GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Passing Colorado Smog Check

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I’m relatively new to CO and not familiar with the smog checks out here. I have a cold air intake. Will that pass visual inspection out here?

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
They don’t do visual inspection. When I took my 01 Dodge Ram in all they did was run obd2 and hook up exhaust but being newer they probably will do just the obd2 hook up.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Just took my golf r through emissions (Littleton location). I was surprised that it passed with a eqt stage 1 map still loaded.

edit: We’ll see how the upgraded turbo setup does when it’s due. I’ll hope that I won’t need emissions on the golf for another year.

Last edited:

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
Hey all, following up on this as I'm starting to think about my emissions test for my R which comes due early next year. I'm a bit confused on Colorado and readiness. I thought that all readiness checks had to set in Colorado, but I found the below on the Colorado State Emissions FAQ's which seems to suggest that for newer cars that one readiness monitor doesnt have to set and you can still pass. In my case the Fuel System Monitor won't set due to my upgraded LPFP. When I review some of the Colorado OBD inspection reports online (example on 2nd screen shot below) i dont even see Fuel System as one of the monitors even listed on the reports.

https://cdphe.colorado.gov/motorvehicle-faqs
1661006575537.png

1661006596146.png

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
That’s interesting thanks for the info I had always thought also that everything had to be set. After I get home later either tonight or tomorrow I’ll try to look up my smog check on my 2001 ram I had done last year and see what it says for what was checked when plugged into obd2.

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
That’s interesting thanks for the info I had always thought also that everything had to be set. After I get home later either tonight or tomorrow I’ll try to look up my smog check on my 2001 ram I had done last year and see what it says for what was checked when plugged into obd2.
That would be greatly appreciated! Was the smog check done this year? I thought I remember that CO made some changes on 1/1/2022 in regards to emissions but cant remember what those were

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
That would be greatly appreciated! Was the smog check done this year? I thought I remember that CO made some changes on 1/1/2022 in regards to emissions but cant remember what those were
No it was done last September ish. Before the new rules went into effect this year. As far as I know on the new rules it has to do with cat replacements having to be carb approved with a eo stamp on them. I don’t know if any other changes made. I will probably need to take it in soon senta the plates are up for renewal in October so I’ll try to find out then also what I can.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
So checked but unfortunately the paperwork for the smog check must have got tossed at some point so I don’t have it any more sorry.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
To add complexity here I saw this over the weekend. I can't find anything that states CO implemented ECU checks for tunes quite yet. CA started July last year. I figured CO would follow suit at some point but I didn't think it would be this soon. Not sure if anyone else has heard anything? https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/960052-Colorado-emissions-testing-APR-Stage-1
Wow that really sucks I hadn’t heard of anybody other then California checking for tunes but if they have come here now also that makes leaving look even more tempting.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Just got my registration for my truck and it didn’t need emissions this year so I guess it’s every two years it needs it

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Just got my registration for my truck and it didn’t need emissions this year so I guess it’s every two years it needs it
Yep I got a notice for the Taco and company car the other day and neither need emissions. The Tacoma is an ‘05 and I did emissions last year. The Escapé is a ‘20 so I don’t think it needs testing yet. Stoked to just go to the kiosk at King Soops. You might be able to do it online but I haven’t tried.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Yep I got a notice for the Taco and company car the other day and neither need emissions. The Tacoma is an ‘05 and I did emissions last year. The Escapé is a ‘20 so I don’t think it needs testing yet. Stoked to just go to the kiosk at King Soops. You might be able to do it online but I haven’t tried.
Yep my brother just went to the kiosk got it done the next day now I just need to put the tags on.

With the escape you should have the 7 years from new before you need to do that one.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Yep my brother just went to the kiosk got it done the next day now I just need to put the tags on.

With the escape you should have the 7 years from new before you need to do that one.

Fuck that, I’m doing everything I can to get out of that hand-me-down company car. It’s bright blue. I want to put wheel spacers on and lower it but it’s a company car and I can’t mess with liability.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Fuck that, I’m doing everything I can to get out of that hand-me-down company car. It’s bright blue. I want to put wheel spacers on and lower it but it’s a company car and I can’t mess with liability.
You do that post pics it probably be the first escape set up like that. My company buys all Ford's and my gm drives a escape but all the cars a garbage. Kee telling them to buy something else.