GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I'm 27 hours away but happy to make the drive if it's quicker

Johaan

Ready to race!
So who is going to share the first installed photos?

zjchaser

Car(s)
16 GTI PP DSG
So who is going to share the first installed photos?
Darn. Mine are on but I had to run errands in my truck. Only have this photo from a little bit ago.

Attachments

• 20210714_165936.jpg
    20210714_165936.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 151

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
Thats a good amount of weights they put on there
I know, right? I was surprised at that too. Was consistent across all my wheels actually. I wonder if it was partially due to the Apex valve stems as opposed to regular rubber ones... But then again these weights aren't directly across from the valve.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I know, right? I was surprised at that too. Was consistent across all my wheels actually. I wonder if it was partially due to the Apex valve stems as opposed to regular rubber ones... But then again these weights aren't directly across from the valve.
Seems likely the shop was lazy and didn't rotate the tire to reduce the balance weight required, just slapped weights on there.

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
Seems likely the shop was lazy and didn't rotate the tire to reduce the balance weight required, just slapped weights on there.
Now that you mention it, I think they may have put effort in the wrong area. Tech mentioned that he rotated the tire for "show mounting," which I hadn't heard of prior to today. Apparently it just means they lined up the DOT info with the valve stem? Correct me if I'm wrong. Is that a normal thing?

Last edited:

Millsn

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7R
Now that you mention it, I think they may have put effort in the wrong area. Tech mentioned that he rotated the tire for "show mounting," which I hadn't heard of prior to today. Apparently it just means they lined up the DOT info with the valve stem? Correct me if I'm wrong. Is that a normal thing?
There's normally a small dot (red or orange im not sure) on the tyre that shows the heaviest point. The idea is to put the valve opposite that.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Going to do some proper shots tomorrow
I like seeing more cellphone pics cause it gives me a more true to life look at the wheels vs the super edited by APEX. Im waiting to see the bronze and anthracite no Photoshop. Bronze is dull color but Apex shows it super shiny which may not be accurate. Unfortunately I didn't buy a set this time around I was doing power mods instead. Maybe in the next sale.

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
There's normally a small dot (red or orange im not sure) on the tyre that shows the heaviest point. The idea is to put the valve opposite that.
Thats a good amount of weights they put on there
I went out this morning and took a closer look based on all of your posts. I counted approximately 10 weights in a row on one wheel (my others were similar), so roughly 2.5 oz per wheel. My tires also do not have marking dots pointing out the heaviest and lightest points on the tire, so the tech lined up my valve stem with the DOT info.

This article from Tire Rack regarding wheel weights says that the general industry standard is that the weights should not exceed 1% of the total weight of the wheel and tire assembly. In my case, 20.3# wheel + 23# tire (from TR spec) = 43.3# or 692.8 oz. 1% of that is 6.9 oz, and each wheel is well under that.

I agree that visually, it looks to be excessive. Could the shop have done a better job? Sure, I think they absolutely could have spent more time rotating the tire to get as close to zero weights as possible. However, for my use case, I don't think it's worth my time returning to the shop. The next time I need new tires, I will ask for them to try and minimize the amount of wheel weights used.

Thank you for helping me learn! :D

Last edited: