GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Transmission Advice

swivma

Car(s)
VW Golf GT MK5 2005
Hey, so I just got my first car, a Golf GT 2005 2.0L, and the transmission has a bit of a problem. It is currently being looked at but the main problem was that it was jumping. The car has around 100,000kms on it currently so the transmission could cost as much as we bought the car for. My question would be would it be worth swapping the automatic transmission for a manual one if it does turn out to be completely messed up? Or would it just be best to get a refund from the dealer.
Thanks

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
If you have the ability to return it to the dealer I would do so and find something else that did not have issues already.

swivma

Car(s)
VW Golf GT MK5 2005
That is a good idea, but the 2.0 is fairly rare in my area and this was the only one we could find. We didn't want to go for the 1.4 dual charged as mechanics have told us that they have lots of issues and the 2.0 was less hassle. Thanks for the advise tho

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
If you really have to keep it find a donor car you can pull all the parts you will need for the swap. If paying someone to do the swap you need to see if it will be worth it for you to have it done.

swivma

Car(s)
VW Golf GT MK5 2005
If you really have to keep it find a donor car you can pull all the parts you will need for the swap. If paying someone to do the swap you need to see if it will be worth it for you to have it done.
Thanks for all the advise, it was very helpful. Turns out the dealer is gonna pay 2,500 to fix the transmission for us so all good 👍