient for its tasks as it sits. ill make sure the alignment is done when the springs and roll center kit /sway bar go on, and call it good,

i could spend thousands on new parts and cool stuff, sub-frame & dead set kit/control arms/coil overs ect ect ,
but if i dont ever take advantage of those parts through the use of the car, i think i've wasted time and money in the process.

i put maybe 400 miles a month on the car. and i guess efforts can be better spent on other projects that will allow me to just enjoy the car for what it is.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Leave the strut tops factory- too much a harshness transmits though the camber plates. Seek negative camber and increased caster via lower control arms if you want to keep the ride smooth and feel more response.
Lowering also increases negative camber- you may seek a good spring/damper combo and find that increases performance feel and smoothness (yes, it’s possible!)

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
from your described use, you've done more than enough.