GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Golf 110km with engine issues :(

VolksGTI1

Hey everyone,

Wanted to get some opinion on an issue. Unlike the username suggest I have a 2015 golf 1.8T with about 110k kms on it. GTI was an MK6. Yes I do miss it lol

Anyway,

Regular maintenance on this car after purchase back in 2016 with about 27k kms on it.

A month ago I started the car and got about 10meters until I felt bogging, loss of power, check engine light blinking along with EPC light. Freaked out, drove back to my buddy's who also had a golf just mk6 and he said it would happen to him too sometimes, you just gotta wait 2 minutes and start the car again but make sure to turn the key without hesitation. To my surprise, this worked as if the issue never happened. Weird, but ok.

A week later, it happened again and the same solution worked. Then it happened a few more times but not often enough to really panic until it got to the point where the car stalled completely and would turn on with already a really rough running engine and I had to drive home a few blocks and really look into it.

I got the issue scanned and got codes

P0303

P0304

P0300

b2aa

So misfires in cylinders 3 and 4, multiple misfire and scanner incompatibility cuz it wasn't a professional one.
Youtubing solutions I understood it could be coils and or spark plugs so I tried to swap the coils but they were so stuck in the engine that I couldn't remove them without braking. I then read that its much easier if the engine is a bit warm to remove them so i tried to start the car but it ran even more rough like it was about to explode so I turned it off and then time I couldn't start it at all. It's almost like the starter went.
I still had power so it wasn't battery.
Took it to my mechanic, he couldn't turn the engine past 180 degrees, even after replacing the starter, recommended I take it to VW dealership cuz he doesn't deal exclusively with VW and they might have a better idea for time spent.
VW dealership told me its something internal damage but it's not worth taking it apart vs buying a used engine and swapping the parts as necessary.

I'm baffled at this issue on such a low mileage and how fast this escalated.

Wondering if anyone encountered this or have an opinion on what's gone wrong and how I got here :(

Thanks and sorry for the essay!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Timing chain failure? This does seem unusual. Maybe the past owner was really bad about oil changes?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
oooooh, sorry, I misunderstood/misread, I thought you picked it up recently. That sucks, it's very rare for these engines to give out like that if they've been well maintained.

VolksGTI1

If anyone was curious, here's the update.

Engine swap done with some swap of parts from mine.
Not sure how this happened but this was what it looked like after they removed the top cylinder cover.
20210922_093857.jpg

Valve ended up jammed in the cylinder.

Good news is that post all the work, the car is running quite nice and smooth.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Wow that's intense. I wonder what happened that caused the entire valve to fall into the engine.