GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running a JB4 AND a IE Stage 2 tune?

Mk7guitar

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I've been thinking about how to make more power before I have to go bigger turbo and build the engine, but I'm not sure how to. I'm already IE Stage 2 tuned with a catless dp, full exhaust system, front mount intercooler, intake, and a few other things. I've been told you can piggyback the IE Stage 2 tune with a JB4 and make ridiculous power. Does anyone have experience in this?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
If you know what you're doing, it's totally fine and safe, but if you're reckless about it it's possible to hurt something.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
How would it be perfectly fine? Sorry, not trying to sound like a mushroom head. Just not sure what you mean by that?

JB4 works off parameters of the stock programming - Fuel, spark, boost, etc.

Wouldn't you need to modify the JB4 to work with the programming of the reflash? Wouldn't that just be essentially retuning the car anyway? Just seems like it completely defeats the purpose?

Last edited:

Mk7guitar

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
How would it be perfectly fine? Sorry, not trying to sound like a mushroom head. Just not sure what you mean by that?

JB4 works off parameters of the stock programming - Fuel, spark, boost, etc.

Wouldn't you need to modify the JB4 to work with the programming of the reflash? Wouldn't that just be essentially retuning the car anyway? Just seems like it completely defeats the purpose?
JB4 runs off of AFR and multiple other things, but not stock programming. You can combine it with a flash tune and do fine tuning through it, but I've only heard stories of how far you can push it and all you can do. I was just curious to see if anyone has experience with it and if so, how to manage it.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
JB4 runs off of AFR and multiple other things, but not stock programming. You can combine it with a flash tune and do fine tuning through it, but I've only heard stories of how far you can push it and all you can do. I was just curious to see if anyone has experience with it and if so, how to manage it.

Not sure I'm following. ARF is only one parameter I'm sure JB4 looks at. Fuel, air, spark are the big three. Timing is dictated by spark, then peak boost to hit targets.

You say JB4 runs off of AFR but not stock programming? I'm pretty sure JB4 fully understands the stock mapping and makes it's modifications from that. Wouldn't make sense for a piggyback to work any other way. What am I missing here?

You're essentially asking if you should use JB4, a "tune" to modify and existing "tune."

It makes no sense.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
The JB4 is blind to whatever tune you're using, it only sees data gathered from the sensors it intercepts and what it reads from the OBD2 cable. It'll work the same on a tuned car as on a stock car, but you couldn't run any of the pre-programmed maps, as they would try to run way too much boost on an already tuned car. You would need a custom map 6. If your tune is already appropriate for the fuel/hardware you're using, then there won't really be any benefit to running a JB4 on top, but it can be useful for stuff like adding boost when you put a few gallons of e85 in the tank, or running race fuel temporarily, or if you're running water/meth injection, etc... I used it to compensate for when I did my IS20 swap back before there were any IS20 tunes, and ran a 13.3 @ 110mph with it, compared to 14.6 @ 96 with the IS12 on the same flash (APR Stage 1 91). In the OP's case, I'm not sure a JB4 will be worth it unless they have an e85 station nearby or plan on adding other hardware that they can't easily tune for.

Last edited:

Mk7guitar

Car(s)
2016 Golf R
The JB4 is blind to whatever tune you're using, it only sees data gathered from the sensors it intercepts and what it reads from the OBD2 cable. It'll work the same on a tuned car as on a stock car, but you couldn't run any of the pre-programmed maps, as they would try to run way too much boost on an already tuned car. You would need a custom map 6. If your tune is already appropriate for the fuel/hardware you're using, then there won't really be any benefit to running a JB4 on top, but it can be useful for stuff like adding boost when you put a few gallons of e85 in the tank, or running race fuel temporarily, or if you're running water/meth injection, etc... I used it to compensate for when I did my IS20 swap back before there were any IS20 tunes, and ran a 13.3 @ 110mph with it, compared to 14.6 @ 96 with the IS12 on the same flash (APR Stage 1 91). In the OP's case, I'm not sure a JB4 will be worth it unless they have an e85 station nearby or plan on adding other hardware that they can't easily tune for.
I'm planning on throwing full charge pipes, a beefy front mount on (I know I should have already, but it still runs perfectly fine and makes plenty of power), and maybe an upgraded IS38 from CTS here soon. I might also do an upgraded fuel pump, but still only run 93 octane. Could you see any benefit from me using a JB4 with those modifications?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I'm planning on throwing full charge pipes, a beefy front mount on (I know I should have already, but it still runs perfectly fine and makes plenty of power), and maybe an upgraded IS38 from CTS here soon. I might also do an upgraded fuel pump, but still only run 93 octane. Could you see any benefit from me using a JB4 with those modifications?
Is it the CTS replacement IS38 or a hybrid? I don't think I've heard of CTS making an upgraded IS38, just a direct replacement. If you get a hybrid IS38, or something like the garrett stage 1 turbo, or anything else that's a bit larger, the JB4 would help if you're sticking with an OTS tune.

Last edited:

victorchen008

No, it is quite dangerous, there are two main reasons, one is that by the end of the day the obd port has some delay and the second reason is that most programs have modified the voltage of the knock sensor which means that the log you got is actually not accurate.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No, it is quite dangerous, there are two main reasons, one is that by the end of the day the obd port has some delay and the second reason is that most programs have modified the voltage of the knock sensor which means that the log you got is actually not accurate.
Can you provide sources for those claims?