GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

20k Service - Service Tech didn't rotate tires because they were all wearing evenly. Does this make sense or is this pure laziness?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
For heat cycle purposes? You probably have a psi log also per ambient/track temperatures. Lol!
pedro-monkey-puppet.gif

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
It's an addon service, and a sometimes crazy expensive one depending on the dealer. Balance and rotate was 120 bucks at a local dealer.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
It's an addon service, and a sometimes crazy expensive one depending on the dealer. Balance and rotate was 120 bucks at a local dealer.
What does "balancing" tires even mean? I got 6 tire rotations included with my maintenance plan up to 30k, and it's $25 after that. I don't think I ever had them balanced though, whatever that means.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
What does "balancing" tires even mean? I got 6 tire rotations included with my maintenance plan up to 30k, and it's $25 after that. I don't think I ever had them balanced though, whatever that means.
Tires in and of themselves are not of equal weight around their perimeters. When manufactured they aren’t not precise. Wheels can have some variations, but much less than tires. In order to compensate for the these variances a machine determines the heaviest spots and has you add weight to the opposite side to even out the weight across the entire assembly. If not done correctly or at all, you get an imbalance that will present in the form of shaking while driving.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I don't believe the 20K VW care service lists tire rotation.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I put a metal punch stamp on the back surface that faces the hub, therefore I know where they go. I'd then refer to my notes to see which wheel came off which hub, and then rotate. 🤷‍♂️
this is nicer than my china marker method. I see borrowing a punch set from work next rotation. Where did you mark it on the hub or spoke?

Mud

helushune

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6MT
I took my car in at 46k after I just drove halfway across the country and asked for an oil change, tire rotation, and multipoint inspection so I could plan finances around the brakes. The notes for the tire rotation are "All tires are on 8/32 service declined", but they still charged me $25 for it; never got the inspection information sheet either. Needless to say, I won't be going back to that service department.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
this is nicer than my china marker method. I see borrowing a punch set from work next rotation. Where did you mark it on the hub or spoke?

Mud

My wheels are stored, or I’d grab a picture.

But anywhere on this surface is where I do it, depending on the wheel design. If you don’t have number punches, but have a center punch, you could just use dots, 1 - 4 of them. Works just as well. Works for me, some people might balk at it, but it helps me keep track better.

DA6279D0-195A-4B07-9F67-944A40CA9468.jpeg

Flippy

Ready to race!
But getting back on point - VW does not include rotations in their services. Two different dealers verified that.

Does it make sense? No, but that is the way it is.
You're right. I really thought it was included as it was thrown in on my 10k but after looking into it further it isn't actually included.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
My wheels are stored, or I’d grab a picture.

But anywhere on this surface is where I do it, depending on the wheel design. If you don’t have number punches, but have a center punch, you could just use dots, 1 - 4 of them. Works just as well. Works for me, some people might balk at it, but it helps me keep track better.

View attachment 236460
Thx. I see myself doing this cause why not (and some OCD)

Jim

Reactions: krs

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I used to use a sharpie. Would stay on long enough but would eventually burn off.. Used to read tire temps inner/outer/middle , etc and make adjustments. Now I just set and forget.