GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Haldex set to increased traction.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
OK, has anyone tried out the United Motorsport Haldex performance reflash? http://unitedmotorsport.net/products/haldex-software/?vehicleId=1377&productId=1491 It sounds pretty interesting.

I've done 6 track days, an autocross, and a 2000 mile road trip since installing the UM Haldex tune at the end of April. The effect of the tune is primarily felt on deceleration. The rear diff remains engaged and you can feel the inside rear wheel slowing while remaining engaged and responding to engine braking, and helping to rotate the car. The effects are less noticeable when on the throttle but I can feel some push coming from the outside rear wheel when accelerating out of a turn. I only use launch control for autocross events and I didn't notice any changes there. I run grippy tires (200tw or r-comps) on a grippy surface and the car just hooks up and goes. I go into eco mode on long road trips and I didn't observe any worse fuel economy than usual on my long trip. I don't feel the tune in my normal driving, but I generally don't drive like an a-hole on public streets.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Have you noticed any significant trade-offs for those of us who use our R's as daily drivers?

Mine is a daily driver and no tradeoffs whatsoever, superior traction in corners. You can get the tail end to step out more when you try. Rear and engages more on acceleration, other than that you can hardly tell anything has been changed.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Meh. Their "graph" for a Gen 1. Are not many of their claims already incorporated into Gen 5 software, like engagement on decal in Sport mode and disengagement on cruise? No numbers on amount of increased power to rear wheels. Isn't it already 50%.

Mosquito

Go Kart Newbie
I am also skeptical on some of the information claimed, or lack there of.
Plus for $600, I'd better notice a difference.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
Adam on Vortex got the UM Haldex tune and said it is night and day difference.

I'd love to set this to increased traction for now and try the UM tune eventually, judging from the graphs, it hooks up way better.

solaris1

Ready to race!
Adam on Vortex got the UM Haldex tune and said it is night and day difference.

I'd love to set this to increased traction for now and try the UM tune eventually, judging from the graphs, it hooks up way better.

Yeah, I know Adam C. He doesn't seem to say much about it, installed only 2 days ago, but I'll check with him. Thanks for the tip.

Memonstatus

I got significantly lower gas milage with “increased traction” somewhere like 20% lower, which is more than I’m willing to pay for a daily driver. I think I’ll use it for autoX but not much else.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Meh. Their "graph" for a Gen 1. Are not many of their claims already incorporated into Gen 5 software, like engagement on decal in Sport mode and disengagement on cruise? No numbers on amount of increased power to rear wheels. Isn't it already 50%.
Old post but here you go - the data. Disengagement on cruise is part of the stock setup so no issue there, it just continues. Not sure on the engagement on deaccel - will need to do some logging there.

I don't believe that the "increased traction" mod does a thing or at least folks have on clue what this does. It's just speculation and butt dyno. I did a bunch of logging of the Haldex activity and got no variation no matter which of the three settings I used (standard/increased traction/reduced noises) on a course I have but I digress...

Per United, the stock setup can transfer a max of 50% of the available torque. Stock on my Sportwagen was 199 lb-ft so theoretically 50% can be transferred for ~100 lb-ft. The tune is supposed to remove that limit and allow 50% of whatever power you are making so for me on the IS38/Unitronic, that's around 325 per Uni's dyno sheet so I should now be able to get 50% of that for 162 lb-ft. I was getting a max of roughly 30% of the available before the tune.

The Graph shows a standing launch pre- and post-tune logging within the brake control unit (3) the awd channel "nM". This is clearly not the actual torque but some proxy/measurement that the ECU uses and matches roughly what United's graph on their site looks like so figured this was the way to do it. I didn't take the post-tune run up to the same speed as the pre-tune run so that's why the post-tune line drops off out on the right. OBDEleven sucks big-time for logging and doesn't always use the same interval for data points - I did the best I could normalizing them and some of the slight differences in the 2 graphs' trend matching each other are most likely related to that but it's close enough.

Datazap file:
https://datazap.me/.../pre-vs-post-haldex-tune-launch...

Haldex tune graph.JPG

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Old post but here you go - the data. Disengagement on cruise is part of the stock setup so no issue there, it just continues. Not sure on the engagement on deaccel - will need to do some logging there.

I don't believe that the "increased traction" mod does a thing or at least folks have on clue what this does. It's just speculation and butt dyno. I did a bunch of logging of the Haldex activity and got no variation no matter which of the three settings I used (standard/increased traction/reduced noises) on a course I have but I digress...

Per United, the stock setup can transfer a max of 50% of the available torque. Stock on my Sportwagen was 199 lb-ft so theoretically 50% can be transferred for ~100 lb-ft. The tune is supposed to remove that limit and allow 50% of whatever power you are making so for me on the IS38/Unitronic, that's around 325 per Uni's dyno sheet so I should now be able to get 50% of that for 162 lb-ft. I was getting a max of roughly 30% of the available before the tune.

The Graph shows a standing launch pre- and post-tune logging within the brake control unit (3) the awd channel "nM". This is clearly not the actual torque but some proxy/measurement that the ECU uses and matches roughly what United's graph on their site looks like so figured this was the way to do it. I didn't take the post-tune run up to the same speed as the pre-tune run so that's why the post-tune line drops off out on the right. OBDEleven sucks big-time for logging and doesn't always use the same interval for data points - I did the best I could normalizing them and some of the slight differences in the 2 graphs' trend matching each other are most likely related to that but it's close enough.

Datazap file:
https://datazap.me/.../pre-vs-post-haldex-tune-launch...

View attachment 212266
Oh wow. That’s interesting. So setting increase traction does nothing on the wagon and R ?

on the GTI (different system, I know) it at least removes a lot of the crappy terminal under steer. While removing that funky delay you feel before the vaq wants to actually work.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Oh wow. That’s interesting. So setting increase traction does nothing on the wagon and R ?

on the GTI (different system, I know) it at least removes a lot of the crappy terminal under steer. While removing that funky delay you feel before the vaq wants to actually work.
I'm simply saying that nobody knows because it's all speculation. No data. I've read folks say they don't feel any difference to one dude saying his Haldex was on full time with this change....hahaha well which is it because it can't be both. Placebo can be a powerful drug. We have the tool to make these changes and log what's going on but nobody seems to care to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: krs

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I'm simply saying that nobody knows because it's all speculation. No data. I've read folks say they don't feel any difference to one dude saying his Haldex was on full time with this change....hahaha well which is it because it can't be both. Placebo can be a powerful drug.
Oh I see. That makes sense. My brother did it to his R and said he felt the rear become a bit more dynamic but he was unsure. Then he did the 50/50 Bluetooth thingy and he fell in love with it

Mk7gtifl

Ready to race!
you can feel more power going to the rear in a way, But the dragy says otherwise, never had any faster 0-60 on increase traction or turning off starting vibrations, here are some testing on 0/60 on 3/21 it was IT off on 4/05 it was on. You be the judge.

Attachments

• 64A2CAF2-0137-41D6-B92D-35E822177364.png
    64A2CAF2-0137-41D6-B92D-35E822177364.png
    381.5 KB · Views: 184