GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I like seeing more cellphone pics cause it gives me a more true to life look at the wheels vs the super edited by APEX. Im waiting to see the bronze and anthracite no Photoshop. Bronze is dull color but Apex shows it super shiny which may not be accurate. Unfortunately I didn't buy a set this time around I was doing power mods instead. Maybe in the next sale.
Anthracite with no editing from when i did test fitting.
9983752C-569A-496D-B6E9-31A05C54FB26.jpeg
67365820-C706-402E-BEBC-3B85318CAACE.jpeg
B7525543-0348-47F8-BB01-56624607392F.jpeg

zjchaser

Car(s)
16 GTI PP DSG
I went out this morning and took a closer look based on all of your posts. I counted approximately 10 weights in a row on one wheel (my others were similar), so roughly 2.5 oz per wheel. My tires also do not have marking dots pointing out the heaviest and lightest points on the tire, so the tech lined up my valve stem with the DOT info.

This article from Tire Rack regarding wheel weights says that the general industry standard is that the weights should not exceed 1% of the total weight of the wheel and tire assembly. In my case, 20.3# wheel + 23# tire (from TR spec) = 43.3# or 692.8 oz. 1% of that is 6.9 oz, and each wheel is well under that.

I agree that visually, it looks to be excessive. Could the shop have done a better job? Sure, I think they absolutely could have spent more time rotating the tire to get as close to zero weights as possible. However, for my use case, I don't think it's worth my time returning to the shop. The next time I need new tires, I will ask for them to try and minimize the amount of wheel weights used.

Thank you for helping me learn! :D

I'm at 5-7 on each wheel. So only 1.25 - 1.75 oz. I'm ok with that. I'm happy they used black weights. They definitely didn't line up the orange dot with anything specific on the wheel on mine.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Great stuff guys! I am stoked to finally see these wheels arrive after all this time. Now that inventory is in stock and people are starting to get their wheels mounted up, I am planning to get an APEX-specific VW gallery thread posted by the end of this week. Once I do, I will drop a link in here so you guys can post all of your glorious new setups!

On a side note, if anyone posts pictures on social media, please be sure to tag us!

EDIT: Our official APEX SM-10 gallery thread is now live! You can check it out and contribute your own pictures via the following link: APEX VW SM-10 Gallery Thread

-Geirsen

Last edited:

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Damn, look at those beef cakes! 255/40/17! That thickness looks right. Is that car dropped? Or the thickness filling up the wheel gap from stock hight? You had no rubbing issues? 17x9?
255/40/17 is the same overall height as a stock 225/40/18

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
These wheels look so good on our cars. That anthracite is 😎
Glad it has a bit more silver-pop in the unedited photos.

Tires will be here next week for mine! Will be stoked to see how the performance is between my Hypergrams in 18x8.5 vs. the 17x9 SM-10s. Really hoping a bit more rubber on the ground will offset the weight gain. The numbers will tell. Either way, the 9" wheels are going to be awesome. And the crash replacement warranty is amazing.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
My wheels showed up on Thursday, but I was out of town. I will be putting them on today. Took one wheel out this morning to take a peek and damn is it fire.

GolfR'n&Jeep'n

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15' Golf R
So Costco guy, seemed pretty knowledgeable said to not use the matching valve stems said "the plastic part opposite the rubber seal crushes and can chip the finish and leak, and they charge to remove and install them" so I had them put in rubber ones.

20210717_111432.jpg
20210717_112614.jpg

He Also said I shouldn't use these since the nuts are aluminum... that one I was skeptical about so I'm looking for some info from the members about that.

Last edited:

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
He Also said I shouldn't use these since the nuts are aluminum... that one I was skeptical about so I'm looking for some info from the members about that.
I’ve heard aluminum lugs and sticky tires are a no-no. At least one group I’ve run with had on the tech sheet no aluminum lugs if you’re running track tires. I’ve seen studs break off of race cars before, so it seems like there might be something to it to me. Never tested the theory myself though.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
So Costco guy, seemed pretty knowledgeable said to not use the matching valve stems said "the plastic part opposite the rubber seal crushes and can chip the finish and leak, and they charge to remove and install them" so I had them put in rubber ones.

View attachment 219878View attachment 219880

Did you buy new tires @ Costco? I How did you get Costco to mount them?

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R

View attachment 219878View attachment 219880

I would be concerned with galvanic corrosion. What material are the studs? I've never come across aluminum studs and I'm honestly not sure if they are a good idea, if they exist. Are the nuts aluminum all the way through, or are the threads on a sleeve that matches the material of the studs? Alu is also softer, so it's not totally unreasonable to think that the nuts could be rounded off or damaged if you are switching wheels often. Ultimately, your call, but FWIW I've been super happy with my basic kit from Motorsport Hardware. MH also sells extended titanium lugs if that's the look you wanted.

EDIT: Would you mind elaborating more on the Apex valve stem vs. rubber? I used the matching ones but want to understand if there is a reason why I shouldn't have.

Last edited: