GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Junk it ?? Or save it ???

DONDIWHO

Ready to race!
2007 VW GTI 169,000 miles on it, and I guess the bolt holding the timing pulley came out and broke the timing cover but the belt is still attached..... Is this a very expensive job ?? is it worth it ??? Anyone still out there.......??
20210423_175647.jpg
20210423_175658.jpg
20210423_175653.jpg

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Hard to say without knowing all the damage that might have been caused?? If the cam journals are damaged the head is trash and need a new or used head etc. If you are not doing the labor yourself not worth it.

DONDIWHO

Ready to race!
Hard to say without knowing all the damage that might have been caused?? If the cam journals are damaged the head is trash and need a new or used head etc. If you are not doing the labor yourself not worth it.
No not doing it myself......

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
No I am referring to the exhaust cam EX.

Do you know why this usually happens? Chain tensioner failure? Previous cam follower failure wrecking cam journals? Maybe incorrect timing belt tensioner setting? Or just random manufacturing flaws in the exhaust cam?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I have seen this occur in both the intake and exhaust cams but more so with the exhaust. As you can see these cam are not only hollow but a multi-piece. Saw one person actually turn one section of the cam shaft to get the lobes to line up so they could set the timing.