GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

torga's Daily Build - black, 6mt, two-door shenanigans

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Yup, Thumper did some testing and posted some charts. He didn't test the exact thing that APR is claiming (10% more energy over pulse width), but his results do prove that the APR coils performed better in what he tested. That's mostly what sold me on these. That, and they're basically the same price as legit R8 coils.

I heard from a buddy that there was some issues on the MK7 versions in the GTIs at high RPMs. Grain of salt, heresy and internet and all that. I can confirm no such issues present themselves on mine, they performed flawlessly at the track, seven 20 minute sessions (lightning canceled one of my sessions on Sunday :mad: ) and never a hiccup or issue, just strong pulls of power and instant throttle response.

torga

Autocross Champion
Despite recently installing the Helix Mk7.5 headlights, a good deal on a set of Osrams popped up in the forums and I felt like I'd be stupid not to act on it. The lenses are a little rough, so I'll be correcting that as well as installing some PPF to protect them from UV and debris. Hoping to get them cleaned up and ready for install after Thanksgiving! Then I'll be selling the Helix set to fund this upgrade.

PXL_20211120_010342590~2-01.jpeg

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Some of the sexiest headlights out there!

i have never had any luck polishing plastic. but if you are successful let me know what you did cause my lights need to be cleaned up some as well.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

i have never had any luck polishing plastic. but if you are successful let me know what you did cause my lights need to be cleaned up some as well.
i wonder how this plastic formulation would take to the blowtorch reconditioning method.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Hmm good idea! Torga?

torga

Autocross Champion
i wonder how this plastic formulation would take to the blowtorch reconditioning method.
Hmm good idea! Torga?

I suspect they'll make a good, bubbly, carcinogenic stew. I'll let you know how it tastes.

I've used this kit with great success, and I plan on using it again. If you feel like coughing up the dough, some detailing shops will do it for you too.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I suspect they'll make a good, bubbly, carcinogenic stew. I'll let you know how it tastes.

I've used this kit with great success, and I plan on using it again. If you feel like coughing up the dough, some detailing shops will do it for you too.
If you're reconditioning plastic that way and ending up with liquid plastic, you're doing it wrong

torga

Autocross Champion
If you're reconditioning plastic that way and ending up with liquid plastic, you're doing it wrong

I've never heard of this method, to be honest.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion

I used a 3M kit for the severely sun toasted lights on my wife's MINI. They turned out great, once done I went over the lights with McGuire's UV spray on coating. After two years they still look like new.

I used a 3"randon orbital for the sanding. Doing this by hand is not recommended by me.

torga

Autocross Champion
I've done it before by hand as well and I do not recommend it.

I'll be doing it by hand again, because I don't own an orbital and my cheap Harbor Freight drill finally broke. To its credit, it lasted almost 8 years.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I've done it before by hand as well and I do not recommend it.

I'll be doing it by hand again, because I don't own an orbital and my cheap Harbor Freight drill finally broke. To its credit, it lasted almost 8 years.

Buy yourself an early Christmas present. ;)

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I've never heard of this method, to be honest.
Heat gun til the plastic fades. Use on black trim. To make it black and not gray. Could work on headlights. Chemical use with mechanical action probably better approach but depends on the plastic flavor used

torga

Autocross Champion
Heat gun til the plastic fades. Use on black trim. To make it black and not gray. Could work on headlights. Chemical use with mechanical action probably better approach but depends on the plastic flavor used

I'd feel more comfortable using that method on opaque plastic. I wouldn't would the clarity of the lenses potentially affected by uneven heating. Will keep in mind for trim and such, though.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I actually prefer hand sanding for headlights. The straight sanding marks are easier to polish out than those made by orbital sanders.