GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Steering Wheel Upgrade/Refurbishments - Post em Up!

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
My 10' GTI steering wheel is showing its age. Need some inspiration and resources on how to restore or upgrade mine. Done a re-wrap? MK7 swap? Post up what you've done!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
@Francoleon91 has a cool one.

pics from his build thread:
1627766678495.jpeg

52EFCAFB-6F58-4E20-B31E-AAE8E652595D.jpeg

8AAED6CD-828D-40B8-8779-6504EBDC3FB9.jpeg

@torga has a MK7 one that looks killer too

1627766925877.jpeg

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
I also found this thread of a DIY re-wrap. Looks manageable but I'd like to see someone do it the proper way and remove the OEM leather wrap and replace it outright. Then again these kits might be sized/intended to go over the OEM leather. I personally am not much of a fan of that look.

That carbon fiber wheel it the t its..... :love:

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
Following

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I have used this company a couple times and they look close to factory if done correctly. They go over the existing leather. They're not cheap but they're not to expensive. And don't look cheap either.

https://www.lonckyauto.com/

There is a video that shows the process. It is pretty labor intensive. It took me 4 hours both times I did it but the results were very good.

Attachments

• 20180614_200733.jpg
    20180614_200733.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 126

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
^ Thanks for sharing. Curious to see if anyone has had the OE leather replaced for comparison

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion

tdream1

Autocross Newbie

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
if it does fit, I think the added costs of sourcing an MK7 airbag and the steering wheel controls would make it cost prohibitive.
I was thinking about grabbing the APR one, but that’s exactly what swayed me against it.

Plus the MK6 wheel is much nicer than the MK7s, imo.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Plus the MK6 wheel is much nicer than the MK7s, imo.

Agreed. I do wish the MK6 had cruise controls on the steering wheel like every other car on the planet.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Don’t think illumination works when retrofitting a mk7 wheel. There’s some sort of custom module that worked, not sure if it’s still available.

torga

Autocross Champion
Don’t think illumination works when retrofitting a mk7 wheel. There’s some sort of custom module that worked, not sure if it’s still available.
From what I've read it might depend on the equipped LCM. I've got a 2011 base model GTI and my Mk7 wheel works flawlessly -- illumination and buttons. The only thing that obviously doesn't work are the cruise control buttons on the Mk7 wheel.