GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon buildup cleaning price

BellaIzzy09

Ssoooo i just took my car in for a carbon buildup clean. It had gotten pretty bad i had really rough cold starts the engine clearly was pretty bad and had never been cleaned and it is at 93,000 miles now. I got charged $1800 for a carbon clean, fuel injector clean and camshaft sensor replacement. Does this sound about right cause i am a woman with a high maintenance car and i feel like I've been scammed a bit quite a few times by now

BellaIzzy09

Ssoooo i just took my car in for a carbon buildup clean. It had gotten pretty bad i had really rough cold starts the engine clearly was pretty bad and had never been cleaned and it is at 93,000 miles now. I got charged $1800 for a carbon clean, fuel injector clean and camshaft sensor replacement. Does this sound about right cause i am a woman with a high maintenance car and i feel like I've been scammed a bit quite a few times by now
Forgot to mention i have a 2011 gti

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Seems ridiculously expensive. Even overpriced dealers charge around 900-1000$ for a carbon clean. I’m pretty sure the sensor is accessible when you have the manifold off to do the cleaning anyway. Maybe I’m mistaken, but seems way overpriced. Post your location and I’m sure someone here can give you a good local recommendation.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
You should expect to pay between 850-1000 usd for a proper carbon removal job

Last edited:

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I know shops that do it for 400$CAD as good as doing it for 1000$USD... I got CC done on my 11'GTI for 500$CAD in 2017, but I found another VW/Audi specialized shop that will do it for 400$CAD, planning to get it cleaned again at 200,000KM, and new fuel injectors.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
So I decided to do the carbon cleaning on my GTI at 168,000KM (104,390MILES).
As well as replace all fuel injectors with brand new OEM ones...

Due to random misfires, and weird cold starts (extended crank, and sometimes real quick starts).

Another 1000$ something dollars going in to my GTI! WOO HOO!!!!
(a little less from a thousand dollars).

I will report back once it's done, and how it drives.

ONLY REASON I am doing all this to my GTI is because I plan to keep my MK6 GTI for another 40 years, if not, longer.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion

Due to random misfires, and weird cold starts (extended crank, and sometimes real quick starts).

ONLY REASON I am doing all this to my GTI is because I plan to keep my MK6 GTI for another 40 years, if not, longer.

Sounds like carboned up intake valves to me. Not a bad idea to replace injectors. Does your car have the latest updated timing chain tensioner? If it doesn't better get one in there at your cars mileage.

tulip

Ready to race!

This is exactly what was happening to me! Also crazy misfires under moderate to heavy load... Took it to my local audi/VW shop and got it cleaned for 480CAD

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like carboned up intake valves to me. Not a bad idea to replace injectors. Does your car have the latest updated timing chain tensioner? If it doesn't better get one in there at your cars mileage.

Updated tensioner was put in 2017, updated chains afterwards (long story to why it wasn't done all at once).

Yup, sounds dirty and carbon build up happens realll quick on our cars... so always good to get it cleaned up.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I paid $1100 for carbon cleaning and having my injectors over nighted to be cleaned/rebuilt.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Another reason I'm doing carbon cleaning is because of RPM jumps on idle or in heavy traffic... the RPM's will jump and go back down... the PCV was replaced, I checked for vacuum leaks, nothing... I have a boost gauge which reads boost and vacuum pressure so I know 100% theres no vacuum leaks and I also did a visual check under the hood.

Actually the reason I'm replacing all 4 injectors is because of the RPM hang/jump during idle... I've heard some RPM hang is normal but there shouldn't be RPM jumps during idling....

My VW/AUDI specialized shop recommends replacing all four injectors along with carbon cleaning. I have replaced/fixed all other weak spots that make RPM's jump so it has to be injectors... causing RPM jumps... if its something else, I will fix that too.

I plan to keep my GTI for a very, very long time and I don't plan on buying another car, unless it's a Toyota...
Yes, I do daily my GTI, but I try my best to not drive it often and keep the KM's/Mile's down.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I paid $1100 for carbon cleaning and having my injectors over nighted to be cleaned/rebuilt.
Not bad... it's worth it... direct injection engines need this done for a smooth running direct injection engine... especially Audi/VW direct injection engines... I heard other German engines aren't so bad as ours...

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I got the carbon cleaning service done and 4 new fuel injectors replaced.

My GTI runs better now. Idling is a lot cleaner and sounds cleaner.

the valves were dirty… even though I did carbon cleaning 5 years ago…
KM wise it’ll be 50,000km ago… and carbon built up pretty badly.

not that bad but it’s bad. I’ve seen worse on other 2.0T’s to be honest.

Here are some before and after pictures:

I recommend doing this service if you plan on KEEPING your car for another 5 years.

or if you have misfires (cold start misfires)
Extended crank start during cold starts, or poor mileage.

I’ve had all these symptoms so I decided to do this service along with new fuel injectors.

I changed the spark plugs, ignition coils, PCV, rear main seal, checked starter/alternator so I did narrow it down to fuel injectors and carbon build up.

I got this service done yesterday evening.
I haven’t started the car yet, planning to do so in a few hours and I will record how the car turns over during cold start for an accurate reading and so I can playback the video file on my phone and listen to how the car starts after new injectors and after CC service.

Get all four fuel injectors replaced with carbon cleaning service for best results and for an efficient service. It’ll cost you a bit more but it’s peace of mind knowing you did both all at once.

from what I’ve seen and heard, fuel injectors go bad on most German cars. Especially Audi/VW’s.

like my shop said: these engines are designed to break down at some point and drain your wallet.

I appreciate the honesty from the shop.

my response is that I’ll make the money back and 10x more and be prepared for anything life throws at me.

money moves the world so gotta have a ton of it.

I’ll make sure the next German car I buy is a naturally aspirated engine.

direct injection engines have this problem and actually have more issues that can happen compared to N/A.

but it’s not as fun as turbo/direct injection engines.

Gotta pay to have fun!!!

Attachments

• 013EBD73-F37F-448B-B26D-151D40E73058.jpeg
    013EBD73-F37F-448B-B26D-151D40E73058.jpeg
    778.3 KB · Views: 262
  • 9FAC89AF-5203-4912-85A0-394CB885DF44.jpeg
    9FAC89AF-5203-4912-85A0-394CB885DF44.jpeg
    712.7 KB · Views: 609

boostedmk6

Go Kart Champion
I got the carbon cleaning service done and 4 new fuel injectors replaced.

My GTI runs better now. Idling is a lot cleaner and sounds cleaner.

the valves were dirty… even though I did carbon cleaning 5 years ago…
KM wise it’ll be 50,000km ago… and carbon built up pretty badly.

not that bad but it’s bad. I’ve seen worse on other 2.0T’s to be honest.

Here are some before and after pictures:

I recommend doing this service if you plan on KEEPING your car for another 5 years.

or if you have misfires (cold start misfires)
Extended crank start during cold starts, or poor mileage.

I’ve had all these symptoms so I decided to do this service along with new fuel injectors.

I changed the spark plugs, ignition coils, PCV, rear main seal, checked starter/alternator so I did narrow it down to fuel injectors and carbon build up.

I got this service done yesterday evening.
I haven’t started the car yet, planning to do so in a few hours and I will record how the car turns over during cold start for an accurate reading and so I can playback the video file on my phone and listen to how the car starts after new injectors and after CC service.

Get all four fuel injectors replaced with carbon cleaning service for best results and for an efficient service. It’ll cost you a bit more but it’s peace of mind knowing you did both all at once.

from what I’ve seen and heard, fuel injectors go bad on most German cars. Especially Audi/VW’s.

like my shop said: these engines are designed to break down at some point and drain your wallet.

I appreciate the honesty from the shop.

my response is that I’ll make the money back and 10x more and be prepared for anything life throws at me.

money moves the world so gotta have a ton of it.

I’ll make sure the next German car I buy is a naturally aspirated engine.

direct injection engines have this problem and actually have more issues that can happen compared to N/A.

but it’s not as fun as turbo/direct injection engines.

Gotta pay to have fun!!!

boostedmk6

Go Kart Champion
Can you guys let me know where you got the carbon cleaning done and what the cost was?