GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to add a fuse to the cabin fuse box in a couple of minutes

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Check the spots that don't have purple locks, as mentioned in the first post to see which are Terminal 30 (which you want) vs Terminal 15.

The purple locks come out towards the left side of the car... nothing special about them really but they are a pain.

You can use any fuse position you want as long as it's the type of power (switched, or constant from battery) you want.

@milktree When I was doing my retrofits I thought I would just use positions that didn't have locks... But then I realized that having fuses in non factory positions would bother me, so out came the locks again 🙄. The other parts of most retrofits were a pain too so why stop the pain at the fuse box, haha.

@Anfas I've done those same retrofits, chirp alarm first and then interior sensors later. It's pretty cool once you get it done 👍.

milktree

Car(s)
’15 sportwagen TDI
It’s a place for fuse of inner security sensor(inner volume and jack sensor) which is located near glasses box at roof. SC6 is its place by ETKA wiring diagram. I’ve added chirp siren and now working on installation of inner sensor. Do you mean I can use other free place w/o purple lock?

That is true, yes. There are non-purple locked fuse locations that are both switched and un-switched.

As I understand it should be terminal 30 switched right(battery powered)? Also I’d like to use the format of mini fuses.

Mini, not micro, you mean?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
It’s a place for fuse of inner security sensor(inner volume and jack sensor) which is located near glasses box at roof. SC6 is its place by ETKA wiring diagram. I’ve added chirp siren and now working on installation of inner sensor. Do you mean I can use other free place w/o purple lock? As I understand it should be terminal 30 switched right(battery powered)? Also I’d like to use the format of mini fuses.
Look at post #1.

Anfas

Car(s)
2015 Golf 1.8L
That is true, yes. There are non-purple locked fuse locations that are both switched and un-switched.

Mini, not micro, you mean?
Hi! Yes, I meant mini size of fuse like in image.

mini fuse - Google Search 2021-07-18 21-05-20.jpg

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
@Cuzoe Just wanna say I have no clue how you managed to get to those purple/pink locks 😵 Especially the upper one. I've been trying for several days now to do it and I finally gave up today and ordered some of the bigger fuse terminals (to go in those lower fuses). Just can't move it out far enough because of that horizontal bar that goes across the footwell. I hate whoever designed this 🖕😂

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Cuzoe Just wanna say I have no clue how you managed to get to those purple/pink locks 😵 Especially the upper one. I've been trying for several days now to do it and I finally gave up today and ordered some of the bigger fuse terminals (to go in those lower fuses). Just can't move it out far enough because of that horizontal bar that goes across the footwell. I hate whoever designed this 🖕😂
Did you remove the big relays at the bottom of the fuse panel? They'll get you almost an extra cm of clearance. I'm assuming you unclipped the panel from the "holder" and removed those three silver bolts too ... getting those locks out is a game of mm 😂

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Did you remove the big relays at the bottom of the fuse panel? They'll get you almost an extra cm of clearance. I'm assuming you unclipped the panel from the "holder" and removed those three silver bolts too ... getting those locks out is a game of mm 😂
Yup, I tried following what you mentioned - take out the 3 bolts and get all 3 clips unhooked, then the panel starts coming forward. I also took the relays out. I can get it out basically to where maybe a couple mm of the lower lock is exposed. Like it’s not even close, I need at least a centimeter more but the left half of the fuse panel where that white clip and the two big power wires plug into the bottom are, that part runs into the plastic that goes across.

I also tried cutting the plastic with a knife but I really need a dremel.. See the red dotted line in the pic.

IMG_0029.jpeg

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I may have disconnected that, don't remember. But it comes off easily. I think I wanted it disconnected to play around in the fuse panel, although I probably had the battery disconnected.

mp3dub

Car(s)
2016 GTI
Just wanted to say thanks! Using the metal strip as an alignment tool was totally a stroke of genius. I'd added a circuit to the factory fuse box in my B6 Passat and was hoping my GTI would be similarly easy (but VW clearly had other ideas 🤣). Ended up using the other half of the "repair wire" that I used on my B6 Passat (PN 000 979 306) and sitting upside down in the driver's seat to get installed, but it's working flawlessly.

MeatHammer

Car(s)
16 S3 & 17 Golf R
I'm doing an MPI install and bought a setup used. The original owner clipped the power wire that feeds into the under hood fuse panel. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct terminal end (N90732703) to fit the under hood fuse panel?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Yes, to my knowledge N90732703 is for wire sizes 1.5-2.5mm²

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
Just thought I'd share my experience with adding a fuse where the purple locking mechansim is located, specifically SC16. Last week I installed my third OEM wireless charger and while it still took about 4 hour to do, I managed to install the fuse again in OEM location. This time I got the purple locking tab out without breaking it. I also did not take any trim off to do the installation. As noted above, I just removed the three bolts from the fuse panel, unclicked the tabs, and slowly rotated the fuse panel using trim tools. After working at it for about an hour, I was able to use a hook pick to pry the purple tab out and zip tie to get the wire in. It is possible, just a pain the ass.

IMG-4197.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've become pretty good at getting the fuse panel out far enough to get to the purple locks, but man does it suck, haha. Half the time when I order a harness for some retrofit I think to myself... I'm not mucking around with that panel... But then I see the harness I ordered came with the terminal and putting it where it belongs makes sense 🤦🏿‍♂️.

Of course, I added a couple fuses and a 37 pin d-sub with spare power and grounds that I can wire into if I want to add accessories. So I don't ever have to go back to that panel again if I don't want to, but that's a different topic, haha.