GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project Red XIII: avenali312's OEM+ GTI

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Next small addition is some low-cost DSG paddle extensions. A bit of free play in them, but not enough to rattle. Nothing a small piece of electrical tape to shim them up won't fix. I really need to clean my interior haha.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This might be the longest it has taken me to put a Euro switch in a GTI. After learning that there was a proper one for non-Auto light trims, I swapped it out to avoid getting the error code that popped up every time I passed Auto.

So I can finally do this...

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Well, this is probably going to be the most non-OEM+ post in this thread so far. Last week I finally made the jump and had the muffler deleted. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Definitely louder, but not extreme by any means. Totally livable on a daily, in my opinion. The rest of the exhaust is stock (stock DP and resonator) so I'm sure that helps.

Tips installed are Jones JST139K that I got from Bear River Converters on eBay (about $45 for the pair).
JST139K PAIR 2.5" Black Round Exhaust Tips 2 1/2" Inlet / 4" Outlet / 5" Long | eBay

In the video, I set up my phone with a sound meter app. It's hard to read the numbers in the video, but I looked at the data afterwards. It's a pretty consistent 7 dB (average) increase across the board; cold start, idle, and revving to 2,500 RPM.

Cold Start around 1,100 RPM = 76 increased to 83 dB
Idle around 700-800 RPM = 71 increased to 78 dB
Quick revs to 2,500 RPM = 82 increased to 89 dB

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Finally got a chance to record some DSG shifts with the muffler delete today. Really happy with the sound. Recorded with a GoPro Hero 7 Black stuck to the back window (and tethered to the rear wiper arm haha).

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
First time trying a foam cannon. It was fun, but I need to work on my ratio of Meguiars Gold Class shampoo to water. It was a bit runny, but worked for what I needed (clean off some cicadas after a road trip).

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Car has been rock solid lately and I don't have any mods that I desire to do in the short term, so my most recent update is an oil change and brake fluid flush. Here's the sample from Blackstone and their notes.

Changing the oil based on calendar time is never a bad idea, but if you end up wanting more mileage out of a fill we'd be all for it. Oil won't break down just from sitting in the sump and only accumulates metal with use. Speaking of metal, the levels in this sample look very good for an 8,115-mile run, so internal parts had no issue keeping up. The viscosity read a little low, but in the absence of fuel dilution that's not a concern. These engines can harmlessly shear the oil down. Your Volkswagen is in good shape.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just writing this post for future me. I've been doing a lot of research lately and need to document it somewhere, or else I'll just end up needing to do it again when I forget haha.

The plan is to move from OEM+ back to a more OEM-ish setup, mostly in favor of comfort and some more ground clearance. I plan on getting back on a dirt bike in the next year or so pretty regularly, so I'll be towing a small trailer and driving on some uneven dirt driveways. Also, the roads in Atlanta aren't getting better anytime soon, so it will be worth it day to day as well.

I plan on addressing this in a couple of phases.

Phase 1: My factory shocks and struts are shot after about 42k on EMD springs. Since I need to pull the suspension anyway, I'm going to replace them with the stock springs and some Koni Special Active shocks and struts. Based on research, this seems like the best route that isn't something like the more expensive KW Comfort coilovers. Still undecided if I'm going to leave in the reverse rake pads or not.

Phase 2: Once my current DWS06 are worn down and need replaced, I think I'm going to downsize by removing the Laguna wheels and try out something 17" and flow formed (@APEXWheels is looking like a good option right now). Possibly go with a wider wheel and lower offset to also ditch the 10mm front and 15mm rear spacers. The mentality is just moving away from extra parts involved and simplify things. Based on a quick Will It Fit calculation, things look okay overall. The poke is substantial, but adding in the spacers from before, I think it's only an extra 10mm up front and 5mm in the back. Given the extra ride height of the stock springs, I don't think it will be an issue.

I'm open to any opinions or corrections on my frame of mind haha.

1634847103022.png

1634847125548.png
1634847143769.png

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Wow, I've really been neglecting this. Not that much has changed, but I have had the Koni Special Active dampers and stock springs installed for a little while now. Really, really enjoy the comfort that they offer. Night and day compared to my EMD springs and clapped out stock dampers haha. Definitely looking more like a rally car these days though (especially the front end riding noticeably higher than the rear, or at least that's the visual I'm seeing). I may reinstall my reverse rake pads I had with the EMD springs to make it a bit more visually level.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Smallest of things, but wanted to record it here just so I have it later (it looks like I never added a post when I replaced my battery with a Group 48 AGM in 2019 haha).

I had originally done the coding based on what was available at the time for AGM batteries. After reading some more current threads, it looks like Binary AGM was the incorrect setting, so I went in and changed it to Fleece. I had done all of the original coding changes in @StealthGTI YouTube video the day of install. I doubt it makes a huge difference, but it only took a minute to do.

Change Battery Technology
- 19 Gateway
- Adaptation
- Battery Adaptation
- Technology
- Fleece

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Regular maintenance at 60k. Replaced the stock spark plugs with NGK 94833. They are doing what they are supposed to so far. The coil puller tool is really useful and convenient. The old plugs appeared to be burning well with a small amount of oil on cylinders 3 and 4, but I feel like I've seen others with similar.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Replaced my accessory belt. Ever since I had one break on my MKV and leave me with no A/C or alternator, I usually replace them every 60k miles and keep the old one in the hatch as a spare.

After a pretty long lead time, my RokBlokz finally came in. Really happy with their quality, rigidness, and subtle look. These are the short version for the MK7. The stubby ratchet they offer made install on the front super easy (and is pretty versatile, so I see myself using it quite a bit), but the rear was definitely a bit more difficult (because of the third screw). Removing the wheels made it much easier.