GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tuned 1.8 Tsi long term reliability

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
Are you using their stock DP file for smog, or running their aftermarket DP file and just plan on swapping DPs when the time comes and reflashing? Haven't used AU, normally use Four Seasons for my APR stuff. I'll have to check them out as they're a bit closer.
I havent had to smog yet, but my plan is to have the DP swapped and flash to stock when that time comes. My hope is that since the IS20 is still a factory turbo that I should be safe for smog. If not, then I'll have to find a guy who has a guy.

The only supporting mod I don't have installed now is actually an IC, as bad as that sounds, and still no issues. I plan on getting that next but as for the original post, these cars can handle a lot.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I wanted to keep things relatively simple so I used AU Tuning in HB for the install and had them tune me with APR IS20 w/DP. It's a lot cheaper than Reflect but you definitely leave some power on the table since reflect can help you dial in your car. If you want to save some money and don't care about squeezing every bit of power out then I'd say canned tunes are more than enough for most people.

Off topic; I'm in Huntington Beach and see youre pretty close, you should come along on some of the cruises we have. We hit up Ortega and ACH pretty regularly.
What do you consider a lot cheaper than Reflect? He's not that expensive compared to others

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Here's my automatic sportwagen Limited Edition. Basically an SE minus the Fender Audio. So with me in it, it's over 3,500 lbs. This is with Reflect Tuning is20, 2.0 hpfp, ethanol sensor and flex fuel tune on 37% ethanol. I stacked a jb4 on it to add a bit of boost up to 4,500. He has since revised the file and added some more advance in to the ethanol mixes. It pretty much offsets the added boost of the stack. I just haven't tested it yet on another dragy run. The one weak part of the auto is the slow shift speed. If it shifted as fast as a dsg, my time to 100 would be more like 5.4-5.5 based on the 60-90 time. That shift at 93 loses a four tenths easily to the dsg though
received_1123270551438523.jpeg

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Here's my automatic sportwagen Limited Edition. Basically an SE minus the Fender Audio. So with me in it, it's over 3,500 lbs. This is with Reflect Tuning is20, 2.0 hpfp, ethanol sensor and flex fuel tune on 37% ethanol. I stacked a jb4 on it to add a bit of boost up to 4,500. He has since revised the file and added some more advance in to the ethanol mixes. It pretty much offsets the added boost of the stack. I just haven't tested it yet on another dragy run. The one weak part of the auto is the slow shift speed. If it shifted as fast as a dsg, my time to 100 would be more like 5.4-5.5 based on the 60-90 time. That shift at 93 loses a four tenths easily to the dsg though
View attachment 204380
Are you running the RS7 plugs on your setup? I'm tempted to look into flex as there is a station with verified e-85 up the freeway from me a bit.

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
What do you consider a lot cheaper than Reflect? He's not that expensive compared to others
Not necessarily "a lot" for everyone, but since I was an existing APR customer I had a discount on the tune. He wanted $950 for the tune and flasher, whereas I only paid about $300 to upgrade with APR.

So for my situation that was what made most sense to me.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Are you running the RS7 plugs on your setup? I'm tempted to look into flex as there is a station with verified e-85 up the freeway from me a bit.

I actually have the older RS7 plugs in at the moment, but I'm going to replace them when I did my stripped out coil studs. I have the Beru side firing ones. I used them a few years back when I was is12, but got spark blowout under high boost and e30. I had a set of Denso IKH24 that the insulators cracked, so I put these in temporarily because they were still in good shape. I'll probably look into some NGK Ruthenium plugs or their RS7 next

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
That shift at 93 loses a four tenths easily to the dsg though
Yeah I've definitely noticed that there's this "sweet spot" in shifting around ~6300RPM where 09G just seems to shift better than winding it out to the ~6700RPM redline that it'll auto-shift at. A bit of a shame really, as I definitely get a bit more oomph up there thanks to Is38 over my old Is20 setup.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Any cons going is20 on 1.8t w/DSG for reliability ?

Of course not. That’s what I’m doing. I’m AWD so I prefer stronger low end power, as I don’t really need any power past 5500 rpm. So I chose IS20 over IS38, and I’m doing the APR Intercooler and open intake, likely upgrading my DP to stock Golf R DP. Planning on the APR “Stage 3 IS20 91 Octane” tune which is a stock downpipe file. I run exclusively top tier 93 so running a 91 octane, OTS stock downpipe tune with an intercooler and 93 is as safe as you could ever ask for while gaining ~70% power over stock on an OEM turbo.

I take my car camping, and will use it for roadtrips over the 10+ years I plan to own it. I’m also choosing 91 octane tune because, even though I have 93 where I live, that is not the case in many parts of America. I like the idea that, worst case scenario, my tune will be matched to the fuel i’m running. When I’m using 93 at home, I’ll never see a lick of timing pull either. It’ll be a strong, healthy tune that doesn’t push the turbo or motor to its limits. OEM+ as f**k

Last edited:

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Any cons going is20 on 1.8t w/DSG for reliability ?
The only true chronic mechanical reliability issue with tuning TSI's is with the factory 5-speed manual transmission. It simply can't handle the power of anything north of the factory turbo. As for the 6-speed manual, DSG, or Tiptronic you'll run out of fueling long before you run out of motor or transmission. Provided of course you get a good tune.

Shiny_Rx

Car(s)
Alltrack
The only true chronic mechanical reliability issue with tuning TSI's is with the factory 5-speed manual transmission. It simply can't handle the power of anything north of the factory turbo. As for the 6-speed manual, DSG, or Tiptronic you'll run out of fueling long before you run out of motor or transmission. Provided of course you get a good tune.
I thought the stock clutch on the 6 speed manual is a weak spot for even just stage 1 ECU tuning?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
clutch =/= transmission. The 6 speed with a beefy clutch can handle plenty of power.

danbfree

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8 TSI
So interesting update, some of you may have already seen the newer thread of a 1.8 w/IS38 and ONLY a JB4 for tuning making 350/390 with 09G TC Auto, I shit you not! It is an ethanol blend but simply a custom map 6 JB4 tune, nothing else! He said it will only be a track day tune, he will use something milder for the street...

Apparently, if you don't use flash tunes and *only* use a JB4, since it is a piggyback that fools the ECU reading low boost being made, it never triggers the actual TCU torque limit! Also, apparently MK6 and earlier gens of the 09G TCU has been cracked, it's only on MK7 that Reflect can tune around it, but to me this is pretty mind blowing for potential! Personally, I don't want the lag of an IS38 being pushed by the 1.8 all with no LSD, so I'm gonna go is20/JB4 and call it good, but to each their own, with the is38 at those power levels it would be quite the roll race monster!

As far as exact OP question, the 1.8 is a de-stroked 2.0 with a less complex VVT setup, which likely makes it even more stout than the 2.0 and why can make almost as much power as the 2.0 quite reliably once you push it.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
So interesting update, some of you may have already seen the newer thread of a 1.8 w/IS38 and ONLY a JB4 for tuning making 350/390 with 09G TC Auto, I shit you not! It is an ethanol blend but simply a custom map 6 JB4 tune, nothing else! He said it will only be a track day tune, he will use something milder for the street...

Apparently, if you don't use flash tunes and *only* use a JB4, since it is a piggyback that fools the ECU reading low boost being made, it never triggers the actual TCU torque limit! Also, apparently MK6 and earlier gens of the 09G TCU has been cracked, it's only on MK7 that Reflect can tune around it, but to me this is pretty mind blowing for potential! Personally, I don't want the lag of an IS38 being pushed by the 1.8 all with no LSD, so I'm gonna go is20/JB4 and call it good, but to each their own, with the is38 at those power levels it would be quite the roll race monster!

As far as exact OP question, the 1.8 is a de-stroked 2.0 with a less complex VVT setup, which likely makes it even more stout than the 2.0 and why can make almost as much power as the 2.0 quite reliably once you push it.
As impressive as that guy's dyno is, I won't be following in his footsteps.

Maybe I've got a dog 1.8 but use for AX creates lots of heat for me and I now and then see trim spikes above 50, simply running JB4 map 2 and modulating throttle at high rpms in 2nd.

Maybe it won't be an issue for him. I hope not.