GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping an Audi Cigarette Lighter/12v Socket

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
I know this is an old thread but I found the retainer sleave that I believe is the illuminated version on a parts website.

https://www.volkswagenpartsplus.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-retainer-6k0919341?c=bD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM=

the socket barrel looks a little different too.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Search/8...bCvgDuj2LjBYTMEmw3ObjSp8zVepFoSxoCNZcQAvD_BwE

I purchased the illuminated part - just haven't had a chance to install it. I don't have that silly VAG pulling tool required to remove the socket, and I'm not taking apart the center console for this. Will take a picture of the part.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I purchased the illuminated part - just haven't had a chance to install it. I don't have that silly VAG pulling tool required to remove the socket, and I'm not taking apart the center console for this. Will take a picture of the part.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone successfully installed the illuminated ring part? I pulled mine out but discovered that it's not lighting up properly after reinstalling the outlet into the sleeve and plugging it all in. No blown fuses or anything; could it be because the wiring harness only goes to two of the three prongs in the outlet? If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be keen to hear, a little stuck for now.

Attachments

• 1IMG_0570.jpeg
    1IMG_0570.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0566.jpeg
    IMG_0566.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0573-2.jpeg
    IMG_0573-2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0571.jpeg
    IMG_0571.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 156

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
My car, a 2015, has the illuminated ring... But three wires would be required to light it up. One wire is a ground, one wire would be the 12 volts for the socket itself, one wire would be connected to the dimmer power (variable voltage). You could tap it off of the harness that goes to the button(s) around your shifter. Or off of the harness that goes to the lever position lights if DSG.

When I get a chance to get on my computer I can post some wiring diagrams for those buttons, probably the pinout for the 12V socket too.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
My car, a 2015, has the illuminated ring... But three wires would be required to light it up. One wire is a ground, one wire would be the 12 volts for the socket itself, one wire would be connected to the dimmer power (variable voltage). You could tap it off of the harness that goes to the button(s) around your shifter. Or off of the harness that goes to the lever position lights if DSG.

When I get a chance to get on my computer I can post some wiring diagrams for those buttons, probably the pinout for the 12V socket too.
Damn; was hoping that wouldn't be the case but makes sense :\ Is there any way to tap it off the wire for the 12v itself? Was desperately trying to avoid having to take the center console apart haha

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Forgot about this, but here's the diagram for the lighter. Designator U18 is the lighter. Pin 3 is tied to the rotary dimmer switch.

As for tapping off the 12V, connecting Pin 2 to Pin 3 would make it so the light ring always on. However, I don't know what the voltage range for the dimming (0-12V, 0-5V, etc). If the range is 0-12 then connecting to pin 2 will be okay, the light ring would be full bright. If you've done the mod (moved the fuse) for the 12V plugs to be powered all the time that ring will also be on all the time making slow battery drain a concern. If you have not done that mod the ring be on with the plug, ACC on I think.

I believe the dimming range is 0-12V but I'm not 100% on that, maybe someone will chime in... please, haha. If you decide to tap into shifter surround button wiring, it will be pin 2 (a gray wire, per the schematic) on either one of those sets of buttons.

Attachments

• Snip 1.JPG
    Snip 1.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 144

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Forgot about this, but here's the diagram for the lighter. Designator U18 is the lighter. Pin 3 is tied to the rotary dimmer switch.

As for tapping off the 12V, connecting Pin 2 to Pin 3 would make it so the light ring always on. However, I don't know what the voltage range for the dimming (0-12V, 0-5V, etc). If the range is 0-12 then connecting to pin 2 will be okay, the light ring would be full bright. If you've done the mod (moved the fuse) for the 12V plugs to be powered all the time that ring will also be on all the time making slow battery drain a concern. If you have not done that mod the ring be on with the plug, ACC on I think.

I believe the dimming range is 0-12V but I'm not 100% on that, maybe someone will chime in... please, haha. If you decide to tap into shifter surround button wiring, it will be pin 2 (a gray wire, per the schematic) on either one of those sets of buttons.
That's super useful, thank you! I think we're rapidly approaching the limit of my electric engineering knowledge :) but good to keep in the back pocket at least. The part was only $25 so even if there's no easy way to light it it's not the end of the world. If anyone does attempt it though would be interested to hear how it goes!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Looks like a lot of work, haha.
Ha, yeah, I'd never put that amount of work into a socket plug but it is a part I manufacture for custom bikes with integrated generator lights. It's a rotary switch that switches the lights on and off. I have a ton of prototypes and spares, and it occurred to me one day that it could make a nice replacement for that plastic thing.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Ha, yeah, I'd never put that amount of work into a socket plug but it is a part I manufacture for custom bikes with integrated generator lights. It's a rotary switch that switches the lights on and off. I have a ton of prototypes and spares, and it occurred to me one day that it could make a nice replacement for that plastic thing.

oooOOoOOoo a firefly. Sweet.