GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bittersweet, the car doesn't have crank walk

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Short Version: Thought the car was displaying signs of crank walk so parted out the performance parts. Turns out, she's ok.

Long Version:
I had a 500+whp GTI stock internals with an E85 tuned Vortex XL and DKM stage 3 clutch. All was well in the world for a long time, car was fast, loved the way it looked... life was great. Then one day I started noticing oily looking drops on my driveway. Figured i would investigate when it was a warm day because it was just a few drops and I wasn't overly concerned. After a few days the drops and puddle got bigger and was coming from the weep hole where a rear main seal leak would be. When I did my clutch i also replaced the rear main seal with an iAbed one because why not I'm doing all this work might as well check that box at the same time.

So since i changed the RMS a year ago i was kindof pissed that there could be an issue with it already but hey maybe user install error so i contacted the owner of iAbed. He stated it was rare for the RMS to fail after over a year and the only time he see's this happen is with crank walk, if it was going to fail or had a bad install you would have seen the leak earlier. I didn't have any signs of crankwalk that i could pinpoint so thought nothing of it and ordered just the seal and was going to drop the tranny and redo the seal.

Then a few days later while driving home, my clutch pedal stuck to the floor and i had to physically pull it up by hand to get it back in place. With what iAbed said fresh in my head and now this, i thought the worst. I have a 500hp stock engine with a dkm stage 3 clutch, of course it was crank walk... what else could it be.

I panicked, not wanting to completely torpedo the engine i stopped driving it. Figured i guess its time to part everything out and get what i can for it. Went through removing everything i could before i got to the transmission. Not wanting to see the worst and not wanting to do the clutch in my driveway again by myself because it was kindof a bitch the first time.

Finally got around to dropping the transmission and what did i see..... No oil or leak around the Rear Main Seal at all. How can this be? There is residue all around the bottom of the inside. Look over to the tranmission side and the ALL METAL THROW OUT BEARING was leaking. Never crossed my mind that that would be the culprit because its all metal and doesnt have the middle plastic point that could leak. My heart sank... this was fixable if indeed that was the only issue. I already parted out alot of parts so there was no going back.

Finally have the car mostly reassembled but still removing and replacing stock parts but she drives and runs great. One thing to note, i had the DIY TTRS in my car for a long time before the DKM and havign a stock clutch back in the car is crazy. It's so light i question whether it is installed correctly! But it works.

With that being said, while all this was going down i put in an order for a Tesla Model 3 LR AWD due to the current car market's ridiculous prices and lack of available inventory on cars i actually want to buy. I am joining the dark side. Test driving the car seems plenty fast and they have a performance boost option that gets you into 0-60 around 3.7seconds, some reporting faster so that should be plenty good for me. I didnt get the Performance because it was hard to justify the cost and the car was already expensive enough.

I will still be around here cleaning up spam posts but i think eventually the inevitable will happen where one day you just wont see me anymore unless you PM me or ill be on sparsely. I've had alot of fun interacting with you guys and learning a bunch. Hell i even met @PowerDemon the other weekend for some drinks when he came down from a few hours away to pick up my PM4. This has been one of the best car communities i have been around and hope you guys keep it going. thanks all

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
20211230_150259.jpg

20211230_160619.jpg

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yup those where my exact symptoms when my dkm “updated and better” tob took a shit in less that 6 months. I also was scared CW at first too, but mine started leaking really bad and I was able to get under the car while someone pushed the clutch and could hear and see the fluid coming out.

And yeah I drive my mk6 gli around the block once a month still and each time I comically slam the pedal to the ground to shift the first time out of habit😂

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Short Version: Thought the car was displaying signs of crank walk so parted out the performance parts. Turns out, she's ok.

Long Version:
I had a 500+whp GTI stock internals with an E85 tuned Vortex XL and DKM stage 3 clutch. All was well in the world for a long time, car was fast, loved the way it looked... life was great. Then one day I started noticing oily looking drops on my driveway. Figured i would investigate when it was a warm day because it was just a few drops and I wasn't overly concerned. After a few days the drops and puddle got bigger and was coming from the weep hole where a rear main seal leak would be. When I did my clutch i also replaced the rear main seal with an iAbed one because why not I'm doing all this work might as well check that box at the same time.

So since i changed the RMS a year ago i was kindof pissed that there could be an issue with it already but hey maybe user install error so i contacted the owner of iAbed. He stated it was rare for the RMS to fail after over a year and the only time he see's this happen is with crank walk, if it was going to fail or had a bad install you would have seen the leak earlier. I didn't have any signs of crankwalk that i could pinpoint so thought nothing of it and ordered just the seal and was going to drop the tranny and redo the seal.

Then a few days later while driving home, my clutch pedal stuck to the floor and i had to physically pull it up by hand to get it back in place. With what iAbed said fresh in my head and now this, i thought the worst. I have a 500hp stock engine with a dkm stage 3 clutch, of course it was crank walk... what else could it be.

I panicked, not wanting to completely torpedo the engine i stopped driving it. Figured i guess its time to part everything out and get what i can for it. Went through removing everything i could before i got to the transmission. Not wanting to see the worst and not wanting to do the clutch in my driveway again by myself because it was kindof a bitch the first time.

Finally got around to dropping the transmission and what did i see..... No oil or leak around the Rear Main Seal at all. How can this be? There is residue all around the bottom of the inside. Look over to the tranmission side and the ALL METAL THROW OUT BEARING was leaking. Never crossed my mind that that would be the culprit because its all metal and doesnt have the middle plastic point that could leak. My heart sank... this was fixable if indeed that was the only issue. I already parted out alot of parts so there was no going back.

Finally have the car mostly reassembled but still removing and replacing stock parts but she drives and runs great. One thing to note, i had the DIY TTRS in my car for a long time before the DKM and havign a stock clutch back in the car is crazy. It's so light i question whether it is installed correctly! But it works.

With that being said, while all this was going down i put in an order for a Tesla Model 3 LR AWD due to the current car market's ridiculous prices and lack of available inventory on cars i actually want to buy. I am joining the dark side. Test driving the car seems plenty fast and they have a performance boost option that gets you into 0-60 around 3.7seconds, some reporting faster so that should be plenty good for me. I didnt get the Performance because it was hard to justify the cost and the car was already expensive enough.

I will still be around here cleaning up spam posts but i think eventually the inevitable will happen where one day you just wont see me anymore unless you PM me or ill be on sparsely. I've had alot of fun interacting with you guys and learning a bunch. Hell i even met @PowerDemon the other weekend for some drinks when he came down from a few hours away to pick up my PM4. This has been one of the best car communities i have been around and hope you guys keep it going. thanks all
Smh... I'm lost for words.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Sounds like you were just looking for an excuse to buy a Tesla 🤣

It does suck. But I completely understand panicking at a sign of an issue and rushing towards part out and replace.

I think this actually points to a legitimate concern for the site itself. While I haven't been here as long as many veterans (just coming on 3 years myself), I'm a big fan of the community as well. Nobody can blame you for moving on, you start hanging out in Tesla communities, and like you said, you're just here less and less. Things change. Nothing wrong with that. But it seems like the admins have mostly moved on and abandoned the site (at least that's what it looks like from the outside), and you and Jay are the only active mods. When you inevitably stop visiting like you said, and if Jay gets bored too, I'd hate to see this place turn in to the wild west with nothing but spam posts :(

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Smh... I'm lost for words.

Matt.....my reaction too. Really sorry to hear....to have gone through all that to find out is was nothing catastrophic.....had to have been a massive let down, throat punch moment. Glad you're sticking around for awhile though....

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
M3 LR AWD is fast and fun (mostly because fast, not so much because driving experience). But that could be remedied with some suspension work if you're so inclined. I love my Golf and it's always exciting to get back in and drive but I can no longer say I really miss it when I'm in the Tesla. You will not like your new community though, especially compared to here! We got our Tesla in 2019, still have not joined a forum, and will not.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
M3 LR AWD is fast and fun (mostly because fast, not so much because driving experience). But that could be remedied with some suspension work if you're so inclined. I love my Golf and it's always exciting to get back in and drive but I can no longer say I really miss it when I'm in the Tesla. You will not like your new community though, especially compared to here! We got our Tesla in 2019, still have not joined a forum, and will not.
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

But yes @Cuzoe ive been on the Tesla forums for a few weeks and to put things politely... Most are not car people at all. Most seem young and just like technology. Simple troubleshooting and DIY scares most of them, and you can tell general car knowledge escapes most of them.

That has been a huge let down but kind of expected.

My performance mods will be limited due to it being electric, but maybe that's a good thing to help me save money. I do plan on eventually getting an old muscle car or truck to work on one day to satisfy the itch.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
This. Model 3 is fast but boring otherwise. No point in joining a tesla forum, they're all super quiet.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Congrats on the new car, but sad to see you go.

I think I'm soon to be a victim of the dkm clutch and tob. My engagement point keeps getting lower and the car is annoyingly difficult to shift; I'm fairly sure the TOB is failing and I've been unhappy with the clutch since it went in anyway, so I am torn between spending another $2k on a clutch (probably RSR) or just putting it all back to stock and selling while used value are high.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
This. Model 3 is fast but boring otherwise. No point in joining a tesla forum, they're all super quiet.
I don't know if I would call it boring. It's heavy but the weight is low. Despite the body roll you can hoon around because the stability control really keeps everything under control. You can take too much speed into a sweeper and get on it with little drama, which is kind of fun actually. The steering in Sport is really responsive (though too twitchy on the highway), Standard feels like my Golf (in sport), and Comfort is just that (where I drive most of the time).

On the other hand, that ability to mostly do whatever you ask, even when you're asking for something stupid, could be a real problem if you took it for a canyon blast. I'm not sure there's much space between "the car can fix your driving" and "the car cannot fix your driving so you'll be exiting the road now." Tires, suspension and brakes as with any car you intend to really push. The Performance has track mode but for the non-Performance you can buy the Mountain Pass Performance Party Box or the Ingenext Bonus Module which lets you disable some of the nannies.