GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I Trade?

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
BMW S54. Nothing quite as fun as manually shimming valves.

The Renesis was a turd, my dad got lucky and his FD was rock solid for 120k miles.
S54 is the dream but a clean manual, unghettofied, coupe is fucking unobtanium for less than $50-60k

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
If you are talking about an RX-8 that does not count lol.
I honestly don't think you have much to worry about. Maybe a compression test as part of that PPI...
Those motors are pretty stout from my understanding...even at high mileage.
I mean, it's a Honda lol
Compression test is a must. Gotta factor in valve adjustment as well.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
S54 is the dream but a clean manual, unghettofied, coupe is fucking unobtanium for less than $50-60k
Z4 MC’s are a lot less. Dumb looking and hard to see out of, but handling that doesn’t want to kill you, better cooling and fewer rear sub frame issues compared to the wildly cooler Z3 MC, speaking from 14 years of ownership experience. Can’t hold a keg either, stupid thing.

I am curious if BMW supported the Z4 better. Basic MC specific parts for the Z3 became unobtanium even from Germany and you were left scavenging parts yards.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Z4 MC’s are a lot less. Dumb looking and hard to see out of, but handling that doesn’t want to kill you, better cooling and fewer rear sub frame issues compared to the wildly cooler Z3 MC, speaking from 14 years of ownership experience. Can’t hold a keg either, stupid thing.

I am curious if BMW supported the Z4 better. Basic MC specific parts for the Z3 became unobtanium even from Germany and you were left scavenging parts yards.
I understand the appeal of the clown shoe but I don't think I could ever own one even if I could afford/find one. I prefer the z4m over the z3m and I was actually entertaining the idea of buying a clean z4m because clean e46's were impossible to find for a reasonable price. I'd love to buy an s54 equipped M from EAG but their asking prices are a bit wild.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I understand the appeal of the clown shoe but I don't think I could ever own one even if I could afford/find one. I prefer the z4m over the z3m and I was actually entertaining the idea of buying a clean z4m because clean e46's were impossible to find for a reasonable price. I'd love to buy an s54 equipped M from EAG but their asking prices are a bit wild.
Those guys are crazy. They basically cornered the 1M market and have certainly driven up the Z3 MC market too.

Just be aware that the Z4 feels claustrophobia compared to the Z3 MC. I couldn’t get used to it. Plus the hatch is much smaller. My Z3 was perfect for long trips, aside from the seats being uncomfortable after a few hours.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Those guys are crazy. They basically cornered the 1M market and have certainly driven up the Z3 MC market too.

Just be aware that the Z4 feels claustrophobia compared to the Z3 MC. I couldn’t get used to it. Plus the hatch is much smaller. My Z3 was perfect for long trips, aside from the seats being uncomfortable after a few hours.
Well considering that I may potentially buy an S2000, I'm sure the Z3M won't be very different.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Well considering that I may potentially buy an S2000, I'm sure the Z3M won't be very different.
I drove a Miata before the MC, and yeah, at 6'2", both are tight. But the Z4 MC has higher door sills, the roof drops down right behind your ears and the C pillars chop off your view out of the back too. Plus it looks like a shitty, old Datsun. Stupid car...

The S2k has lower door sills, super thin A pillars, decent sight lines out of the glass window (avoid the early plastic windows) and with the roof down is perfect. It's a fabulous car. Except in the pax seat, where it just sucks. The under floor brace makes it weird to put your feet anywhere but straight out, all of the gauges, radio and climate are just about invisible, so you just have a view of a sea of plastic. But the trick is to just not sit over there. They're awesome to drive, who cares if your passenger likes it?

And I drove my Miata and MC for nearly two decades. Anyone who thinks you need a bigger car just isn't trying hard enough. I'd trade my GTI for a Polo GTI in a second if it were available. If the F56 MIni had a motor that wasn't a total turd, I'd have one of those in a second too. Small is light, and light is fun. Just have your groceries delivered and FedEx your luggage to your next city like a motorcyclist if you're going to do long road trips. Or just pack directly into the trunk, no suitcases allowed. My ex never liked that approach, but it absolutely works.

Gah, I really need a Caterham.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
S2K isn't in the best condition :(

Engine runs strong and transmission feels great despite some slop in the shifter. The exterior could use some serious TLC but I didn't see any clear coat failure so that's a plus. Headlight lens is clean, but the passenger taillight has some dust and sand inside. Not sure how that happened but I'm not overly concerned. Also turns out he got the convertible top replaced by an upholstery shop, not by the dealer. Interior could use a new steering wheel but seats are in great condition without any rips or tears. It's also never been in an accident and has all 10 matching vin stickers.

I glanced under the hood and everything looked really clean l. No leaks, hoses looked and felt good, but I'm not the best mechanic so I'd have to take it for an inspection to see what needs to be updated/fixed.

Wife's uncle said he's going to sit on it for a few weeks and really contemplate if he wants to sell or not. Apparently he had plans to install a blower and he hasn't fully give up that idea yet so we'll see what happens I guess.