GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't mean this in a rude way. But literally the first post has a giant list of cars you can use to search for.

I mean, it's only 18 cars with specific model, year and rotor size. How do you expect that to help anyone?

Think, man.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Did you paint them to say Brembo?
Nope, just bought decal and applied over. Powdercoater recommended against as he said some decals are not really high temp and they’ve had peeling in the oven and stencils were really difficult for the smaller pieces. Decals are like 8 bucks so I don’t mind.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I don't mean this in a rude way. But literally the first post has a giant list of cars you can use to search for.
I guess I should clear up the source of my issue: if you search the caliper part numbers, and look at the list of vehicles compatible on the parts website (ex: https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-caliper-front-left-95b615123f), they list the base, GTS, S, and Turbo as compatable, which is not true. These calipers are off of a base model Macan with the 2 liter engine (and maybe some others, but that is the one I confirmed to be true), but specifically NOT off of a Macan S, GTS or Turbo of most years. That's why I initially just blindly searched for Macan pads without confirming that they're the same. I later referenced said list on the first post.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I guess I should clear up the source of my issue: if you search the caliper part numbers, and look at the list of vehicles compatible on the parts website (ex: https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-caliper-front-left-95b615123f), they list the base, GTS, S, and Turbo as compatable, which is not true. These calipers are off of a base model Macan with the 2 liter engine (and maybe some others, but that is the one I confirmed to be true), but specifically NOT off of a Macan S, GTS or Turbo of most years. That's why I initially just blindly searched for Macan pads without confirming that they're the same. I later referenced said list on the first post.

Actually, I think you're wrong, depending on year. These were the S GTS and turbo calipers for early model years and the base got the version of these calipers that fit with smaller rotors. These became the base when they increase the rotor size and piston count in the S. GTS and turbo.

I'm curious if the 6 piston calipers would fit our cars.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Actually, I think you're wrong, depending on year. These were the S GTS and turbo calipers for early model years and the base got the version of these calipers that fit with smaller rotors. These became the base when they increase the rotor size and piston count in the S. GTS and turbo.

I'm curious if the 6 piston calipers would fit our cars.
Same, whether the even bigger brakes would fit our cars was the first thing that came to mind for me. Then my wallet became scared.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Same, whether the even bigger brakes would fit our cars was the first thing that came to mind for me. Then my wallet became scared.

Yeah, mk6 R rotors wouldn't work and you can't use Macan rotors. Maybe RS3 rotors?

Too rich for my blood to buy random parts that may not work.

I've been happy with this setup and I wanted to run 17" wheels on track.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Forget the macan. Do as GTIFan had suggested and search one of the other popular cars. I used EVO X as they are popular track cars and pretty much used the same pad throughout the many years of production.

There are way too many macan years and I did the same thing at first going to Porsche dealership and having been told even a 2016 macan has 16 pad variants.

Porsche parts counter guy recommended using a specific macan vin to look it up. I went out to their used car lot and found a macan with my caliper and took the vin. Then I was told that they didn’t have the pads in stock… back to internet purchase and I got a Z26 power stop for street use.

Does anyone have suggestion on where you purchase PFC / performance friction pads? I haven’t found a online retailer that carry these yet. I am looking for compound 11z

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Forget the macan. Do as GTIFan had suggested and search one of the other popular cars. I used EVO X as they are popular track cars and pretty much used the same pad throughout the many years of production.

There are way too many macan years and I did the same thing at first going to Porsche dealership and having been told even a 2016 macan has 16 pad variants.

Porsche parts counter guy recommended using a specific macan vin to look it up. I went out to their used car lot and found a macan with my caliper and took the vin. Then I was told that they didn’t have the pads in stock… back to internet purchase and I got a Z26 power stop for street use.

Does anyone have suggestion on where you purchase PFC / performance friction pads? I haven’t found a online retailer that carry these yet. I am looking for compound 11z

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/categories/Performance Friction/11 Compound.html

Porterfield is the go to source for many different brands of race pads.

Alternatively, I've heard good things about CounterSpace Garage CSG spec race pads as well:

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/categories/Performance Friction/11 Compound.html

Porterfield is the go to source for many different brands of race pads.

Alternatively, I've heard good things about CounterSpace Garage CSG spec race pads as well:

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/
I was having difficulty ordering off of porterfield's website, so I ordered some R4-S's from here: https://www.lpiracing.com/store/pc/...gory=762&make=36&model=2464&year=2003&submit= Came out to cheaper too!

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
@burgerkong, thanks for the Porterfield link.
I looked through the various applications but they didn't have the 1001.11 part number which is the one we need for our Macan calipers.

@MeltedSolid thanks for the link. I eventually went with the R4's as it is half the price of PFC 11's. Would be a good first race pad to try on these calipers.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
@burgerkong, thanks for the Porterfield link.
I looked through the various applications but they didn't have the 1001.11 part number which is the one we need for our Macan calipers.

@MeltedSolid thanks for the link. I eventually went with the R4's as it is half the price of PFC 11's. Would be a good first race pad to try on these calipers.

You can request them, I've talked to Wendy there for adding PP caliper ST43 pads - they are pretty responsive.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Took off all 4 wheels to bleed again and try to fix the loose dust boot. I tried 3 different dust boots and each one kept popping out. I applied some posi-quiet around the dust boot, seated it, and let it dry and that did the trick. All dust boots are seated properly now.

For the bleed I made sure the parking brake was off and bled at 30+psi. Fronts were good, but rears had a lot of bubbles that took a good half liter of fluid on each side to get it all out. Brakes feel amazing now. Overall pushed out about 0.75L to the fronts and 1.25L to the rears.

*edit* After driving about 100 miles I'm happy with the upgrade. The brakes feel the way I imagined and can modulate the brakes right when I press the pedal. They definitely feel better than the stock PP calipers.

Attachments

• BAE850BE-D012-459F-85BF-E6A3989B96DE.jpeg
    BAE850BE-D012-459F-85BF-E6A3989B96DE.jpeg
    950.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Took off all 4 wheels to bleed again and try to fix the loose dust boot. I tried 3 different dust boots and each one kept popping out. I applied some posi-quiet around the dust boot, seated it, and let it dry and that did the trick. All dust boots are seated properly now.

For the bleed I made sure the parking brake was off and bled at 30+psi. Fronts were good, but rears had a lot of bubbles that took a good half liter of fluid on each side to get it all out. Brakes feel amazing now. Overall pushed out about 0.75L to the fronts and 1.25L to the rears.

That's where all the air was when I did my rebleed a week after install.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R

*edit* After driving about 100 miles I'm happy with the upgrade. The brakes feel the way I imagined and can modulate the brakes right when I press the pedal. They definitely feel better than the stock PP calipers.
Very nice and thanks for the write up about dust boot.

curious how did you remove the original boots?

what is posi-quiet? Would red rubber grease do the same trick?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Very nice and thanks for the write up about dust boot.

curious how did you remove the original boots?

what is posi-quiet? Would red rubber grease do the same trick?

If you're not going to reuse them, you can use a pick. If you are going to reuse them, you can use a pick but be gentle.