GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Confessions

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I hate the side mounted front license plates.

There, I said it.
i agree 100%. the one @vw671 makes is probably the cleanest one since the mount is nearly flush to the bumper but all the other ones look stupid when the plate sticks so far out. if i cared enough about getting hassled for no front plate i'd probably install the motorized plate holder.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
i agree 100%. the one @vw671 makes is probably the cleanest one since the mount is nearly flush to the bumper but all the other ones look stupid when the plate sticks so far out. if i cared enough about getting hassled for no front plate i'd probably install the motorized plate holder.
I never understood the aversion to drilling the bumper if you live in a front plate state. Are people taking the front plate back off for car shows? Are they planning to move to a state without front plates? What do the holes in the bumper matter if there's always a plate installed?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I never understood the aversion to drilling the bumper if you live in a front plate state. Are people taking the front plate back off for car shows? Are they planning to move to a state without front plates? What do the holes in the bumper matter if there's always a plate installed?
Knowing they’re there would bother me. Since I could drive I’ve only ever lived in Florida so I’ve never had to deal with it.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
it's likely a personal preference for aesthetic reasons.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I just hate front plates altogether.

And the aversion to drilling the bumper is if you ever move out of state/sell the car, it lowers the value. Not to mention it just doesn't look as clean. Personally I'm very glad that I lucked out and found a GTI in the color I wanted, in the spec I wanted, without front plate holes. Particularly in the design of the mk7 where there's no rub strip to replace, if there was a rub strip to mount the plate to it'd be a different story.

I also bent my rear plate slightly to keep it from rubbing on the paint in the rear, and installed a pair of thin rubber washers to avoid having the plate touch. The same thing on my wife's car avoided the awful noise of the plate hitting the trunk lid when closing the trunk, which drove both of us absolutely nuts.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I just hate front plates altogether.

And the aversion to drilling the bumper is if you ever move out of state/sell the car, it lowers the value. Not to mention it just doesn't look as clean. Personally I'm very glad that I lucked out and found a GTI in the color I wanted, in the spec I wanted, without front plate holes. Particularly in the design of the mk7 where there's no rub strip to replace, if there was a rub strip to mount the plate to it'd be a different story.

I also bent my rear plate slightly to keep it from rubbing on the paint in the rear, and installed a pair of thin rubber washers to avoid having the plate touch. The same thing on my wife's car avoided the awful noise of the plate hitting the trunk lid when closing the trunk, which drove both of us absolutely nuts.
Ohuhu Silicone License Plate... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T1J2CDC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
It's either that or drilling my bumper lmao or getting harassed by Illinois cops who have nothing better to do
So, I just had an idea and it might be stupid, but all my ideas are. Couldn't a person install one of those silicone plate holders, take the front bumper off and glue / double side tape a strong magnet to the backside of the bumper? I've never had a front plate, so I don't know, but sounds like maybe if the magnet was strong enough...? Or is this my "can I cut spokes out of my wheels to make them lighter," idea?

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I'm sure it's possible. But I'd hate to be the poor schmuck behind me when it comes off after hitting one of those Illinois highway potholes
So, I just had an idea and it might be stupid, but all my ideas are. Couldn't a person install one of those silicone plate holders, take the front bumper off and glue / double side tape a strong magnet to the backside of the bumper? I've never had a front plate, so I don't know, but sounds like maybe if the magnet was strong enough...? Or is this my "can I cut spokes out of my wheels to make them lighter," idea?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I hate the side mounted front license plates.

There, I said it.

Piggybacking on that.

Bumper plugs look horrible.

Faux euro plates look horrible.

Both just look cheap.

If you have holes in your bumper, just use the center mounted front plate. It looks better than the alternatives.

- If you live in a state that doesn't require front plates, and don't have holes drilled, just leave it bare. Obviously this is the best overall situation to be in.
- If you live in a state that doesn't require front plates, and you have holes already, either get them professionally filled and resprayed, or run a center mount plate.
- If you live in a state that does require front plates, and you don't have holes, find a way to center mount it as close as possible to the original location without drilling if possible. Don't do a side mounted plate.
- If you live in a state that does require front plates, and you have holes already, just run the damn plate where the holes are drilled.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
aren't plates aluminum? That would make it non-magnetic.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Piggybacking on that.

Bumper plugs look horrible.

Faux euro plates look horrible.

Both just look cheap.

If you have holes in your bumper, just use the center mounted front plate. It looks better than the alternatives.

- If you live in a state that doesn't require front plates, and don't have holes drilled, just leave it bare. Obviously this is the best overall situation to be in.
- If you live in a state that doesn't require front plates, and you have holes already, either get them professionally filled and resprayed, or run a center mount plate.
- If you live in a state that does require front plates, and you don't have holes, find a way to center mount it as close as possible to the original location without drilling if possible. Don't do a side mounted plate.
- If you live in a state that does require front plates, and you have holes already, just run the damn plate where the holes are drilled.
this. 100%