GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Well. Got kicked out of novice class. Finally won first. Was getting beat by an rs6, but improved 1.5 seconds in my last 2 runs.

Also beat the type R and Golf R that used to beat me by 1.5-2 seconds. Granted they're not in my class but they're what I measured my performance by.

The only STH car is trailered to the track. He's hardcore and good. He beat me by a second. Used to beat me by 3, so I'm good with that.

These RE71R made a huge difference.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
RS4s did quite well in wet. Would have been even better if in my haste to mount them (with a 3 year old watching and asking incessant questions) last night I noticed they were directional... D'oh!

Was leading "intermediate street tire" (yay for ridiculous mixed classes!) On the wet morning track, once it dried out in the afternoon I ended up in 3rd. Definitely need more rotation, was fast for a lot of the course but when it got tight I had a lot of trouble getting the car pointed without slowing WAY down. The Ohlins should help out a lot there. Still took 3rd. I was 3-4 seconds behind the top cars, a beautiful and well driven gt3 and full prep stx brz. So, still a long way to go.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
RS4s did quite well in wet. Would have been even better if in my haste to mount them (with a 3 year old watching and asking incessant questions) last night I noticed they were directional... D'oh!
Sounds like something I would do. I hope your 3 year old wasn't taking notes. 😂

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
your idea is trending lol

Attachments

• PXL_20210725_230114772.jpg
    PXL_20210725_230114772.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 88

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I needed SOME driver excuse... That's totally worth like 3 seconds right?
only if I can use it too :)
I coulda been ftd by over a second last month :D

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Wet lap from this morning. Not my fastest of the morning as it dried out a bit towards the end but one of the funner laps.

That's a long course. Y'all are lucky. Ours are usually in the 30-40s range.

Run looked clean to me with good lines through the turns except for maybe 1 or 2.

How were the RS4s?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Fast run video is up.

Car felt off pace, and very loose, even with hot tires front and rear.

I have not been on the Lincoln surface since April, so this was my first "hot" even on concrete.

I've got new tires on the way, and I'll probably back off on toe out.

This is a change from my last event, the St. Louis Divisional where I placed 4th in pax over two days, and the car was not loose, on asphalt.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
That's a long course. Y'all are lucky. Ours are usually in the 30-40s range.

Run looked clean to me with good lines through the turns except for maybe 1 or 2.

How were the RS4s?
Yeah the airfield is awesome. RS4s were a LOT grippier at the limit than the PS4Ss, they were much more comfortable with more slip angle. Right front was getting HOT but there wasn't much heat in the rears at all, so think I have to play with pressures some. Some more oversteer wouldn't hurt for heating up the rears either.

Here's my fastest (clean) dry lap. Feels like I did pretty well up through the slalom (minus lines in the sweepers being too wide possibly, and some cone spacing I could improve), second half was definitely late on features and never found a great line down the taxiway after the sweeper off the main runway. Pointers/suggestions always welcome!

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Fast run video is up.

Car felt off pace, and very loose, even with hot tires front and rear.

I have not been on the Lincoln surface since April, so this was my first "hot" even on concrete.

I've got new tires on the way, and I'll probably back off on toe out.

This is a change from my last event, the St. Louis Divisional where I placed 4th in pax over two days, and the car was not loose, on asphalt.

I like a little loose, so I'd be happy with that.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I like a little loose, so I'd be happy with that.
It wasn’t good for the snap slalom before a brake zone and then a quick right flick.

I was literally throttle steering the first left hand sweeper.

It was loose enough I wasn’t comfortable tossing the car.

I’m going down to 0.20 total toe out for the next event.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Fresh staggered tires go on the car Sunday, curious to see how it feels. I'm expecting it to be fairly loose while the tires burn in, but hopefully it stabilizes. Even if it's a little looser than I'd like, I'll probably leave it alone knowing that a) our local side is fairly slick and b) the car will tighten up a bit in Lincoln

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Got the Ohlins in this weekend. Waiting for ride height to settle a bit but I do think I need shorter springs in the rear, to get any preload on them at all the car seems to be excessively raked. This is with 200mm 110N/mm springs. 175mm would be about right.

Rear damping was definitely too low at 20 clicks out even with the revalve. 15 feels better, maybe another couple clicks to get it critically damped. Need to play with front too and see where it feels best.

Ride is definitely noticeably firmer but not especially harsh. We'll see how the wife feels about it... I'm guessing I'm going to get an earful :)

Attachments

• PXL_20210801_044506831.jpg
    PXL_20210801_044506831.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 76