GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nogaro wheel refurb colour choice?

nemophilist

Car(s)
GTD 2016
I have a black mk7 GTD with Nogaro wheels. They are in desperate need of refurbing but I dont want to get them diamond cut again.

I cant decide between going for a bronze colour or an gunmetal colour and cant seem to find examples of them in bronze online to see what they might look like on the car once done.

Please help me choose a colour?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I like my Gun Metal Nogaros...

To my knowledge, there's another silver GTI with Gun Metal Nogaros somewhere in Texas. I got my idea for this color from a beautiful red specimen in the UK.

With that said, it's been three years since I saw all of that. Given the way people can go through wheels, especially the desire to go aftermarket, those cars may have moved on to a different look.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
So I've just recently had mine done, too. Took them to the guy and was horrified when he told me that they couldn't be diamond cut again, they were so badly corroded (it's been parked on Brighton sea front for the last 3/4 years).

He told me to paint them black - I cringed. I hated the thought of going a custom colour. But I went away and thought about it and came around to the idea.

This is how they look now and I was honestly speechless, when I saw it. Black metallic and his detailing guy next door did my brake calipers for me for the trouble.

1621418308814.png

I swithered a a little on whether or not I could do them in Anthracite as well, I didn't want them looking too severe but the metallic lifts it a little! The only thing I'd consider doing in addition to this is swapping the mirror caps for black ones, just to bring them out down the side a little more. Other than that though, I'm absolutely delighted with them!

I just need to have the re-spray done now and she'll be looking awesome! My headlamps are a little sun damaged unfortunately but I'm going to look at replacing the lenses on them, next year.

Attachments

• 1621418353836.png
    1621418353836.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 1,253

VW2021

Car(s)
Mk7 GTi PP
I've the same dilemma with the 19" Santiago's on my Tornado Red Mk7 GTi PP. Think they still have a diamond cut refurb left in them, but looking at your powder coated wheels and others, I'm swaying towards powder coating. Only decision now is whether to go black, gunmetal grey or something else? Does anyone have any other photos to share?

Heathy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 VW GTD
Just adding to this post as I’ve finally booked my wheels in to be refurbished, currently have diamond cut Nogaros on a reflex silver GTD.

I was originally thinking of Gloss Anthracite but I saw a photo of some satin black nogaros, which I’ll attach below, and thought they do look quite nice but seeing it on a bare rim and seeing them on a car are two different things. Don’t suppose anyone has any Satin black, gloss or matte anthracite wheels? Either on a silver golf or with nogaros or just in general? Any advice on issues or anything with any of the colours, what they like dirty, longevity etc?

I was also thinking matte anthracite too. Any ideas would be helpful to help me decide what would be best. Attached images of my golf, satin nogaros, anthracite nogaros and anthracite wheels on a silver merc, do think anthracite goes with silver, do like the satin nogaros but not sure if they will look too much and also blend in with the tyres or not.

Attachments

• AD5A6CB1-E2B1-4713-ABE0-76F56EEF9573.jpeg
    AD5A6CB1-E2B1-4713-ABE0-76F56EEF9573.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 306
  • CC9AD0B4-FAFE-41C8-B3D2-C94657D5511A.jpeg
    CC9AD0B4-FAFE-41C8-B3D2-C94657D5511A.jpeg
    602.1 KB · Views: 229
  • A1BFD66C-56EC-44BA-8BA6-E8A22CBF8385.jpeg
    A1BFD66C-56EC-44BA-8BA6-E8A22CBF8385.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 271
  • AEC9AAB5-66D4-4159-9C76-B72DFF774366.jpeg
    AEC9AAB5-66D4-4159-9C76-B72DFF774366.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Just adding to this post as I’ve finally booked my wheels in to be refurbished, currently have diamond cut Nogaros on a reflex silver GTD.

I was originally thinking of Gloss Anthracite but I saw a photo of some satin black nogaros, which I’ll attach below, and thought they do look quite nice but seeing it on a bare rim and seeing them on a car are two different things. Don’t suppose anyone has any Satin black, gloss or matte anthracite wheels? Either on a silver golf or with nogaros or just in general? Any advice on issues or anything with any of the colours, what they like dirty, longevity etc?

I was also thinking matte anthracite too. Any ideas would be helpful to help me decide what would be best. Attached images of my golf, satin nogaros, anthracite nogaros and anthracite wheels on a silver merc, do think anthracite goes with silver, do like the satin nogaros but not sure if they will look too much and also blend in with the tyres or not.
Like car paint colour, alloy wheel colour is a very personal thing so the responses you get may make you more confused as different people like different things. From a personal perspective, I‘m not a big fan of black alloys;
  • the design of the wheel tends to get ‘lost‘ unless you’re close up to the car.
  • black alloys only really look clean just after they’ve been washed. At other times, brake dust build up is quite visible.
  • gloss black alloys will show swirl marks in the same way as a black car does.
That‘s just my opinion though, and it’s good we don’t all like the same things 🙂.

I do really like anthracite coloured alloys though and have had them on my previous two cars - here’s a couple of pictures (sorry, not silver cars);

My Carbon Steel Grey mk6 Golf GTD with gloss anthracite VW Rotary alloys;
1DE2796D-6648-4864-89E7-08936D8919B8.jpeg

My 6c generation Blue Silk Polo GTI with gloss anthracite VW Motorsport alloys;
3C3105A6-B27E-43A0-ACB1-35614956860E.jpeg

There’s a couple of mk7 GTD’s with refurbished Nogaro Alloys in the discussion thread at the link below;
- post #12; a Tornado Red GTD with anthracite Nogaros
- post #66; a Pure White GTD with Nogaros finished in Audi Grey powder coat

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-gtd-owner-from-northern-ireland.345425/

On the black / anthracite theme, you could also consider smoked chrome which IMHO looks good. Also bear in mind that anthracite comes in different shades; the refurbishers should be able to show you shade cards so you can see the difference between the various shades they could use.

Whatever colour you choose, at the end of the day it’s your car and as long as you’re happy with your choice that’s all that matters…………and powder coating is a much more durable finish than a diamond cut finish (I dislike diamond cut alloys with a passion!).

Be sure to post up some pictures when you’ve got your refurbished wheels back on your car.

Heathy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 VW GTD

I was originally thinking of Gloss Anthracite but I saw a photo of some satin black nogaros ,which I’ll attach below, and thought they do look quite nice but seeing it on a bare rim and seeing them on a car are two different things. Don’t suppose anyone has any Satin black, gloss or matte anthracite wheels? Either on a silver golf or with nogaros? Any advice on issues or anything with any of the colours, what they like dirty, longevity etc?

I was also thinking matte anthracite too. Any ideas would be helpful to help me decide what would be best.
Like car paint colour, alloy wheel colour is a very personal thing so the responses you get may make you more confused as different people like different things. From a personal perspective, I‘m not a big fan of black alloys;
  • the design of the wheel tends to get ‘lost‘ unless you’re close up to the car.
  • black alloys only really look clean just after they’ve been washed. At other times, brake dust build up is quite visible.
  • gloss black alloys will show swirl marks in the same way as a black car does.
That‘s just my opinion though, and it’s good we don’t all like the same things 🙂.

I do really like anthracite coloured alloys though and have had them on my previous two cars - here’s a couple of pictures (sorry, not silver cars);

My Carbon Steel Grey mk6 Golf GTD with gloss anthracite VW Rotary alloys;
View attachment 251404

My 6c generation Blue Silk Polo GTI with gloss anthracite VW Motorsport alloys;
View attachment 251405

There’s a couple of mk7 GTD’s with refurbished Nogaro Alloys in the discussion thread at the link below;
- post #12; a Tornado Red GTD with anthracite Nogaros
- post #66; a Pure White GTD with Nogaros finished in Audi Grey powder coat

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-gtd-owner-from-northern-ireland.345425/

On the black / anthracite theme, you could also consider smoked chrome which IMHO looks good. Also bear in mind that anthracite comes in different shades; the refurbishers should be able to show you shade cards so you can see the difference between the various shades they could use.

Whatever colour you choose, at the end of the day it’s your car and as long as you’re happy with your choice that’s all that matters…………and powder coating is a much more durable finish than a diamond cut finish (I dislike diamond cut alloys with a passion!).

Be sure to post up some pictures when you’ve got your refurbished wheels back on your car.
Thanks for sharing they do look nice on those cars and also on the threads you posted, I think I will go for gloss anthracite and choose a shade on the day. I was originally going to get anthracite until I saw the satin black wheels so think it would be best to stick to the original plan I had, I’m not a massive fan of black wheels especially gloss black, would have only considered the satin finish but I think you are right.
I’ll be sure to post some pics at the end of the month when I get them done.

Datboireal

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GTD

I was originally thinking of Gloss Anthracite but I saw a photo of some satin black nogaros ,which I’ll attach below, and thought they do look quite nice but seeing it on a bare rim and seeing them on a car are two different things. Don’t suppose anyone has any Satin black, gloss or matte anthracite wheels? Either on a silver golf or with nogaros? Any advice on issues or anything with any of the colours, what they like dirty, longevity etc?

I was also thinking matte anthracite too. Any ideas would be helpful to help me decide what would be best.

Thanks for sharing they do look nice on those cars and also on the threads you posted, I think I will go for gloss anthracite and choose a shade on the day. I was originally going to get anthracite until I saw the satin black wheels so think it would be best to stick to the original plan I had, I’m not a massive fan of black wheels especially gloss black, would have only considered the satin finish but I think you are right.
I’ll be sure to post some pics at the end of the month when I get them done.

I had my Nogaro wheels refrub and painted gloss black the other week. Check out the link below :)

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-mk7-today.316916/post-7834028

Heathy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 VW GTD
I had my Nogaro wheels refrub and painted gloss black the other week. Check out the link below :)

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-mk7-today.316916/post-7834028
Thanks for sharing, they do suit your car actually and and don't look as lost as I thought, my only concern is the black on silver might be too stark of a contrast, I think I'm still leaning to anthracite for now but will keep looking and make sure I make the right choice, might just come down to what I like on the day when I see the colour options in person and maybe compare them to my paint work.

Heathy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 VW GTD
Got my wheels refurbished yesterday, went for a gloss anthracite, really happy with them and look just as imagined against the silver, just need to avoid any kerbs.

Attachments

• 368245CF-2461-4004-9A62-3AD3FAF73B73.jpeg
    368245CF-2461-4004-9A62-3AD3FAF73B73.jpeg
    677.1 KB · Views: 233
  • BC6CE43D-C2D8-434B-90E6-C04C838176E8.jpeg
    BC6CE43D-C2D8-434B-90E6-C04C838176E8.jpeg
    750.8 KB · Views: 255
  • 70D8B851-F360-458E-9B0D-3E4A1A18C3DC.jpeg
    70D8B851-F360-458E-9B0D-3E4A1A18C3DC.jpeg
    849 KB · Views: 264
  • A1B67B35-DFD9-4393-8419-4C06A9DCD17E.jpeg
    A1B67B35-DFD9-4393-8419-4C06A9DCD17E.jpeg