GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Reviving my car (opinions welcome).

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Hello all, I've been a member of the forums since the start. I migrated over from GolfMKV when I had my Mk5 TR GTI, but I've been MIA here for years.

This is a long one, so thanks if you make it to the end!

I bought my 2011 CW GTI back in 2011, brand new. I kept it completely stock except for suspension which came from my 2007 GTI. I drove that car around A LOT. I don't even remember the mileage at this point, but it was over 100,000. Then about 4-5 years ago, it died on me. I honestly don't remember what was wrong with it. I towed it to a trusted shop in the area, and they began to check what was wrong with it. It had no oil. I don't know if it was a leak I didn't notice, or what. It was more money than I had to put into the car at that point and my work commute was far. The cost to fix the engine was enough to where the mechanic said it might just be better to replace the engine. I needed something reliable.

We decided to cut our losses and just have it towed to my parent's house and maybe sell it as is. My dad said he'd take care that. He talked about fixing it and driving it, fixing it and selling it, or just selling it to someone willing to fix it. Time went by and it just never happened. 2020 rolled around and COVID hit and it felt like that year just disappeared. Early 2021, by dad got COVID and never recovered. I sadly lost him in February. He was 80 years old. It was the hardest thing I've ever gone through. Now, I along with my mom and my sisters and my wife, are trying to get things squared away. Lots of things to do. One of the things was the VW. It was just sitting there. We decided we'd try to sell it. Maybe one of those "I'll buy your car in any condition" guys would buy it from us. Then I started thinking it would be nice to fix it. So, that's where I find myself now.

I called up the mechanic and he said he'd start looking for a new engine and he'd let me know when he found it.

There are a few things that the car needs aside from the new engine. New windshield (it was broken when the car stopped working). New headliner (It started drooping a couple months prior to it's death).

Am I crazy?

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
If it's in otherwise good shape, you may not be crazy but for a 2011 GTI that needs an engine and other things, it may be the cost of all that is more than the car would be worth even if running.

It's really up to you.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Nop
Hello all, I've been a member of the forums since the start. I migrated over from GolfMKV when I had my Mk5 TR GTI, but I've been MIA here for years.

This is a long one, so thanks if you make it to the end!

I bought my 2011 CW GTI back in 2011, brand new. I kept it completely stock except for suspension which came from my 2007 GTI. I drove that car around A LOT. I don't even remember the mileage at this point, but it was over 100,000. Then about 4-5 years ago, it died on me. I honestly don't remember what was wrong with it. I towed it to a trusted shop in the area, and they began to check what was wrong with it. It had no oil. I don't know if it was a leak I didn't notice, or what. It was more money than I had to put into the car at that point and my work commute was far. The cost to fix the engine was enough to where the mechanic said it might just be better to replace the engine. I needed something reliable.

We decided to cut our losses and just have it towed to my parent's house and maybe sell it as is. My dad said he'd take care that. He talked about fixing it and driving it, fixing it and selling it, or just selling it to someone willing to fix it. Time went by and it just never happened. 2020 rolled around and COVID hit and it felt like that year just disappeared. Early 2021, by dad got COVID and never recovered. I sadly lost him in February. He was 80 years old. It was the hardest thing I've ever gone through. Now, I along with my mom and my sisters and my wife, are trying to get things squared away. Lots of things to do. One of the things was the VW. It was just sitting there. We decided we'd try to sell it. Maybe one of those "I'll buy your car in any condition" guys would buy it from us. Then I started thinking it would be nice to fix it. So, that's where I find myself now.

I called up the mechanic and he said he'd start looking for a new engine and he'd let me know when he found it.

There are a few things that the car needs aside from the new engine. New windshield (it was broken when the car stopped working). New headliner (It started drooping a couple months prior to it's death).

Am I crazy?
Nope. If you have the $ do it.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
My condolences with the loss of your Father.... Going through that must have been hard. I see him whispering to you what/how to fix stuff as you take on that project regardless of what road you decide to take. Do what your heart says if your wallet can take it.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Crazy, not at all. If you decide to sell it, it shouldn't be too difficult. Plenty of people looking for rebuild projects that they can turn into drivers or fun cars. Sorry for your loss.

The head liner and windshield isn't a huge deal. You're probably looking at around $7-800 for both installed.

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
Thank you all for your replies! I'm leaning towards fixing it. I know once fixed it might not be worth what I'd be putting into it. But I'd love to see it running again and I'd love to be able to drive it. I gave it a good wash over the weekend and it looks pretty good for a car that's been sitting years. If we can get it going then I'll put more time and effort into a full detail.