GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
18x8.5 and 18x9... going to try 18s at the track and see how it feels. Wallet doesn't appreciate this sort of experimentation :rolleyes:
You running a staggered setup?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There are more tire options in 17” at a better price point.

Same tire in 17” to 18”, don’t think there will much difference in lap time. They don’t have NT01’s in my size so it will be hard for me to make any comparison. Unless the difference in steering feel gives the driver more confidence to push harder.

GRM did a test with a 3 series and same width in 17 and 18. 18 were faster by a few tenths. For tracking, I'll live.

Though I agree, that may not be the case for every platform.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I will get these mounted next week. These seem wider than my 255 NT01’s.

12147179-0088-4848-B270-98DC1C29F8EC.jpeg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
That is correct. 255-35-18 Toyo RR’s

Just measured the tires and they seem fractionally wider than advertised.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
245-40-18 NT01‘s are at the same price point as a 255-35-18 Toyo RR. Unfortunately NT01’s do not come in 255-35-18. And I was looking for something stickier to get the IS38 power to the ground. And didn’t want to go to Hoosiers. I want to get the suspension and alignment dialed in and figured I would burn the best off the Hoosiers doing the development on setup.

Brian how do the RR’s compare to the Goodyear 3R’s for laptime around VIR. I’m guessing very similar….? I would still like to try a 265 square setup on the GTi. And how does the steering feel compare between the two?
My understanding is the 3R’s are consistent and grip all the way down to the cords. The other reason I went with the RR’s is that they will likely be faster than the R7’s on the back end of their life, with the R7’s heat cycling out sooner.

Guessing that RR’s will be 1-1.5seconds faster around VIR than NT01’s. Curious as to whether they will be slower than NT01’s when the heat cycle out? I’m going to be on a learning curve.

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
It’s really hard to say without swapping back to back on a given day, but thats probably close. I never ran the RR at VIR, but my best at ViR on Nittos was about 2:08 vs 2:06 on R7. The one time I ran the 3R at VIR I turned 2:06.9, but that was on a very hot day, so I think they would be close to the R7.
Same for RdAtl, where my times with RR split the difference. 1:35.5 on R7, 1:37 on RR, 1:38 on NT01. Drop off with heat cycles was similar for R7 and RR, and maybe just a bit less for the 3R, but I did manage to spin the car on the first turn on my out lap at CMP on day 3 with the 3R….. They can be tricky until warmed up. NT01 does drop off (contrary to internet wisdom), but more slowly. I’m lucky to get 3 days out of any tire.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thanks. That’s good feedback on the performance potential of each tire.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
So I just ordered the Verkline LCA and spherical bushes for the rear control arm. Direct from the website. Even shipping was reasonable.
we are under strict lockdown here in Sydney so no track for god knows when. But I needed something to do 😄 and wasn’t happy with the amount of caster and camber I had. Aiming to reduce caster and increase neg camber a little with these. As well as improve how the car responds to quick inputs.

Reactions: q74

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Awesome! They are quality pieces.