GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

torga's Daily Build - black, 6mt, two-door shenanigans

torga

Autocross Champion
Shop diagnosed the car. The leak is coming from where I thought (upper rad hose), so they'll be replacing that as well as the temp sensor upon my request. I initially thought the thermostat was also stuck open, but they seem to be positive that the leaking hose connection was actually mimicking the symptoms of a stuck thermostat. That's great news and makes sense -- I found it hard to believe that a barely-year-old thermostat was already stuck open.

torga

Autocross Champion
Just finished buying everything I need to do my R32 brakes, except for fluid.
Going full StopTech -- high-carbon blanks, 308 pads, and SS lines. Already had Tyrolsport stiffening pins on hand. If I include the profit I made by flipping a set of TT-RS calipers, I managed to stay under a grand for everything.

Now that everything is physically coming and no longer lives on a spreadsheet, this will hopefully get me off my ass and I'll prep the calipers within the next few weekends. Need to clean them up for paint, as well as replace piston boots and all hardware. The fronts need some real cleaning, but the rears should be quick. It's a shame - the OEM blue coating on the rears is in nearly perfect shape. Been real lethargic about car stuff lately.

Last edited:

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Just finished buying everything I need to do my R32 brakes, except for fluid.
Going full StopTech -- high-carbon blanks, 308 pads, and SS lines. Already had Tyrolsport stiffening pins on hand. If I include the profit I made by flipping a set of TT-RS calipers, I managed to stay under a grand for everything.

Now that everything is physically coming and no longer lives on a spreadsheet, this will hopefully get me off my ass and I'll prep the calipers within the next few weekends. Need to clean them up for paint, as well as replace piston boots and all hardware. The fronts need some real cleaning, but the rears should be quick. It's a shame - the OEM blue coating on the rears is in nearly perfect shape. Been real lethargic about car stuff lately.

Just curious (and I think you've said this elsewhere but I can't remember) - why did you choose to flip the TTRS calipers and go with the R32's instead? Weight? Braking balance?

torga

Autocross Champion
Just curious (and I think you've said this elsewhere but I can't remember) - why did you choose to flip the TTRS calipers and go with the R32's instead? Weight? Braking balance?
It boiled down to aesthetics and cost. They're big calipers and to make them fit, I had two options:

1.) To run them with my wheels I needed 10mm spacers. I'm very, very pleased with my fitment (good, meaty tires and reasonable, near-stock camber). With an extra 10mm of offset to deal with, I was going to have to compromise with either more neg camber, or skinnier tires because I'm already on the verge of rubbing. I didn't want to do either of those things.
2.) Buy new wheels that can fit the brakes without spacers. To my knowledge, the only 18x8.5 wheel in the ET40-ET45 range that can fit these brakes is the Neuspeed RSe10. I did not want to spend $1500+ on wheels just to fit these brakes. Just too much unnecessary money spent.

I already had the front/rear R32 calipers, so the decision was easy.

torga

Autocross Champion
Got my car back yesterday and everything seems tip top. Leak is gone and my coolant temp reading is much more predictable now.

Now just gotta make time for the traditional post-fix car wash.

torga

Autocross Champion
Sadly, one of my rear rotors came damaged. Looks like a hard drop on the edge, which pushed up some material on the braking surface. I bought these from RockAuto, so I shouldn't have any issues getting it replaced.

PXL_20210803_233707073.jpg
PXL_20210803_233657536.jpg

torga

Autocross Champion
Some shots from a car meet this weekend. My car is filthy, but somehow all the dirt didn't come through too strongly in the photos. Links to full res below the image preview because for some reason, this website refuses to throw up a preview for any files from my mirrorless camera. No idea why -- JPG is JPG!

Screenshot 2021-08-04 093535.png

View attachment DSCF7781-HDR.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-04 093603.png

View attachment DSCF7418.JPG

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
FYI, vigorous scrubbing with dish soap and a spray-down with odor neutralizer doesn't do much to get rid of the smell of split coolant from the trunk carpet. Gonna need to figure something else out.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
FYI, vigorous scrubbing with dish soap and a spray-down with odor neutralizer doesn't do much to get rid of the smell of split coolant from the trunk carpet. Gonna need to figure something else out.
Oof. Get a scrubber brush that attaches to a drill and try proper carpet cleaning fluid?

torga

Autocross Champion
Oof. Get a scrubber brush that attaches to a drill and try proper carpet cleaning fluid?
Yeaah, I'm trying to avoid throwing money at this, so I tried the free thing first. I'm still gonna try the next-to-free thing -- gonna see if air freshener does anything. Luckily, this is the removable rubber-backed mat, not the stiffer trunk floor that lifts to reveal the spare.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Got my car back yesterday and everything seems tip top. Leak is gone and my coolant temp reading is much more predictable now.

Now just gotta make time for the traditional post-fix car wash.
Nice, last month I also had coolant issues.
My radiator decided to basically fall apart, sprung a massive leak all along the side where metal meets plastic.
I thought at first my pump had gone out since thats more typical but i guess we both lucked out that it was simpler solutions.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Last time i had this happen on a pair of carpet floor mats i had to take them out and drown them with water using a low pressure hose.
Took some time to dry out but it didnt smell after that.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Yeaah, I'm trying to avoid throwing money at this, so I tried the free thing first. I'm still gonna try the next-to-free thing -- gonna see if air freshener does anything. Luckily, this is the removable rubber-backed mat, not the stiffer trunk floor that lifts to reveal the spare.
The CarGo mat? If so, I agree.

Take it out.
Drown it.
Scrub it.
Shopvac it.
Repeat, at least two more times.

(Some Deodorizing spray might help. I used CG leather scented spray when I was addressing my sunroof leak. I would lay down some before the scrubbing step.)

torga

Autocross Champion
The CarGo mat? If so, I agree.

Take it out.
Drown it.
Scrub it.
Shopvac it.
Repeat, at least two more times.

(Some Deodorizing spray might help. I used CG leather scented spray when I was addressing my sunroof leak. I would lay down some before the scrubbing step.)
Y'all and your garages with your toys. I guess could drown it in my tub, but I've got no shop vac and nowhere to keep one. I knew a few people with a shop vac, but I don't wanna bother them. Doing maintenance on or cleaning my car always ends up being a field trip. It's gotten real old.

torga

Autocross Champion
Nice, last month I also had coolant issues.
My radiator decided to basically fall apart, sprung a massive leak all along the side where metal meets plastic.
I thought at first my pump had gone out since thats more typical but i guess we both lucked out that it was simpler solutions.
Did you swap to an aluminum rad or just quick OE replacement? I haven't decided what to do when my rad eventually starts leaking.