GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auxiliary high beam driving lights install

ride1061

I am trying to install a set of LED driving lights to serve as auxiliary "high-high" beams on my Mk7.5 with the lighting package. I'm fully aware these are already excellent headlamps, but my commute takes me through some very rural roads where I would enjoy a bit more throw distance.

On my Mk6 GTI, I mounted a pair of these behind the grill and the long distance light output was excellent. On that car I had a euroswitch but never installed rear fogs. I wired the LED pods using two relays in series, so the lights only would be on when the light switch had rear fogs "on" AND when the normal high beams were on. This was a good permissive so they weren't ready to use if I didn't really need them. I ran a repair wire to the rear fog position on the headlight switch, and tapped the high beam trigger wire. Mounted both relays behind the fuse box door and it worked like a charm.
Relevant link #1
Relevant link #2

Flash forward to the 2018 GTI. After doing some initial research I see that these LED lights do not have a dedicated high beam trigger wire - instead, it's all CAN bus controlled. The wiring diagrams for the headlamps are here. I considered tapping into the turn signal switch below the column, but the high beam "on" (i.e. pushed forward) doesn't "stick" in that position, so I doubt that would provide a constant signal to use for a relay.

If my understanding of CAN bus is correct, the only way to piggy back the high beam signal is to listen for the CAN bus packet corresponding to "high beams on". Does anyone have any experience with this before I start digging through arduino forums? I'm far from an expert on the matter. I came across this product which seems like it's exactly what I need, but I have no idea if it actually work... Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

ride106

Ready to race!
In case anyone ever comes across this post and wonders, the CANM8 High Beam module works on the Mk7.5. I tapped the Can-Hi and Can-Lo wires under the steering column and ran them to the module, which then outputs a 12v signal when the high beams are on.

However, different from the Mk6 platform is a now single trigger wire from the light switch to the BCM for both front and rear fogs. Pulling the front fog position closes a 1500ohm circuit between pins 5 and 6. So that won't work for use as a secondary 12v relay trigger.

Last edited:

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
You could use unused positions on the bcm for this as well with some coding. Activating unused Leuchte sets and adding a repair wire wouldn't be that hard to do.

ride106

Ready to race!
I looked into that as well, but I think the leuchte sets programming has changed substantially for the 7.5 lighting package. For example, you cannot VCDS fogs with high beams anymore (to my knowledge)

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
why don't you just do what I did when I installed my HELLA driving lights, and wire them with a totally separate switch, using an add a fuse on 12v switched power? Super easy, wired with a relay too.

ride106

Ready to race!
Tethering the control to the high beams is key for me - I didn't want to risk blinding some poor bastard while fumbling for a second switch coming around a corner... plus I wanted the lights and switches to be as invisible as possible

edit - probably overkill but we all have our quirks right?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Nope....not overkill or a quirk...totally get it, but just sayin'.....easier the other way.

ride106

Ready to race!
Wired up and mounted. Probably still too cold for the plastic, I busted a couple clips removing the bumper cover, but overall pleased with the result.

Attachments

• IMG_5613.png
    IMG_5613.png
    14.6 MB · Views: 1,106
  • IMG_5609.JPG
    IMG_5609.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 723
  • IMG_5610.JPG
    IMG_5610.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 741
  • IMG_5612.JPG
    IMG_5612.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,252
  • IMG_5614.JPG
    IMG_5614.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 2,193

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Wow... Nice work. How about some night shots to see how the road is lit up?

ride106

Ready to race!
As always, photos never do it justice. 4 pics, no lights / low beams / high beams / high-high beams, same exposure. They're almost too bright - for example, when they hit a reflective road sign, it's a lot back in your own direction. They definitely are good for empty rural roads, though.

Attachments

• IMG_5615.jpg
    IMG_5615.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 314
  • IMG_5616.jpg
    IMG_5616.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG_5617.jpg
    IMG_5617.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG_5618.jpg
    IMG_5618.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 276

MaxB

why don't you just do what I did when I installed my HELLA driving lights, and wire them with a totally separate switch, using an add a fuse on 12v switched power? Super easy, wired with a relay too.
thinking of aux lights for mine. did this method create error codes?