GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rail pressure drop

Benmk7gti

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI
Hello everyone, I have a 2016 MK7 GTI running IS38, turboback, intercooler, autotech hpfp internals, walbro 450 lpfp and sneekytuned E85 tune base map still. I bought one lpfp that I suspected to be used and while testing it, it only provided 54psi under wot which caused a rail pressure drop. Now, I have received a brand new pump from CTS, yet the rail pressure is still dropping. Is it a possibility that the filter is just sitting too tight in the bucket and it’s not getting enough fuel? We installed it exactly like it said on the manual, but maybe we need to make some adjustments

Last edited:

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
I also have an IS38 full E85 GTI custom tuned by EQT and had nothing but issues with my PR 450LPFP. The top of the pump that pushed into the basket with the O-ring kept on backing out during WOT. I was getting fuel cuts galore. I removed my pump over 10 times trying to troubleshoot the exact reason for the fuel cuts. The issue was finally resolved when I zip tied the shit out of the pump into place in the basket. Several months later, I started having the same issue and said screw it and bought the RS3 Brushless pump. I got re-tuned by EQT and have never had a problem since. (Since I was getting re-tuned for the RS3 pump, I also added MPI)

As PowerDemon said, logs going from 2k-6.5k rpms would be the most telling. Remove traction control and try to limit wheel spin, 3rd was always useless to me, so I always did my logs in 4th gear (DSG). Pay attention to rail pressure, rail pressure set point, STFT, and Cylinder 1 Injector End Angle Primary Pulse. Rail pressure vs. set point should follow one another, STFT should stay around 0 and Cylinder 1 End Angle should stay around 350. If rail pressure isn't following, STFT is rising quickly and End Angle is getting to around 220 at redline, then those are all telling symptoms of LPFP issues.

Last edited:

Benmk7gti

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI
I also have an IS38 full E85 GTI custom tuned by EQT and had nothing but issues with my PR 450LPFP. The top of the pump that pushed into the basket with the O-ring kept on backing out during WOT. I was getting fuel cuts galore. I removed my pump over 10 times trying to troubleshoot the exact reason for the fuel cuts. The issue was finally resolved when I zip tied the shit out of the pump into place in the basket. Several months later, I started having the same issue and said screw it and bought the RS3 Brushless pump. I got re-tuned by EQT and have never had a problem since. (Since I was getting re-tuned for the RS3 pump, I also added MPI)

As PowerDemon said, logs going from 2k-6.5k rpms would be the most telling. Remove traction control and try to limit wheel spin, 3rd was always useless to me, so I always did my logs in 4th gear (DSG). Pay attention to rail pressure, rail pressure set point, STFT, and Cylinder 1 Injector End Angle Primary Pulse. Rail pressure vs. set point should follow one another, STFT should stay around 0 and Cylinder 1 End Angle should stay around 350. If rail pressure isn't following, STFT is rising quickly and End Angle is getting to around 220 at redline, then those are all telling symptoms of LPFP issues.
I will try to zip tie it as well, maybe I am having the same issue as you had. My rail pressure is definitely falling short and at this point Urotuning do not want to replace another pump. I am just disappointed with the CTS quality and it doesn't seem like there is another option at this price range.

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
fwiw I had low rail pressure as a result of my fuel pump controller acting up since upgrading to RS3 pump and silver controller. Got it replaced w a black one and all good since then.

had low rail pressure despite not touching the HPFP, controller affects that as well.

Benmk7gti

Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTI
Do you think that I would need a pm4 even tho I am running the 450 pump? I know that it is required for the 525 but not sure about the 450

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
out of my element - just bought plug + play solution (with appropriate tune that is)

most of my issues were around idle, not wot

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
IMO I would return the CTS pump and get the A2B RS3 LPFP. It's a little pricey, but buy once, cry once.
Mine has been running great in my GTI and now my A3.