GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

GolfR'n&Jeep'n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' Golf R
Did you buy new tires @ Costco? I How did you get Costco to mount them?
Yeah ordered the tires online about two months ago, went in and told them I had new wheels but they were delayed at the ports, the said they'd put them on the wheels but wouldn't mount the new wheels I said no problem!

GolfR'n&Jeep'n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' Golf R
I would be concerned with galvanic corrosion. What material are the studs? I've never come across aluminum studs and I'm honestly not sure if they would be a good idea, if they even exist. Are the nuts aluminum all the way through, or are the threads on a sleeve that matches the material of the studs? Alu is also softer, so it's not totally unreasonable to think that the nuts could be rounded off or damaged if you are switching wheels often. Ultimately, your call, but FWIW I've been super happy with my basic kit from Motorsport Hardware. MH also sells extended titanium lugs if that's the look you wanted.

EDIT: Would you mind elaborating more on the Apex valve stem vs. rubber? I used the matching ones but want to understand if there is a reason why I should have.
The studs are steel from what the racingline website says and the lug nuts are anodized aluminum.

As far as the valve stems he basically said the light grey plastic part that screws down as you tighten it down to seal the inner rubber gasket can and usually does break, I guess.. which then can damage the finish around the valve stem hole, and they charge to install them, or remove them for any reason. I may just sell mine at this point I'm definitely not going to change it now

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
Yeah ordered the tires online about two months ago, went in and told them I had new wheels but they were delayed at the ports, the said they'd put them on the wheels but wouldn't mount the new wheels I said no problem!
u think if i dont buy tires from them and just ask for mounting would they do it?

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
The studs are steel from what the racingline website says and the lug nuts are anodized aluminum.

As far as the valve stems he basically said the light grey plastic part that screws down as you tighten it down to seal the inner rubber gasket can and usually does break, I guess.. which then can damage the finish around the valve stem hole, and they charge to install them, or remove them for any reason. I may just sell mine at this point I'm definitely not going to change it now
I would take the advice of your tech regarding the stud conversion. Steel studs and aluminum nuts are not the business, and the last thing you want to struggle with is breaking a cold weld apart. I highly recommend the Motorsport Hardware kit. Think I paid just a hair under $100 for a complete set of studs and nuts. Never had an issue getting them off 😁

My tech at America's Tire had no issue with the Apex valves. The only thing he mentioned to me was that the stems were meant for/compatible with TPMS sensors, but then realized that they wouldn't be a problem anyways. I've had no problems adjusting pressures on them and think they do look a little cooler than the standard rubber. In your case though, I agree that there's no real point in keeping them since you have rubber ones mounted.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
Got the wheels put on earlier today. Damn, car looks exactly how I want it and to be frank, looks fine to me without a drop. LOVE THEM. Now to...find a reason to go drive :)

I also weighed them compared to my stock wheels/tires with 10k miles on them. 49.2 lbs for stockers and 46.2 for Apex 19" with 235/40/19 PS4S.

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
u think if i dont buy tires from them and just ask for mounting would they do it?
They would likely charge for any and all labor, but then you wouldn't be able to use your warranty through them. Are you buying from Tire Rack by chance? If so, there's no benefit to going to Costco vs. going to one of TR's installers.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Got mine in today, going on soon. Smidge over 20lbs per the bathroom scale.
64AB8236-CBFC-4478-853D-1898B7E950A9.jpeg
416A1714-3207-4703-AC30-4A756C0F97AA.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Now to...find a reason to go drive :)

This is actually a common misconception. You don't need a reason, nothing stopping you from just getting in your car and driving 😀

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Jealous of all those beautiful wheels! Still waiting on ship notification, looks like they're not coming in time for next weekend at this point :(

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Not sure about costco, but discount tire will

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
At least around me, Costco stopped doing this a year or so ago. Too much liability at their prices.
Funny enough I called Costco today to ask if they could fit me in and was told they will not mount tires not purchased through them.