GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW nav. Does it still suck?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Wouldn't say it sucks necessarily, but it works. My issue with Mk7, & now Mk8, VW Sat Nav is: once a destination is entered, it will not be deleted / removed, it will keep on re-calculating your route thinking you are lost until you actually go there, it simply will not shut the heck up. Following potenial Armageddon, only bugs will crawl the Earth but VW Sat Navs will still be stating "turn left at 100 yards then turn right to arrive at your destination", which just happens to have been levelled and totally pulverised....
Sadly this is true of a lot of other nav systems I've used. It refuses to see you're taking another route and is determined to put you back on the route you originally "chose". It's a bit infuriating. Sometimes, since you probably know what you are doing, it's best to simply stop turn-by-turn directions or pause until you get to a spot it most certainly won't try to put you back on the old route and figure out where you are and how to get you to the destination from there. It's annoying to have to do that but it does eventually work out for me.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
V11 SD card successfully worked in my MK7R without any issues.

Map version is reporting as 2021 (previous was 2020)

BIGTom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
this is semi-off topic maybe…

It’s true that everyone seems to use Google Maps and Waze. Our home and street address are wrong on both and we’ve had missed appointments and deliveries as well as deliveries for other people at our home because of it. Apple Maps, Map Quest and VW Nav are all correct.

I’ve tried and tried to get Google to change it but they just close the requests with a reason “cannot validate”. Quite frustrating honestly and this experience always makes me question their accuracy when I use them for navigation.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
this is semi-off topic maybe…

It’s true that everyone seems to use Google Maps and Waze. Our home and street address are wrong on both and we’ve had missed appointments and deliveries as well as deliveries for other people at our home because of it. Apple Maps, Map Quest and VW Nav are all correct.

I’ve tried and tried to get Google to change it but they just close the requests with a reason “cannot validate”. Quite frustrating honestly and this experience always makes me question their accuracy when I use them for navigation.

Is it correct on other map services like Tom Tom? Maybe start by trying to edit one of the other map providers out there. If they change it then maybe google maps algorithm will accept your requested changes.

Jeffapotamus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI
GPS is not cell tower system dependent. It receives signals from satellites which is an entirely different set of frequencies. Should still work.
Yeah, I knew that GPS signals themselves were satellite based. I wasn't sure if they somehow integrated the satellite data with other data from cellular networks. I know my apple maps/google maps sometimes got squirrelly in the mountains of NY and VT where there was no cell signal.